• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
So, I picked up a Civic Type R over the weekend... It had 8 miles on the odo upon pick up. Drove it ~200 miles back home yesterday morning with my teenage son in tow...

Quick First Impressions
It is a great looking car! The Sonic Gray Pearl looks so much better in person than in photos. I thought the red interior would be too much. I actually don't mind it at all. It kind of disappears when you're sitting in it.

So far, I've driven the car around town in the city and taken it on the expressway a couple of times...

I must say, to be completely honest, from a driver's experience perspective, the Type R is completely underwhelming and I DO NOT see the allure of it AT ALL!! Perhaps I need to give it more time, but I am left wondering what is it I'm missing that everyone else is talking about this car being the next best thing since buttered toast.

I tried all modes - Comfort, Sport, +R. They were all "meh". Comfort was probably the best feeling. However, I did not mind the +R mode that everyone complains about. I like to 'feel the road' when I drive. I do think the transmission in the FK8 I drove a year ago felt better than the FL5. The FK8 transmission produced a 'snick, snick' sense. The tranny in the FL5 is 'softer'... not bad, just not as good.

I do think the dealer filled the tank with 87 octane. I filled it up with 91 last night... I'll give it another go today to see if that makes any difference.

I also own a '22 Elantra N w/MT. By comparison, the experience of driving the N completely blows the Type R away, BY FAR. The first thing I missed when driving the Type R was the crackling and popping I get such a kick out of when driving the N. The N is just so visceral and screams "Lets go, Let's go! Come on, Come on" when you push it. The Type R evokes no such vicious or raw attitude.

I have the N ready to be sold. But, at this time, I'm thinking if the Type R does not deliver on my expectations to at least be equally comparable (or better) to the N, I'll have to buy another N soon. I like the changes I've seen on the '24 model...

For the Type R owners out there, am I missing something? I'm being serious here... I love hatchbacks and really want to love this car. But at this time, it's really not doing it for me.

Will provide an update later after more seat time.

11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 84649ddf-af44-4c1f-8863-97ed110bb4aa_1_105_c-jpe

I still have the Elantra N w/MT...

11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 9d4f2fda-2241-471d-ac4c-30e4a26c62a0_1_105_c-jpe
Sponsored

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
What are you using the car for? If it's just to drive around the city and the expressway, maybe consider an Audi?

Honestly I feel like if you're the type to even consider a Hyundai, then it's the better choice.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Thanks for sharing your candid feedback; it's truly appreciated, even though it will be unpopular around here.

I completely relate to your concerns, as I've been driving the GR Yaris for a while now, and it has set a high bar for expectations. It's difficult to determine if the Type R will meet the same level of excitement without experiencing it firsthand. Unfortunately, test-driving might not be a viable option for many of us.

Nonetheless, there's no denying the allure surrounding the Type R, and its strong reputation should make selling it relatively hassle-free. It's a subjective decision, and while I might worry about the comparison, there's a good chance it will find a passionate new owner eager to embrace its charms.

OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
What are you using the car for? If it's just to drive around the city and the expressway, maybe consider an Audi?

Honestly I feel like if you're the type to even consider a Hyundai, then it's the better choice.

Not surprised by this response. Was expecting this...

I have taken the car to some local areas with twisties and long sweeping curves. It was very good. However, nothing too significantly different from what the Elantra N can do...

For long time owners, have you tried 87 v 91/93 octane? If so, have you notices difference in performance?

Let me be clear, this is NOT a trolling post or an attempt to gain attention or get into a tit for tat exchange. I'm really trying to figure out - "What am I missing?".

AlpineBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Picked up my CTR on Friday with 10 miles on it. Owned a '22 Veloster N for about a year and just traded it for a '23 Kona N last month. I've only put 40 miles on the CTR since Friday and have kept it under 4-5k RPM while on the other hand I've driven the hell out of both the VN and KN. The N cars are fun, overachievers, better than they probably have any business being but I can already tell they're no CTR.

11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 1690824228836

11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 1690822351054

Last edited:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
I love both but if I have to choose I pick the CTR(if I can get it pretty close to MSRP).
I hate Hyundai's approach of cutting costs by using questionable parts.

Engines stalling after a carwash, injectors, or ignition coils giving out is something that you can see in their communities prooves that is a subpar product overall.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

I have taken the car to some local areas with twisties and long sweeping curves. It was very good. However, nothing too significantly different from what the Elantra N can do...

For long time owners, have you tried 87 v 91/93 octane? If so, have you notices difference in performance?

Let me be clear, this is NOT a trolling post or an attempt to gain attention or get into a tit for tat exchange. I'm really trying to figure out - "What am I missing?".
11th Gen Honda Civic Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions 1690822693854

Deleted member 42932

So, I picked up a Civic Type R over the weekend... It had 8 miles on the odo upon pick up. Drove it ~200 miles back home yesterday morning with my teenage son in tow...

Quick First Impressions
It is a great looking car! The Sonic Gray Pearl looks so much better in person than in photos. I thought the red interior would be too much. I actually don't mind it at all. It kind of disappears when you're sitting in it.

So far, I've driven the car around town in the city and taken it on the expressway a couple of times...

I must say, to be completely honest, from a driver's experience perspective, the Type R is completely underwhelming and I DO NOT see the allure of it AT ALL!! Perhaps I need to give it more time, but I am left wondering what is it I'm missing that everyone else is talking about this car being the next best thing since buttered toast.

I tried all modes - Comfort, Sport, +R. They were all "meh". Comfort was probably the best feeling. However, I did not mind the +R mode that everyone complains about. I like to 'feel the road' when I drive. I do think the transmission in the FK8 I drove a year ago felt better than the FL5. The FK8 transmission produced a 'snick, snick' sense. The tranny in the FL5 is 'softer'... not bad, just not as good.

I do think the dealer filled the tank with 87 octane. I filled it up with 91 last night... I'll give it another go today to see if that makes any difference.

I also own a '22 Elantra N w/MT. By comparison, the experience of driving the N completely blows the Type R away, BY FAR. The first thing I missed when driving the Type R was the crackling and popping I get such a kick out of when driving the N. The N is just so visceral and screams "Lets go, Let's go! Come on, Come on" when you push it. The Type R evokes no such vicious or raw attitude.

I have the N ready to be sold. But, at this time, I'm thinking if the Type R does not deliver on my expectations to at least be equally comparable (or better) to the N, I'll have to buy another N soon. I like the changes I've seen on the '24 model...

For the Type R owners out there, am I missing something? I'm being serious here... I love hatchbacks and really want to love this car. But at this time, it's really not doing it for me.

Will provide an update later after more seat time.

84649ddf-af44-4c1f-8863-97ed110bb4aa_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg

I still have the Elantra N w/MT...

9d4f2fda-2241-471d-ac4c-30e4a26c62a0_1_105_c-jpeg.jpg

SG and BB are my favorite colors for the R. I also don't have the R yet, but I'm interested in what current owners have to say.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R

Im going to be perfectly candid:
If you have not noticed any difference between the Type R and the EN, you either are not pushing the car hard enough (which is fair since its on the road), or you have the sensitivity of the Hulk.

You will only really see the advantages of the Civic over 7/10ths and many people should not be driving like that on the road anyway. If you dont plan to track the car or experience it on a road course near its limit, then its possible its not the car for you. The EN has lots of theater, its still a fun package, and a lot less money.

The Type R in comparison is very sedated until you drive it hard. Sometimes its so comfortable you can forget you are driving the top trim Civic, which to some is part of its charm. Its more mature and apart of the specialness of the Type R is knowing all the little details that add up to the complete package.

If you only buy cars because magazines tell you to I can see why someone may be unimpressed as its still a FWD economy car, the specialness to it is that at the limit it drives like cars that dont exist anymore or are 50k more. The EN has some of that too but its much more distilled. If you expected it to be a 50k Porsche 911 GT3 then it seems to be an issue of expectations.
Sponsored