• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Just Picked Up - Quick Impressions

CloudEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' FL5 Civic Type R
I've looked at both the M2 and Supra and came to the same conclusion with regards to the Supra. I did not like the lack of visibility from inside the cramped cabin and finding one is damn near impossible at the moment. I will give it credit for the B58 and the addition of a 6-speed manual.

I am in the minority and think the G87 M2 looks fine. Doing an A:B comparison of the F87 and G87, I will side with the majority and say the F87 generation wins in the exterior department. Aside from that, the G87 is more refined and has the S58 coupled with the ZF8 or 6-speed. Yes, it is heavy, but all the reviews I've read state that it somehow manages to feel light on its feet.
I actually managed to find a Supra at MSRP and placed a refundable deposit. But yeah, I thought reviews overplayed the poor visibility but my test drive was a real eye opener.

I do agree with most of your points on the M2. I don't think it's as ugly as people say, I think it can look pretty mean in black. But in that baby blue I don't think there's a single angle that looks good. Aside from that, yes the G87 is really solid and well rounded.
Sponsored

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I actually managed to find a Supra at MSRP and placed a refundable deposit. But yeah, I thought reviews overplayed the poor visibility but my test drive was a real eye opener.

I do agree with most of your points on the M2. I don't think it's as ugly as people say, I think it can look pretty mean in black. But in that baby blue I don't think there's a single angle that looks good. Aside from that, yes the G87 is really solid and well rounded.
By the time I had decided I wanted to purchase an enthusiast car in the current economy, everything turned into basically unobtainium.

Glad you had the opportunity to find one at MSRP even though you ultimately passed on it.

AlpineBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I've looked at both the M2 and Supra and came to the same conclusion with regards to the Supra. I did not like the lack of visibility from inside the cramped cabin and finding one is damn near impossible at the moment. I will give it credit for the B58 and the addition of a 6-speed manual.

I am in the minority and think the G87 M2 looks fine. Doing an A:B comparison of the F87 and G87, I will side with the majority and say the F87 generation wins in the exterior department. Aside from that, the G87 is more refined and has the S58 coupled with the ZF8 or 6-speed. Yes, it is heavy, but all the reviews I've read state that it somehow manages to feel light on its feet.
I really like the G87 and may still get one once we found out what the final MY with a manual will be, but I think I'll take a break from always worrying about what car might be next and just enjoy the ones I have for now.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I test drove an i30N, which is similar to the Elantra, and it did nothing for me. The exhaust I found childish and grating. The gear change, average at best. The clutch, overly springy. The brakes, overservoed.

The Honda is much more refined. A lot of attention has been paid to the small details, and it shows as soon as you open the door. It is fun to drive even slowly, reveling in the amazingly tactile controls. If that level of polish is lost on the OP, they may be better off with the cheaper Hyundai.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I test drove an i30N, which is similar to the Elantra, and it did nothing for me. The exhaust I found childish and grating. The gear change, average at best. The clutch, overly springy. The brakes, overservoed.

The Honda is much more refined. A lot of attention has been paid to the small details, and it shows as soon as you open the door. It is fun to drive even slowly, reveling in the amazingly tactile controls. If that level of polish is lost on the OP, they may be better off with the cheaper Hyundai.
Spot on, simply put the honda feels amazing.

firstcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for CTR
Not sure why people still complain about maintenance costs of new BMWs. They come with comprehensive free maintenance to 3 years/36,000 miles that can affordably be extended to 7 years/100,000 miles. The current crop of M cars are also very reliable.

You'll also get loaners - I had a brand new $135k 2023 760i xDrive as my loaner the last time I dropped one of mine off.

The CTR at $50-55k is fair value. Great driving experience paired with full daily-driver usability. Perfect offering for dads still looking to do the weekend warrior thing and moneyed enthusiasts who want a daily driver with legitimate performance creds to pair with something like a GT3. Above that price, the new M2 is a far better proposition. Weight issue is completely overrated. Stop looking at spec sheets, get off YouTube, and start driving.

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R Championship White
Not surprised by this response. Was expecting this...

I have taken the car to some local areas with twisties and long sweeping curves. It was very good. However, nothing too significantly different from what the Elantra N can do...

For long time owners, have you tried 87 v 91/93 octane? If so, have you notices difference in performance?

Let me be clear, this is NOT a trolling post or an attempt to gain attention or get into a tit for tat exchange. I'm really trying to figure out - "What am I missing?".
I can’t seem to take you seriously when you say you’re not trolling while your name is “poops”

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Not sure why people still complain about maintenance costs of new BMWs. They come with comprehensive free maintenance to 3 years/36,000 miles that can affordably be extended to 7 years/100,000 miles. The current crop of M cars are also very reliable.

You'll also get loaners - I had a brand new $135k 2023 760i xDrive as my loaner the last time I dropped one of mine off.

The CTR at $50-55k is fair value. Great driving experience paired with full daily-driver usability. Perfect offering for dads still looking to do the weekend warrior thing and moneyed enthusiasts who want a daily driver with legitimate performance creds to pair with something like a GT3. Above that price, the new M2 is a far better proposition. Weight issue is completely overrated. Stop looking at spec sheets, get off YouTube, and start driving.
M2 looks like poops

OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
The Elantra N is legitimately a good car — I've owned both the DCT and MT. I'd be curious how many people comparing it to the CTR (besides OP) have actually owned both.
Type R is always compared to the Elantra N. Even one of the TheStraightPipes guys said he'd pick the N over the R. When he was questioned about the choice, his response was "Have you driven it...?"

OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
I think that the cars are close enough that it can come down to whichever one may prefer. You add to the mix that you can choose transmission in the Hyundai.

OP mentioned the pops and bangs exhaust as something that excites him. You combine that with a car that is an excellent driving car and less expensive, I can see where he/she could walk away, unsure if the Type R was the right decision.

As consistent as every review suggests or outright says the Civic Type R is the best in class... I have seen the same consistency on the Elantra N being more entertaining.
Appreciate the open minded and informed responses so far.

Every comparison of both cars I've viewed where the reviewers have chosen the R over the N have done so by a very, very, very slim margin. They use language like "...the Type R just feels. special..." or "...it makes me feel like I'm driving something special..."

I think we can all agree that if the Type R emitted more visceral and raw sounds, it'd vastly enhance the driving experience.

OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
I am genuinely concerned that the guys willing to pay 10k over or that paid 10k over and then spent 4k to full PPF the car aren’t here with their answer to why you don’t love Hondas version of the GT3RS 🤣🤣. At the end of the day it’s just a really cool looking car, with a lil pep to it, that handles really well on roads 97% of us don’t experience on our daily commutes. Honda fan boys and paid off YouTubers sold this for Honda, they sold it long and hard. It’s incredible what mythos can do and then pair that with “built in Japan” sheeeesh it was game over from jump. You’re not “missing” anything. You have the leading competitive car in the class which has some really cool features the type R doesn’t have and you paid a hell of a lot less for the car that gives you a rush and makes some cool ass noises. Honda is a great product but its fans tend to be toxic boy racers that are making the tough pill they took, easier to swallow.

and before I get flamed. I have exclusively owned Hondas my entire life. 34 now. 96 DX hatch (manual
And no power steering lol), 2007 GD3, 2009 GE8, 2012 SI sedan, 2019 accord 2.0, lived with a FK8 for a month.
Also maybe it’s cuz I’m a big fatty but I’m only 5’8” and I swear 1. You sit way lower in the FK8 (FL5 I feel I’m at top of wondshield) am I sitting in the seat wrong 🤣 and 2. The drivers area was bigger in the Fk8. Fl5 feels cramped.

anyways So I can talk my ish, picking up my FL5 very soon I’m just a realist and can call a spade a spade. I like what I like and I don’t need anyone else to sell me something. Be yourself and enjoy the drive.
Hear, Hear!!

Glad to see we're all NOT sheep around here...

Last edited:
OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
I can’t seem to take you seriously when you say you’re not trolling while your name is “poops”
Geez... Really? I hope you're joking and NOT serious with this comment.

Last edited:
OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
My RS3 story is really lucky — I happened to check in with my local dealership the same morning someone backed out of their incoming allocation. I picked up the car a month later at MSRP.

I've only owned it for 3 weeks and 1,200 miles (including one road trip but no track time), so I don't feel like I can give too many detailed thoughts. Previous cars I've owned for reference are a MT Elantra N, DCT Elantra N, Fiesta ST, and Mazdaspeed3. I've driven an FK8 and ITS but not the FL5.

The car is in on a different level compared to all of those cars, and it should be for the price. It's faster and more capable than those cars, while also being more comfortable and luxurious.

Cons to the RS3 so far: no manual (I knew that going in obviously), steering feel is not as good as the Elantra N or ITS/FK8, the steering wheel is bigger than I'd like, and the stock tires are not great.

Everything else rules. The engine is nuts. The rear differential, power, engine sound, and suspension tuning makes the car so fun to hustle down a back road. The rear torque splitter makes the car very engaging to drive, and that plus the engine sound has me laughing every time. The limits are high. The car feels composed but playful. It's also amazing on a road trip — it's comfortable and luxurious in a way the other cars are not.

The pros to an FL5/ITS/EN are steering feel and a manual gearbox — and for the two Honda cars, a hatchback. I think the FL5 and ITS make sense at MSRP (barely, in the case of the ITS), but not with any markup. To me the Elantra N is the most impressive out of all of them for the money — in a number of ways, it feels nicer than the ITS (seats, steering wheel, no rattles after 7K miles while the ITS was rattling away at ~30 miles) but also more playful — and it costs $20K less! I wish they made it in a hatch, but I'm glad they're at least making it look not as terrible for the 2024 model year.

At the end of the day, they are all special cars — you just have to decide what's important to you. I'm still figuring that out for myself but I feel really lucky to get to drive the RS3.
OH MY GAWD, I WISH HYUNDAI MADE THE EN IN A HATCH!!!

OP
OP

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
Bud ,to make this comment, that's its underwhelming you must not really drive the car then....and to say that your elentra is a better drive....is just a straight out lie.....I own a fl5 amd u drive a elentra N and not even a comparison....You must be on the hook with Hyundai the are cheap built imitations...of real performance vehicles....and their price point proves it. IF you have stock in Hyundai or something it's ok....
My goodness! Really? Wow!

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Appreciate the open minded and informed responses so far.

Every comparison of both cars I've viewed where the reviewers have chosen the R over the N have done so by a very, very, very slim margin. They use language like "...the Type R just feels. special..." or "...it makes me feel like I'm driving something special..."

I think we can all agree that if the Type R emitted more visceral and raw sounds, it'd vastly enhance the driving experience.
I get the impression you have come across reviews where someone takes the N over the R?

I haven't seen that. Maybe you could share those examples. I feel like I've seen all Type R related stuff online anyway.

If there is that I'm sure they discuss the price gap as the reason. The fact that the Elantra N can be mentioned a class above itself is really saying something...

I mean just cutting to the chase of it. If we are talking about the best fwd performance car. It isn't the Elantra N. It very likely is the FL5.

Of course.. I am biased.
Sponsored

Last edited: