• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Random first-day impressions...

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R Boost Blue Pearl
Bizarre day.

In order to pay for my new 2024 Boost Blue FL5, I sold two other cars to a local dealership. They said their business office was closed for the day, and the checks would be ready the following day. The following day, nope, I was told that the GSM and GM are the only people who can sign the checks, and they're out of town at a conference, and won't be back until late that night. So, now I was told to pick them up the next day.

I arrive at the dealership the next day, only to discover that they typed the wrong name on my checks. They had to redo them, which ended up taking another two and a half hours. I was fuming while pacing their showroom floor, because my buddy was taking off work to pick me up from this first dealership to take me to the second one an hour away, where I was going to buy the Type R.

Serendipity time!

About two hours into that additional two and half hour wait, a different dealer (a local dealer, only twenty minutes away) called me to ask whether I'd bought a Type R yet. I told him I was heading out shortly to go grab one for msrp, no dealer markup, and no dealer add-ons. The sales guy said he was calling because his place was finally willing to sell me their Boost Blue for msrp, with no markups of any kind. I asked him whether it had any add-ons, and he said that it had chrome wheel locks, all weather mats, the Type R trunk pad, and LoJack. I told him, no thanks, I'm not paying for any of that, and he shocked the hell out of me by telling me, no problem, we'll still sell it to you for the base msrp, and all that other crap will be included at no extra cost. Best of all, to me anyway, was that his Type R did not have the front license plate bracket installed. The other place's Type R had it installed, which I absolutely did not want.

I decided to take the local deal, which only happened for me as a result of this other dealership continually delaying me with their screwups in getting my checks ready. Otherwise, I would have ended up getting the one from the distant dealer, with less stuff on it, and a license plate bracket I loathe. The local dealer somehow even ended up being $180 cheaper OTD, once they totaled up the fees.

Very cool, I have to say.

With 8 miles showing on the odometer, I took a bunch of twisty backroads home, wanting to avoid droning the engine, and also wanting to check out the various drive modes over a multitude of bumpy surfaces.

Okay, my initial random impressions...

Absolutely zero fake engine noise, or exhaust sounds. I was trying to limit it to 4K RPM, so I assume that's why there was no piped in engine noise, not even in +R mode. In Comfort mode at those low RPM the engine was nearly as quiet as my Camry Hybrid. I assume that once I can get the RPM up above 5K the fake engine noise will introduce itself, but my initial impression was that leaving the fake noise in the quietest Comfort setting will probably be good enough for me. I'm thinking I may not feel the need to disconnect it.

I was fairly astonished at first by how much road noise I was hearing. It almost seemed louder than my soft top ND2 Miata with the top up. Certainly the Type R's wide, sticky tires were noisier by far, which seemed to be exacerbated by the Honda's lack of sound-deadening materials. By the end of the drive home, however, up on the freeway, talking to my buddy via the car's Bluetooth, I realized that it was definitely quieter than the Miata...except for when I'd hit certain rough patches of concrete, which would set off an unholy roar in the cabin.

Oh, well. Loud, but no biggie. I'll get used to it.

What I will not get used to, however, was this seriously annoying buzzing sound coming from somewhere around or behind the infotainment screen. Man, was that thing nasty. Even worse, passing through certain RPM in first and second gear creates this harmonic effect that made the buzzing go absolutely apeshit. It would rise and fall in concert with the RPM...bzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz, then, once I cleared that bad zone, it would fizzle out and return to its normal intermittent buzzing.

I'll give it a few hundred miles to see if it mellows out as the car settles in before I take it in to have it checked. I know from reading this board that this is a common problem with the Civics, and Honda has a Service Bulletin for it that advises adding felt beneath all the plastic pieces in that area.

In terms of handling the bumps, Comfort mode seems pretty damn competent. No complaints. I don't need that mode to be more comfortable. It's fine on the freeway, and also in the canyons. Sport mode was fine too, at least until I hit the harsher roads. I think I preferred Sport mode in the twisties, but not on really bad tarmac. +R mode was surprising, because I found it to be mostly do-able. On those same harsh stretches that didn't get along with Sport mode, +R mode was bouncier still, and less composed overall, but on most of the other roads it was reasonably acceptable.

I'd say the jury is still out as to whether I'll pop for the softer ITS module. I can see where it would help with Sport and +R, but I think I might find it to be too soft and floaty in Comfort mode. I'll keep testing for a decent bit before I decide.

The overall handling is flat-out ridiculous. If there is a faster car in the canyons, I'd like to see it. My ND2 is way more light, flickable, and fun, and it certainly feels like I'm going faster, but when I look down at the Type R's speedo, well...hell. It's like a video game, and that's while driving her when she's still in bed, hardly even awake yet. Once I can really open her up, my god, she's going to monster any public road. The grip is insane. It's just unreal, how effortlessly she generates and maintains corner speed.

Love the nearly complete lack of body roll. Holy crap, does that thing handle.

The shifter, and the tranny?

Coming from a Miata, I was expecting the much ballyhooed Type R pairing to be great, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away, because the Miata's is already world class, and I'm so well used to it. However...yep, the Type R's is at least as good, and maybe even a hair better. It feels more solid. It's definitely less notchy, which may or may not be a good thing. Strictly personal preference there, but the Type R's certainly feels heftier, and more...Germanic? Porsche-like?

Whatever. I'm confident that nothing shy of the GT3's shifter/tranny is in this league, other than the Miata's. I may as well call it perfect, because I can't find any fault with it. Even the rev matching works perfectly. The entire thing is a work of mechanical art. Can't wait to feel it fully unleashed.

I noticed zero rev hang, but at such low RPM, of course there wouldn't be any. Again, the jury will have to remain out on that one, but I'm not the least bit worried. It'll be fine.

I was certainly struck by just how large the Type R is, and genuinely feels. On those canyon roads, it takes up most of the lane. Have to be careful not to ride the center line, without meaning to. Again, coming from the go-kart-sized Miata, the Type R felt like a wicked sharp Camry, it's so long and wide. Huge amount of cabin space for the driver and passenger. Looking over to the passenger door, it seemed damn near as far away as the Camry's.

Pretty killer sound system, which is a very new and welcome thing in any Honda product. After decades of crappy "Honda Premium" sound systems, this outsourced Bose system is a serious upgrade.

Love that the annoying Lane Departure Warning can be shut off without any yellow warning lights popping up in the gauges. I always hated that about the Miata. If you shut it off, you get this obnoxious yellow light glaring at you within the instrument cluster. No such issues with the Honda.

I also love that it has that drive-away function with the parking brake. You don't have to manually release it. As long as the seatlbelt is clicked in, you're able to drive right through that parking brake. Very nice.

Man, does this Type R hatchback have acres of wonderful glass, with tiny A-pillars. Fantastic outward visibility. For a sports car, it's probably unrivaled. Well, besides the Miata with its top down. Duh.

My car exhibited none of the infamous squeaking from the seats or seatbelt area. It buzzed like crazy around the infotainment screen, and maybe also down around the glovebox, I'm not sure, but the seats were dead silent.

Speaking of the seats, well, jeez. Yes, they're as amazing as everyone says they are. They fit me like the proverbial glove. Ideal bolstering, and what an incredible material. Like Todd from Everyday Driver said, it feels like sitting in a hug. I don't think I'll miss having a lumbar control. Maybe I won't even miss having heated seats, because of the soft, warm, plush material. I also love that they sit nice and low, as sports car seats should. Just a perfect driving position. Spot-on ergonomics.

Pretty good headlights, with a solid auto highbeams function. They don't swivel like the Miata's, but they seem plenty bright enough to do the job. Plus, again, all that glass area. No complaints.

I love this Boost Blue color. When I arrived at the dealership, I learned that I had a choice of Championship White or Boost Blue, for the same msrp-only price. They were sitting right there together on the showroom floor, side by side. I was momentarily torn, knowing that CW is the classic color for the Type R, and certainly the more mature choice, but in the end I stuck to my guns and went with the more "special," exotic color that pops like mad in low light, and glows like the bejeezus in bright sunlight. With those broad haunches, the big wing, and that gorgeous front grill that wasn't ruined by a license plate, I think I'd have to say this is the best-looking car I've ever owned. It's either this or the Soul Red Crystal Miata. This blue is pretty damn stunning. I have already received three compliments on it, in the first two hours of ownership. I don't see myself growing tired of that blue/red Captain America combo any time soon.

Speaking of the Boost Blue, I thought that the car image is supposed to appear in the body color in the screen animations, but my animations showed a white one. I looked and looked, but couldn't find a way to switch it to blue. Is there a way to do this, or are we stuck with white there?
Sponsored

Last edited:

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Speaking of the Boost Blue, I thought that the car image is supposed to appear in the body color in the screen animations, but my animations showed a white one. I looked and looked, but couldn't find a way to switch it to blue. Is there a way to do this, or are we stuck with white there?
Congrats on your FL5

I forgot on top of my head, but you can definitely change one of the settings in LogR to your body color.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
What I will not get used to, however, was this seriously annoying buzzing sound coming from somewhere around or behind the infotainment screen. Man, was that thing nasty. Even worse, passing through certain RPM in first and second gear creates this harmonic effect that made the buzzing go absolutely apeshit. It would rise and fall in concert with the RPM...bzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz, then, once I cleared that bad zone, it would fizzle out and return to its normal intermittent buzzing.
Yeah this is normal. The consensus on the forums is that it's an aftereffect of the electronic wastegate- some will even try to tell you it's normal for all modern turbo cars, which is a fallacy. Apparently it's a K20C thing, but it does date back to the FK8.

Personally I think the intensity of this noise is worse in some cars than others, and mine was pretty bad for the first few months. I will tell you there's at least some chance that it will get better, or that your mind will attenuate the effects over time.

I'm really jealous of you California guys and the roads you get to drive on, but after watching this video I'm convinced had I got a Type R the ITS module would have happened in the first week:

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I recommend you have the dealership address the buzz in the dashboard--there is a slight grind you may hear ~3,000RPM when pulling off throttle (electronic wastegate), but what you're describing (a worsening buzz on throttle to 3,500RPM or so until you reach a cruising speed) sounds like what my DE5 had.

It won't improve with time (or worsen, really), but it's definitely going to take away from the enjoyment of driving the car.

OP
OP

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
madbikes, I went through the LogR menu and didn't see any option for changing the car color in the display. I guess I missed it somewhere. Do you know the procedure?

optronix, nope, my infotainment buzzing definitely has nothing to do with the wastegate. It's simply a plastic-on-plastic buzzing within the panels in and around the infotainment screen. Elsewhere on this site there is a video of an FL5 guy correcting my exact buzz by removing the cover behind the screen and adding soft padding everywhere. Also, someone on this site posted an official Honda Service Bulletin that specifically addresses this issue. Same solution, instructing the mechanic to add felt tabs in a multitude of locations beneath the screen.

As for our NoCal roads, yes, while many of them sure are bombed out and bumpy as hell, especially in the cities, we also have an endless playground of the best race-type roads to be found anywhere in the world. I've watched a number of Zygrene's videos, and have ridden or driven many of the roads he uses for his reviews. California absolutely sucks in so many ways, but a lack of killer sports car/racebike roads is not one of them.

Ultimateone, Miata people are somewhat delusional about what?

Certainly not the fun they have driving their Miatas. On a good, tight, twisty backroad, there is simply nothing more fun. Forget the numbers. In the real world, who gives a shit about numbers? There is only one number that matters with the Miata: 2340...its wet weight. It makes all its realistic competition feel unnecessarily huge, heavy, and disconnected. Also, its shifter really is as good as anything, maybe even including the Type R and Cayman GTS/911 GT3. It's certainly in that ballpark.

Bottom line, the ND2 is all about pure, affordable top-down fun and driver engagement, and in that regard nothing can touch it.

OP
OP

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recommend you have the dealership address the buzz in the dashboard--there is a slight grind you may hear ~3,000RPM when pulling off throttle (electronic wastegate), but what you're describing (a worsening buzz on throttle to 3,500RPM or so until you reach a cruising speed) sounds like what my DE5 had.

It won't improve with time (or worsen, really), but it's definitely going to take away from the enjoyment of driving the car.
Absolutely. I could not live with that constant buzzing. It ruins the experience. Whatever needs to be done to eliminate it, it shall be done.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Goddamn I'm jealous of all you MSRP people 😆 only because it feels like I was the LAST guy to pay a markup on one of these. $3k in November and I thought I was getting a deal! 2 months later a dealer called me about MSRP 🤦‍♂️

Fake noise: Yes it's not awake yet under 4k. I was actually pretty OK with the noise in sport but since doing resonator delete + valve stuck open I can always hear what's going on and leave it in comfort.

Buzzing: I thought my buzzing was something under the hood that I was just gonna have to live with like the injectors. Hmm, I'll need to pay closer attention - I'd love to fix that if possible.

I share many of the same thoughts otherwise - especially the suspension. Hard to believe comfort mode isn't cushy enough for people. I believe if you drive aggressively even comfort mode firms up - adapting to how you're driving - and the car can start doing its bouncy thing. Maybe that's where people are coming from.

OP
OP

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fredzy, you may be correct. Comfort mode is certainly comfortable enough for me when tasked with doing the usual comfort things, but perhaps it becomes too bouncy when pushed hard over bumpy roads. Until I get beyond the initial break-in procedure and can begin driving the car hard, I suppose I'll simply have to be content with waiting a bit before learning the answer.

Regardless, knowing that the cheap and easy ITS module solution is out there should a "fix" become necessary, it's good to know that this can only get better.

I have to say, though, as fast in the corners as this car has already proven to be even at these super-low RPM, on new brakes and tires that aren't scrubbed in yet, I can only imagine the type of hell this thing will unleash once it's let off its chain. It will certainly be the fastest car I've ever owned, and could easily end up being a bazillion times more fun and engaging than I was initially expecting.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think you meant to say “…a buzzzZzzzzillion times more fun…”🤣 Couldn’t help myself. Hahaha!

I think virtually all of us are dealing with dash rattles to varying degrees. Peoples’ tolerance to them will vary too. I’m diagnosing a tapping/rattling sound from the back of my car when I hit abrupt pavement bumps (been there since day one). Pretty sure it’s a heat shield, but I haven’t been able to figure it out and I only like to take my car to the shop when truly necessary. A lot of my dash rattles have settled down. Those that have remained don’t bother me enough to dismantle my dash. Like you, I’ve found Comfort mode to be fine for the sound module. It is either disabled or the sound is so faint that I can’t tell if it’s even turned on, so I haven’t felt a need to unplug it. Sometimes it’s best to leave well-enough alone.🙂

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Congrats! Any noticeable carbon deposits on your valves?

;) Jk enjoy my friend

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Yeah if it's a dash rattle disregard. But I will point out that at its worst, I could feel the buzz from my wastegate through the pedal and it felt like it reverberated through the cabin. I will also say that it didn't stay that severe for very long, so whoever suggested it doesn't get better I'm here to offer a contrary viewpoint. Might be irrelevant if it's just a dash rattle and fixable by slapping it a few times as others suggest, but still worth bringing up as many others have noted this issue.

Also if dash rattles and buzzes are just a thing associated with these cars, I can live with it. This car offers not just a similar experience, but I'll continue to maintain an equal driving experience under anything short of track conditions to cars that cost 3-5x as much, plus offers a fully usable back seat and tons of cargo space. Your take on the Miata suggest that once you can open the seal after your break in period you'll agree.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Former Miata owner here and current S2000 and ITR owner. It’s true, the Miata shifter is better. :dunno:

OP
OP

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
optronix, I sure hope so.

I took her out on some twisty roads just now, still trying to limit her to 4K-ish RPM, which really isn't easy to do on a fun backroad, and the two overriding impressions I had were that she's really big, and very bouncy, sometimes even in Comfort mode. In Sport mode, definitely. Quite bouncy. I was talking with a buddy during the drive, telling him how it feels just as big as the Camry. It's like a really sharp, focused, mid-size sedan, only very bouncy instead of floaty.

Now, once I can get her above 5K RPM, I expect the entire experience to be transformed. Tooling around at 4K or less, there is no burst of acceleration. It's an entirely mundane experience. No sound, except for the worst dashboard buzzes I've ever encountered, and no excitement in general. Just a big, noisy sedan with a hatch, really.

Makes me wonder whether the ITS module removes the bounciness, or merely shifts each mode down one level, including a new Comfort mode that doesn't exist in the stock Type R. Currently, Comfort is less bouncy than Sport, which is less bouncy than +R, but this could easily mean that the ITS module will merely turn +R into Sport, and Sport into Comfort, both of which are still bouncy.

Driving those same speeds on those same roads, the Miata is a million times better. That much I can say for sure. Way more engaging, way more fun, much better ride quality and composure, and so much better sound. It has no buzzes or rattles, and the engine and exhaust, while relatively quiet for a sports car, still sound infinitely better than this Type R does at these low RPM.

I can't get this break-in finished quickly enough. I need to get to the exciting part of this experience, and soon. I absolutely have to get that infernal dashboard buzzing gone. My god, it's bad. 4K RPM, every time, on the gas or letting off the gas...bzzzzzzZZZZZZZ! It makes the car feel like a 1982 Plymouth Horizon.

That shit's gotta go.

OP
OP

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Miata owner here and current S2000 and ITR owner. It’s true, the Miata shifter is better. :dunno:
So far, I think I agree. The shifting on my ND2 was always exquisite. So far, the Type R's shifter feels a bit heavier, but also a bit softer...maybe a skosh rubbery? Just a hair? The Miata's felt notchier, more positive, more firm and precise.

Too early to say, though. Not even worth comparing yet, until I can really start using it as intended, in the higher RPM range.
Sponsored