• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Low Speed Wheel Squeaking Noise

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Hey @VPMotors,

Your issue sounds just like mine. I didn't have any pebbles stuck in my brake guards, and it wasn't a wastegate rattle (like some other people have posted in this thread).

I've taken the car into the dealership at least 2-3 times to look at this issue, and they could never figure it out; they gave up and started blaming aftermarket parts (springs). The last time it went in, they greased a bunch of brake components. That seemed to help a little bit, but now the squeaking is slowly coming back again.
Thanks for letting me know. Still taking the wheels off over the weekend to confirm, but someone suggested using brake cleaner in the forum topic i posted. Would try that as a last resort. Arizona being dry and dusty might have caused that. One thing to note, the car was squealing too much when it was dirty. It still does but not as much as before. Either rocks or its the dust. Hoping to resolve this ASAP. If anyone has any solutions please suggest; this is super annoying! If nothing solves it, I have the best of the best packages the dealership I bought it from offered, which covered anything and everything in the car if it failed prematurely (they call it the platinum maintenance plan). Would put that to use. Keep this thread alive, it might be a first model year problem as well as more and more people are facing the issue.
Sponsored

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: used brake cleaner. Didn't work. Couldn't take the wheels off because, new discovery: the car doesn't get its own lug nut wrench, and the one with my CR-V is smaller because the lug nuts are smaller. I did turn the wheels all the way and reached behind the rotor where the brake dust cover sits. Couldn't find any rocks and also took a few videos to see if I was missing anything. No rocks seen in the videos too. Scheduled an appointment with a nearby dealership on Monday. Let's see what they have to say.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Looks like the rotors are warped. Dealer says there's glazing on the rotors and there's some warping on one of the rear and one of the fronts.

F

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Good info for others who might run into this issue. It wasnā€™t just the common ā€œnoisy Brembosā€ or dust, rocks, etc. Iā€™m curious how they got warped to begin with. I mean, folks here are tracking these cars and not warping their rotors despite the heat. Before your trip across the country did a shop over-tighten your lug nuts, possibly? Iā€™d be pissed if thatā€™s the case. Any maintenance dealing with wheels, tires, and brakes should be taken very seriously and done with care. Itā€™s all about safety.

Because these cars donā€™t come with a spareā€¦they also donā€™t come with the associated accessories. As you have found, you now have a GREAT excuse to buy some handy garage tools, like a good breaker bar (and a torque wrench if you donā€™t already have one). This way you can remove your wheels whenever you want AND you can check that the lug nuts are properly torqued every day if you wish. Itā€™s great peace of mind. šŸ™‚

neilisnext

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 Type R #8960
Wow.. just found this thread and have been experiencing the same.

I switched to Akebono Ceramic pads & thought I did a poor job of bedding but seems like others are experiencing the same with different mods.

Seems to happen for me either at very low speeds (feathering the clutch) on start-up, goes away, then comes back later on. Can't consistently reproduce it sadly

neilisnext

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 Type R #8960
Update: Looks like the rotors are warped. Dealer says there's glazing on the rotors and there's some warping on one of the rear and one of the fronts.

F
Did the squealing go away after they changed the rotors? Worried mine has the same issue now. Iā€™m at 3k miles and havenā€™t done any track driving

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the squealing go away after they changed the rotors? Worried mine has the same issue now. Iā€™m at 3k miles and havenā€™t done any track driving

I didn't change them. Can't simply afford to change the rotors because they are squealing when hot. If the pedal was vibrating or the car shook while braking I would've done it, but not at this point. Want to really confirm if it's warped rotors. Would take a second opinion from another dealer to confirm.

neilisnext

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 Type R #8960
I didn't change them. Can't simply afford to change the rotors because they are squealing when hot. If the pedal was vibrating or the car shook while braking I would've done it, but not at this point. Want to really confirm if it's warped rotors. Would take a second opinion from another dealer to confirm.
Yeah Iā€™m in the same boat.. my brakes (or so I assume theyā€™re my brakes) are squealing after the car is warmed up but no vibration from the steering wheel which makes me assume itā€™s the rears only. Canā€™t tell whether or not itā€™s safe to drive like this but also not sure if I should just spend and replace my rotors.. sigh

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Dealership replaced my front rotors, all 4 pads, and resurfaced the rear rotors for free. They called American Honda to inform them of the situation and as a one time goodwill they did it for free. Car doesn't squeal at all!

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
So i've been dealing with this issue for awhile. I had replaced both rotors and pads for front and back. This did not fix the issue at all. I am starting to wonder if this may be transmission related.

neilisnext

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 Type R #8960
So i've been dealing with this issue for awhile. I had replaced both rotors and pads for front and back. This did not fix the issue at all. I am starting to wonder if this may be transmission related.
Curious if the car was stock when you first noticed it happening?

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
Curious if the car was stock when you first noticed it happening?
No I did not notice it while stock. I had a noticeable groove on the lip on the front rotors so I assumed that could be the culprit. I changed those to Girodisc as well as Endless pads up front and had the dealership swap the rear with new oem pads and rotors. For what it's worth the noise is definitely more consistent to occur when its hot outside. Also the car has to be driven around awhile before it occurs.

neilisnext

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 Type R #8960
No I did not notice it while stock. I had a noticeable groove on the lip on the front rotors so I assumed that could be the culprit. I changed those to Girodisc as well as Endless pads up front and had the dealership swap the rear with new oem pads and rotors. For what it's worth the noise is definitely more consistent to occur when its hot outside. Also the car has to be driven around awhile before it occurs.
Damn, weird. For me itā€™s more consistent when cold, but does occasionally happen when warm too.

Probably going to go to stock pads all around to see if it changes anything. Might be too late for me tho and need new rotors.

albi mentioned brake shims which I think makes sense if your pads donā€™t have the shims like the OEM pads but I feel like the sound is happening in the rear for me as well so shims might not work for that case

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
Damn, weird. For me itā€™s more consistent when cold, but does occasionally happen when warm too.

Probably going to go to stock pads all around to see if it changes anything. Might be too late for me tho and need new rotors.

albi mentioned brake shims which I think makes sense if your pads donā€™t have the shims like the OEM pads but I feel like the sound is happening in the rear for me as well so shims might not work for that case
I mean that's possible. I tried checking the axles to see if anything was rubbing by chance or created any type of groove and there was nothing. I also looked over any moving parts and didn't see anything indicating wear and tear. So outside of wheel bearing(which in my experience is the opposite of what we are experiencing speed wise) causes a noise issue similar to this. Chasing this down has me thinking it could be something transmission related dragging due to speed, or maybe the input shaft. It does sound like it's coming from the front drivers side which also brings me to that conclusion. It's hard to tell if its coming from the front or rear though.

neilisnext

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 Type R #8960
Found this thread on reddit. The sound I'm hearing is very similar to this where it oscillates and goes away at high speeds.

As much as I hate to dismiss it as a rock, it very well could be one that's well hidden.

Will check this week and update.
Sponsored