• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Low Speed Wheel Squeaking Noise

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
I recently started noticing a annoying squeaking noise coming from the left side of my FL5 (with ~4,500 miles) when driving around 20mph. It's not always reproducible. It seems to stop when applying the brakes. I took all of the wheels off and checked/pushed the brake shields for any stuck pebbles (having an FK8, I'm familiar with that issue), but didn't see anything.

I have wheel spacers, stock rims and lowered on H&R sport springs, but I don't think any of that should matter.

I took it to a local shop, and they didn't see anything obvious that would cause the squeaking. I've got an appt set up with the dealership about 2.5 weeks from now (the earliest available spot).

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Diagnosing the problem without swapping parts is challenging. I suggest beginning with the springs and checking if everything is correctly seated. Suspension modifications can often lead to these types of issues.

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
I recently started noticing a annoying squeaking noise coming from the left side of my FL5 (with ~4,500 miles) when driving around 20mph. It's not always reproducible. It seems to stop when applying the brakes. I took all of the wheels off and checked/pushed the brake shields for any stuck pebbles (having an FK8, I'm familiar with that issue), but didn't see anything.

I have wheel spacers, stock rims and lowered on H&R sport springs, but I don't think any of that should matter.

I took it to a local shop, and they didn't see anything obvious that would cause the squeaking. I've got an appt set up with the dealership about 2.5 weeks from now (the earliest available spot).

Any ideas?
I get something similar, not really a squeak but more of clink/clang like something is rubbing against something. Mine happens when I let off the throttle and coasting. If you figure out what it is, please let me know.

OP
OP
arbies

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
I took the car to the Honda dealership on Wednesday to look at the wheel squeaking. They resurfaced all of the rotors, which was a bit strange considering it only has about 4,500 miles.

After taking it home, the squeaking came back shortly thereafter. Took it back to the dealership today, and they couldn't find anything, but suspected it could be my wheel spacers.

I took the car home, took the spacers off, and took it on a drive. The squeaking is still there. It actually seems worse now.

Here's a video of my son driving back to our house just a few minutes ago after taking the spacers off. The squeaking seems to be coming from the left, rear wheel.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
@arbies oh dang, you werenā€™t kidding šŸ˜­ i had a faint rotational squeak at sub 10mph coming from both front wheels but I did my research and shook those pesky break shields a bit and it was gone. this is on a whole other level. hope you figure it out soon!! šŸ€

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
They resurfaced the rotorsā€¦but did they also check the condition of the pads? Maybe one is loose? It seems like they didnā€™t do a very comprehensive job, but I can also understand them wanting you to remove the spacers before digging into it further.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Probably not this but did you happen to check for a rock or other debris stuck behind rotor and dust shield? Assuming of course the dealer didnā€™t already take the rotors off as they claimed

OP
OP
arbies

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
They resurfaced the rotorsā€¦but did they also check the condition of the pads? Maybe one is loose? It seems like they didnā€™t do a very comprehensive job, but I can also understand them wanting you to remove the spacers before digging into it further.
I assume they didn't do much with the brake pads, but I don't know what else it could be at this point. I have another appointment at the dealership on Monday, and a master tech will be checking it out.

Probably not this but did you happen to check for a rock or other debris stuck behind rotor and dust shield? Assuming of course the dealer didnā€™t already take the rotors off as they claimed
That's the first thing I checked on... I'm well aware of the pebbles getting stuck in brake shields issue, having had that happened several times on my 2020 Type R.

Thanks for the ideas.

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
So I went back to check forums and a similar problem happened with the previous model type R, apparently it's the wastegate squeaking and it's based off what I read Honda says this is normal.

Assuming the sound you are experiencing is the same I am. Annoying....

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@CivicR38 Watch/listen to the video the op posted. Itā€™s not the waste gate noise. The waste gate is more like a metallic rattling. The opā€™s problem almost certainly related to the wheels/brakes.

OP
OP
arbies

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
After leaving my car at the dealership for a few days, they were unable to fix the squeaking. They looked over the brakes, pads, etc. Now they are blaming the squeaking on the H&R sport springs. Ugh. I don't see how the wheel squeaking (which changes in frequency according to the speed / wheel rotation) is related to suspension/springs.

Great... now I need to take it to a shop to revert back to the stock springs. :mad:

One new piece of data I found out (before I sent it back to the dealership) is that the wheel squeaking only seems to happen after driving around for a little while. It never squeaks when I first leave the house. Only after driving for 15+ minutes, and then I can hear the squeaking, and I only hear it lower speeds. Almost like something heats up and then the squeaking starts?

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
After leaving my car at the dealership for a few days, they were unable to fix the squeaking. They looked over the brakes, pads, etc. Now they are blaming the squeaking on the H&R sport springs. Ugh. I don't see how the wheel squeaking (which changes in frequency according to the speed / wheel rotation) is related to suspension/springs.

Great... now I need to take it to a shop to revert back to the stock springs. :mad:

One new piece of data I found out (before I sent it back to the dealership) is that the wheel squeaking only seems to happen after driving around for a little while. It never squeaks when I first leave the house. Only after driving for 15+ minutes, and then I can hear the squeaking, and I only hear it lower speeds. Almost like something heats up and then the squeaking starts?
That is so frustrating, hope you get to the bottom of it shortly. It is definitely a rotational issue, springs wouldn't cause that sound. Just like the dealership to blame it on that though. Recently got charged $200 for diagnostic fee due to a blown Options fuse in the interior fuse box. They blamed it on the exhaust valve fuse I removed in the engine bay fuse box...

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
That is so frustrating, hope you get to the bottom of it shortly. It is definitely a rotational issue, springs wouldn't cause that sound. Just like the dealership to blame it on that though. Recently got charged $200 for diagnostic fee due to a blown Options fuse in the interior fuse box. They blamed it on the exhaust valve fuse I removed in the engine bay fuse box...
Such shitbags

Nessy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E92 M3, 1990 Toyota Liteace
I'm currently chasing the same noise with my car. It seems to start after I've driven around for a while and I notice it when I'm in the neighborhood going slow. A little rotational squeek that changes with wheel speed.
I still haven't fixed it due to a busy schedule, but I've check for the obvious rocks in the dust shields. I was guessing it would be my brakes as it only happens after I've driven for a while and possibly had hot spots start to swell and catch(not 100% sure this could even be a thing?) Id imagine just resurfacing rotors without replacing the pads that may also be uneven will lead to the sound returning.
The only thing I can think was that I washed the car with the parking brake on and when I release the brake it wouldn't move. When I'd let out the clutch the car wouldn't budge. Finally broke free and it came with a nice metallic clunk, seemed like the pad may have got stuck on the rust build up while the rotor was drying.
For what it's worth, my car is bone stock with 700 miles. My noise hasn't progressed to as loud as yours, but I'm sure it's the same. Looking forward to what you find and if I find out anything soon I'll update here! Apologies for lots of writing with no fix.:doh:

Edit: clarified cause it looked like I was saying I was driving with the parking brake on.

OP
OP
arbies

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
I'm currently chasing the same noise with my car. It seems to start after I've driven around for a while and I notice it when I'm in the neighborhood going slow. A little rotational squeek that changes with wheel speed.
I still haven't fixed it due to a busy schedule, but I've check for the obvious rocks in the dust shields. I was guessing it would be my brakes as it only happens after I've driven for a while and possibly had hot spots start to swell and catch(not 100% sure this could even be a thing?) Id imagine just resurfacing rotors without replacing the pads that may also be uneven will lead to the sound returning.
The only thing I can think was that I washed the car with the parking brake on and when I tried to move the car it was stuck. I released the parking brake and as I'd let out the clutch the car wouldn't budge. Finally broke free and it came with a nice metallic clunk, seemed like the pad may have got stuck on the rust build up while the rotor was drying.
For what it's worth, my car is bone stock with 700 miles. My noise hasn't progressed to as loud as yours, but I'm sure it's the same. Looking forward to what you find and if I find out anything soon I'll update here! Apologies for lots of writing with no fix.:doh:
Very interesting! Sounds like the same exact issue. You might be on to something! I did take it to a manual car wash a week or so before I first started noticing the squeaking. And I did have the parking brake engaged.

Instead of changing my springs back to stock, which would cost a decent amount, I took it to another local shop to have them take a look. They won't have a biased mentality like the dealership does against any and all aftermarket modifications.
Sponsored