• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Low Speed Wheel Squeaking Noise

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Maybe sound/vibration damping? From what I’ve read Brembos are not exactly known for being quiet.
Sponsored

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I just had an awful squealing noise out of my front right wheel well. I think a piece of rock or debris got caught somewhere in there. It was really bad at low speeds.

As I pulled into my driveway I heard some clanging and I think it shot out. I haven’t driven it since (think this was Tuesday [that work from home life 😄]). But I’ll be driving it tomorrow. So hopefully it’s gone. It was really awful to hear.
so it was a rock and when I was reversing as I was pulling into my driveway, what I had heard, was it shooting out.

Haven’t had any issues driving since.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
there's squeaking and then there's squealing... this is definitely a sound of squealing -- like metal-on-metal. and in the video, it looked like it was mostly occuring when using the brakes. but, maybe that was only in this video?

i would think looking for something that has some clear wear from rubbing would help identify it. You cannot get that kind of sound without visible wear -- unless it's a sealed part.

I don't know what a rock would sound like, but it would seem that a rock (pebble-size) wouldn't be able to create so loud a volume. i think that kind of gain needs more surface area or resonance cavity. Multiple bearings probably would be able to do that. it doesn't seem as logical from a single pebble.

is there anyone in your area who has a dyno so the wheels can turn on a test bed? you could run it at lower speeds while inspecting and listening to find the source with the hood open.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I’ve had small pebbles in my brakes make a pretty bad metallic screech/grind sound before (in my previous car). It was quite loud and alarming the first time it ever happened to me. Anyone outside nearby would’ve heard it too. I thought it was something major with the car that suddenly failed. Nope. Just a small piece of gravel in the front passenger side brake.😅

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
So I went back to check forums and a similar problem happened with the previous model type R, apparently it's the wastegate squeaking and it's based off what I read Honda says this is normal.

Assuming the sound you are experiencing is the same I am. Annoying....
Has anyone been able to fix this? Same thing started happening to me after the first oil change. Metallic sound coasting while in gear particularly 2nd and 3rd. Drives me nuts. Knowing it is normal makes me less anxious about it but is there a way to stop it?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Has anyone been able to fix this? Same thing started happening to me after the first oil change. Metallic sound coasting while in gear particularly 2nd and 3rd. Drives me nuts. Knowing it is normal makes me less anxious about it but is there a way to stop it?
Sounds like wastegate rattle to me. Are your windows down? That's the only time you will hear it when off throttle.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Sounds like wastegate rattle to me. Are your windows down? That's the only time you will hear it when off throttle.
Yes. Pretty certain it started after getting my first oil change as I had never heard it before. Not sure if something they did would have disturbed it. Is there a fix?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
The wastegate rattle is just part of the FK8 and FL5. Mine has done it since new. You could be noticing it more with window down driving in the summer?

Last edited:

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The wastegate rattle is just part of the FK8 and FL5. Mine has done it since new. You could be noticing it more with window down driving in the summer?
Yeah you’re probably right. I feel better knowing it is normal. Thank you all.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
sorry, Honda... that's NOT normal. you mute the sound of the exhaust (fine with me), but then have no issue with a squeal like that -- which can wake the neighborhood? that isn't subtle.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Just found this thread. Same issue for me 14k miles in. Posted my issue in a separate thread.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Same type of noise for me too. Moved from Maine to Arizona, so suspecting rocks/debris. Will take the tires off and update.

OP
OP
arbies

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
Hey @VPMotors,

Your issue sounds just like mine. I didn't have any pebbles stuck in my brake guards, and it wasn't a wastegate rattle (like some other people have posted in this thread).

I've taken the car into the dealership at least 2-3 times to look at this issue, and they could never figure it out; they gave up and started blaming aftermarket parts (springs). The last time it went in, they greased a bunch of brake components. That seemed to help a little bit, but now the squeaking is slowly coming back again.
Sponsored