• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR, 2023 Integra aspec MT
While I haven’t had any issues so far with this transmission I dobro want it to get to that point so fluid change it is. I used redline mt90 on my fk8 and had zero issues with a 1-2grind when the car got hit. I have an SCCA pro solo event at the end of this month that that will be a good test!

Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Is there certain amount of miles that one should drive before changing the fluid? Any additives from the factory like the motor oil has?

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Is there certain amount of miles that one should drive before changing the fluid? Any additives from the factory like the motor oil has?
Idk about manual, but most cars will need a transmission fluid replacement at 100k miles.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I haven’t checked the manual, but my 09 Si recommended manual trans fluid changes every 30k miles iirc. I used Amsoil and LOVED it. I’ll be using it in my FL5 when the time comes, but I know Redline is also very highly regarded and has a following too.

No, MTF doesn’t have additives in it nor does it need it. This is because it isn’t in an extreme heat environment, like engine oil is. MTF also doesn’t get contaminated with dirt particles like engine oil, nor is it exposed to nearly as much moisture and air. MTF is really very basic oil, but some brands/formulations are much better than others.

Last edited:

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
I haven’t checked the manual, but my 09 Si recommended manual trans fluid changes every 30k miles. I used Amsoil and LOVED it. I’ll be using it in my FL5 when the time comes, but I know Redline is also very highly regarded and has a following too.

No, MTF doesn’t have additives in it nor does it need it. This is because it isn’t in an extreme heat environment, like engine oil is. MTF also doesn’t get contaminated with dirt particles like engine oil, nor is it exposed to nearly as much moisture and air. MTF is really very basic oil, but some are much better than others.
Recommended interval for FL5 is 36k miles

OP
OP
apexit53

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t checked the manual, but my 09 Si recommended manual trans fluid changes every 30k miles iirc. I used Amsoil and LOVED it. I’ll be using it in my FL5 when the time comes, but I know Redline is also very highly regarded and has a following too.

No, MTF doesn’t have additives in it nor does it need it. This is because it isn’t in an extreme heat environment, like engine oil is. MTF also doesn’t get contaminated with dirt particles like engine oil, nor is it exposed to nearly as much moisture and air. MTF is really very basic oil, but some brands/formulations are much better than others.
yeah Hondas mtf while good hasn’t been changed in 30 years.
We used to put gM synchromesh in some 06-07 civic si when they had the 3rd gear grind issue. Cars that we put that in never had the issue.
I’m not saying you need to do this but for AutoX and track days it’s definitely more robust.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Any noticable change in feel after the swap?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Any noticable change in feel after the swap?
In my old Si? 100% most definitely. It’s why I will always use Amsoil (or perhaps Redline) MTF. Honda MTF is merely OK in comparison. Shifts went from notchy and sometimes grindy to buttery smooth. If I ever grinded a gear (with Amsoil) it was almost always my fault for lazy shifting. I’m in no huge rush to change my FL5’s MTF. But if I was going to track the car, I’d go ahead and change it along with the engine oil and brake fluid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
apexit53

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I've been tracking my FL5 quite regularly and changed the factory fill with the Genuine Honda MTF3 which has been running perfectly thus far. I get the odd 1st gear lockout when taking off from a standstill (has happened twice in 4000kms). The fluid change smoothened out the gearshifts, the stock fluid that came out was fairly dark, the pigmentation likely not an indication of anything serious.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
While I haven’t had any issues so far with this transmission I dobro want it to get to that point so fluid change it is. I used redline mt90 on my fk8 and had zero issues with a 1-2grind when the car got hit. I have an SCCA pro solo event at the end of this month that that will be a good test!

How has the mt-90 held up over a season? I am considering using this because it is on FCPeuro. Thanks for any info.