• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Pixelated apple CarPlay

BBoarders

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus, Jeep, Olds
Does anybody have experience or a fix with this issue? Initially I thought it was just Waze maps but it happens on other maps. Then I thought it was just maps in general but it happens on CarPlay home screen.

11th Gen Honda Civic Pixelated apple CarPlay IMG_9960
Finally, I don’t know if it’s related or not, but occasionally navigation within CarPlay absolutely has no idea where I am. It simply jumps around, sometimes blocks away from where I actually am and tries to update the routing.

iOS and the CTR’s system updates are current.

Thanks.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Hmmm…I assume you’ve already done a system reset in the CTR? Maybe just junk in cache needs cleared out.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP FL5. 2020 Civic Type R (RIP)
I get this all the time. Have not found a fix for this. Has made Waze completely unusable. I have been using Apple Maps and 95% of the time this doesn't happen. That's the best that I have found to mitigate this. System reset didn't help.

OP
OP

BBoarders

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for responding. I don’t know how to clear the cache.
It seems to be getting worse. Last night the gps (using Waze and Apple Maps) was jumping all over and for a while had me driving down a boulevard near my house when I was miles away on the highway. I turned off my VPN thinking it may have had something to do with it. Didn’t help.
The problem had been very intermittent since by I took delivery in July and was made mostly useable by pushing the home button and going back to car play.
Booo.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
I only recently had the "location jumping around" issue like you said. It eventually picked up the correct location after a few minutes, though.

I agree with what @blayed said... Waze gets messed up very frequently in Carplay (pixelation, messed up colors, etc) on the Civic. I prefer Waze, but I resort to using Apple Maps which does not have the pixelation issue.

OP
OP

BBoarders

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish it were possible just to get an idea as to whether it was an apple problem or a Honda problem. Along with that, is it related to the wireless part or not enough memory. Honda service says it’s an apple problem. Of course Apple would say the opposite.

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
I wish it were possible just to get an idea as to whether it was an apple problem or a Honda problem. Along with that, is it related to the wireless part or not enough memory. Honda service says it’s an apple problem. Of course Apple would say the opposite.
I think it's not an Apple problem as it has not happened with the last 4 cars I've owned, all with CarPlay.

Reactions: 007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
I think it's not an Apple problem as it has not happened with the last 4 cars I've owned, all with CarPlay.

Agreed. I've owned three cars equipped with Apple CarPlay (M2C, GRY, and Honda City, two of which I still own) and have never experienced any issues with CarPlay, let alone a pixelated screen. This seems to be a problem with the module and/or software that Honda uses now in the Civic.

Mike_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 / GX460
Mine did this as well when I first got it. Drove me crazy. I did some searching through the forums and found a video of a guy disabling the Honda Navigation System application itself. You access some type of developer mode within the operating system, and it's basically a switch you toggle on and off. Once I toggled it off.....problem fixed. I don't have access to the Honda navigation app anymore, but I use CarPlay anyway so I don't care. Now my system has zero lag and it's never pixelated since. The only problem is I don't know where I found that video. I'll do some searching and if I find it I'll post it here.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Mine did this as well when I first got it. Drove me crazy. I did some searching through the forums and found a video of a guy disabling the Honda Navigation System application itself. You access some type of developer mode within the operating system, and it's basically a switch you toggle on and off. Once I toggled it off.....problem fixed. I don't have access to the Honda navigation app anymore, but I use CarPlay anyway so I don't care. Now my system has zero lag and it's never pixelated since. The only problem is I don't know where I found that video. I'll do some searching and if I find it I'll post it here.

This might be the video you are referring to:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I've never had this happen in nearly a year of driving. I do not use the Waze app though.

The head unit has been buggy in other ways but I think it's an app compatibility problem with this pixelated screen issue. I hope Honda puts out a firmware update soon now that the 2024 MY is out.

FlatSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR, 991 GT3 Touring, 993 C4S
Having the same issues with Waze especially. Sometimes Google Maps. It hardly ever happened with my 2022 Si. Will need to watch that video above and hope it sorts everything out.

OP
OP

BBoarders

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate all the help.
I recall trying to use the Honda navigation right after I bought the car just to check it out. It had difficulty pinpointing where I was. That seemed strange, but I never really cared because I wasn’t going to use it anyway. I think I’ll try to disable it and see what happens. Thanks a lot.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
I only recently had the "location jumping around" issue like you said. It eventually picked up the correct location after a few minutes, though.

I agree with what @blayed said... Waze gets messed up very frequently in Carplay (pixelation, messed up colors, etc) on the Civic. I prefer Waze, but I resort to using Apple Maps which does not have the pixelation issue.
Wait I ALWAYS have the location issue. I will be driving and the GPS will think I'm in an entirely different part of the city. I've called Apple and they think I'm crazy. Could this be a Carplay related thing rather than iPhone??

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Wait I ALWAYS have the location issue. I will be driving and the GPS will think I'm in an entirely different part of the city. I've called Apple and they think I'm crazy. Could this be a Carplay related thing rather than iPhone??
CarPlay is Apple, so I highly doubt there’s a compatibility issue between CarPlay and iPhone. It seems to be something in the background going on with Honda’s software if I were to fathom a guess. The “fix” by way of turning off Honda’s nav app is highly indicative that it’s a Honda issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: