• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rear ended at red light by distracted driver. Is it totaled?

narwhalsteak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Title says it all. I'd love some input. Insurance is really taking it's time despite my nagging and it's making me nervous. I'd show you the inside of the trunk, but I can't open it. What do y'all think?

11th Gen Honda Civic Rear ended at red light by distracted driver. Is it totaled? 1708126918326
11th Gen Honda Civic Rear ended at red light by distracted driver. Is it totaled? 1708127026446
11th Gen Honda Civic Rear ended at red light by distracted driver. Is it totaled? 1708127057848
11th Gen Honda Civic Rear ended at red light by distracted driver. Is it totaled? 1708127097716
11th Gen Honda Civic Rear ended at red light by distracted driver. Is it totaled? 1708127113284

Bumper bar from underneath. Also looks like the trunk wall could be a bit bent.
Sponsored

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
They're not going to total that. These cars aren't cheap, and body shop labor is. Bodyshops negotiate ridiculously low prices on parts as well. This is going to be a long annoying process for you. Since you aren't at fault you need to make sure that the other drivers insurance cuts you a check for diminishment of value. They do not offer this willingly, and it needs to be negotiated by you. Do not cash any checks until you are satisfied or they will consider the matter closed, and any further negotiation would require you to hire a lawyer.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
I can only hope that it is totaled so that you can replace it with a brand new vehicle. Hope you and everyone are safe.

OP
OP

narwhalsteak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Damn, I know that feeling all too well. Normally its the other insurance dragging their feet. Hope everyone is okay and you either get your car fixed or into a new one soon.
I've been learning a bit more. It's not actually insurance it seems. They can't get a response from the driver. They're sending police tomorrow to make contact.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
I can only hope that it is totaled so that you can replace it with a brand new vehicle. Hope you and everyone are safe.
You know how hard it is to find an Si that isn't still on markup? Insurance won't give him shit for the car if it is totaled and then he has to start all over.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Did any airbags deploy?

It looks to me like the damage may be confined to the trunk lid (replacement needed), bumper (another replacement), and taillight(s) (also replacement). It's not an insignificant amount of damage, and getting ahold of parts can be tricky--I disagree with @PointByPatrol on shop labor being cheap, labor prices have gone up significantly in the last few years and (along with parts shortages) has lead to an increase in total losses for vehicles that might've been repairable otherwise.

If no airbags deployed, and there's little/no damage ahead of the c-pillar, I think repair may be feasible. Assuming it's repairable, Utah is a state that specifically allows not-at-fault drivers (you) to make a claim for diminished value, and you absolutely need to pursue it. Frankly, even if your car looks and feels just as it did pre-accident once all the repairs are done, it has an accident in the vehicle history and you won't be able to sell it for anywhere close to what you might've immediately before the accident. Not all states allow claims for diminution in value, but Utah does. The other driver's insurance (especially if it's a state minimum-type) could make this a nuisance to pursue, so prepare for a hassle.

Feel free to message me if you need help in the negotiation process. Be reasonable. Be persistent.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Title says it all. I'd love some input. Insurance is really taking it's time despite my nagging and it's making me nervous. I'd show you the inside of the trunk, but I can't open it. What do y'all think?

1708126918326.png
1708127026446.png
1708127057848.png
1708127097716.png
1708127113284.png

Bumper bar from underneath. Also looks like the trunk wall could be a bit bent.
I feel for you man! Crying shame! Best of luck for you!

Captain

Ghost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Touring - 2020 BMW M340ixdrive
If is rear body frame gets any damage can be totaled otherwise all other parts can replaced with new ones like trunk lids taillights bumper and rebar

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
the insurance company will need to properly compensate you for the increased cost due to dealer markups if they total out your car. i paid $25k for a 2020 Tacoma that was totaled during COVID (2021). They cut me a check for $37k due to the shortages/price increases.

ThunderPigeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Crystal Black Pearl Civic SI
They won't compensate you for dealer markups, but they will compensate you for the bloated used car value. Also depends on your coverage. Some policies have options that will pay out for the higher costs of a new vehicle that haven't yet depreciated.

I had a 2011 Elantra beater that was rear ended in 2022. I paid $17k for the car new and was paid out almost $11k. The used car values were high making the value of that car high.

Similar hit in the rear, but I had frame damage. The rear driver side door didn't close properly after that. Airbags never deployed. I was stopped in traffic and someone hit me at full speed for that road. Probbaly going about 40-50. There were no tire marks, so if they did brake, it wasn't that hard. Ironically, it was a Civic that hit me. Both cars I will say took the hit like champs and nobody was injured.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
They're not going to total that. These cars aren't cheap, and body shop labor is. Bodyshops negotiate ridiculously low prices on parts as well. This is going to be a long annoying process for you. Since you aren't at fault you need to make sure that the other drivers insurance cuts you a check for diminishment of value. They do not offer this willingly, and it needs to be negotiated by you. Do not cash any checks until you are satisfied or they will consider the matter closed, and any further negotiation would require you to hire a lawyer.

The cars are not cheap, but I would argue that nothing is.

That said, from the photos, I don't think that car will be a total loss. Of course, you don't know what is behind it, but the costs won't rack up like the front end would have. I would be curious to know what the cost to repair will end up being but I suspect it will be in between 5-7k of a repair.

I hope it all works out and everyone is safe. Good luck with this. The process really shouldn't be that difficult, or it should be anyway. So I disagree with pointbypatrol.

If you have the ability to get an increased amount to compensate you, that would be good. To me I would back up an appraisal 2k on a car that had an accident like that but at the same time.. It is an SI, and it is a desirable car, so I wouldn't argue for someone who was lighter on that.
Sponsored