• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Release date guesses?

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
The fact that there is a $3600 gap between the EX and Touring with the other trims having roughly a $1500 gap really makes me think the Si model will end up slotting between the EX and Touring where the EXL used to live and will get a selection of trickle down features from the Touring. So roughly looking at $26,200 for an Si, maybe $27,000 if they offer an auto option, which seems like a good spread.

Compared to the prices for the 10th gen, pricing only increased a few hundred per trim with the biggest jump being on the LX from the current LX sedan. But the touring actually got no price increase despite the new features. I can't get over how much they seem to have neutered the EX trim however. But my EX coupe has more features baked in than the EX sedan did, they could've migrated the 10-speaker honda stereo my 19 has to the new EX sedan IMO, and no fog lights just seems like a weird omission... but maybe they think the Si will be the better value and higher sales volume IF they offer an auto (kind of like the Sport compared to the LX).
Hasnt the SI always been between the EX and Touring though? 2020 SI was like 25.5k plus destination fees, right? Price will likely increase by $500 or so.

Something tells me the EX decontenting has more to do with Honda being cheap and less to do with an SI model. I sincerely hope they offer an automatic and hatch body style cause i know you really want that...but Honda is wierd with packaging so I bet at this point neither will be offered on the SI.
Sponsored

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX
Hasnt the SI always been between the EX and Touring though? 2020 SI was like 25.5k plus destination fees, right? Price will likely increase by $500 or so.

Something tells me the EX decontenting has more to do with Honda being cheap and less to do with an SI model. I sincerely hope they offer an automatic and hatch body style cause i know you really want that...but Honda is wierd with packaging so I bet at this point neither will be offered on the SI.
I hope they don’t offer an automatic Si. Dealers will then say the manual is even rarer than they already pretend the Si is and use it to jack up the price even more because they will order mainly automatics.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
I hope they don’t offer an automatic Si. Dealers will then say the manual is even rarer than they already pretend the Si is and use it to jack up the price even more because they will order mainly automatics.
You are right about that!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Or SI could come standard with CVT and then offer a no charge manual option. The worst possible outcome of increasing the SI price while effectively killing the future of manuals.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Did honda remove the blind spot monitoring? While it may not been the most popular feature, it allowed me cut through 3 lanes of traffic very safely because I am able to see everything behind me on the right

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX
Did honda remove the blind spot monitoring? While it may not been the most popular feature, it allowed me cut through 3 lanes of traffic very safely because I am able to see everything behind me on the right
If you mean the LaneWatch camera then yes, I think Honda has been phasing that out across all models.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Btw, this information may have been preliminary but according to press reports late last year, the Si and CTR should continue to be manual only.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-honda-civic-sedan-prototype-reveal/
Most of the reports I've seen that have had interviews with Honda their execs were saying "a manual will continue to be offered" not "manual-only" in motortrend, car and driver, etc. I already have issues with that report as they misstated 1.6T instead of 1.5T... what else did they mistranslate?

As much as the purists hate the idea of an auto option for the Si (which I still just.... don't understand... every other competitor offers an auto... what is the big deal... offering an auto option does exactly zero to effect your manual...) but with the slow take rate of manuals in general (lets be generous and say 5%)... if we want Honda to even continue offering an Si into the future, sales volume will need to come up to justify the cost of even building the variant. The Si as a trim (just like other upper trims) is always going to be a lower volume trim.... having it be manual only means that number drops drastically even further. Now... 15 years ago when manual take rates were quite a bit higher, did it make sense to offer manual only? Absolutely. Without question. But in the current state of auto sales where even actual hardcore sports cars (like the supra) aren't even offering a manual transmission, you have to really take a long hard look at what Honda is willing to justify spending production money on it it only accounts for.... 2-3% of sales? They canceled the coupe when it dropped to 6% sales volume....

If we want the Si to continue to be on offer as an affordable sporty variant at all... and offer a manual, at all... an automatic option for the Si is almost paramount IMO to giving it the sales volume it needs to support the continuation of the manual.

And I'm not trying to fight with anyone... obviously this is all just personal opinion and guesses paired with general statistics. I work in marketing, so I have a strong opinion about marketing/product choices made by ANY company, especially honda, as I want to see them do well, and I want attractive offerings for myself and all enthusiasts. I totally get that the Si purists love the Si being "exclusive" because it is manual only... but exclusivity doesn't sell in volume... and Honda has made it glaringly apparent in recent years that if sales numbers dip too much, they won't hesitate to cancel a product (accord coupe, civic coupe, Fit, multiple trim offerings across the various ranges). I want to see the Si persist... and I feel that offering both sedan AND hatch Si models with both manual and auto options is our best bet at keeping enthusiast products like the Si around as long as possible. Especially as we all glare down the barrel of hybrid/electric cars becoming the default in the next 20 odd years.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue being two-fold. One, they won't drop a CVT in an Si over potential reliability concerns and it's doubtful they'd go to the expense of dropping in a DCT or traditional auto in there since Civics have used CVTs forever. Again, time will tell.

I think the likelihood of an Si hatch is far greater than the chance of an Si automatic.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue being two-fold. One, they won't drop a CVT in an Si over potential reliability concerns and it's doubtful they'd go to the expense of dropping in a DCT or traditional auto in there since Civics have used CVTs forever. Again, time will tell.

I think the likelihood of an Si hatch is far greater than the chance of an Si automatic.
I'd totally agree if not for the fact the ILX exists, and is being replaced most likely with something similar to the Si setup and platform, meaning that they'd already have a ready to go auto option. That being said, the ILX replacement might be what would prevent an auto Si from happening, but I suspect the new ILX replacement will be jumping out of civic price territory and into Type R territory. In my mind that gives more than enough justification for the Type R to remain manual only (because ILX replacement exists, and will have a Type S variant most likely similar to the Type R in powertrain, but with an auto standard). But the space between the new acura compact and the civic Si isn't going to be nearly as close as the current cars are in price if the TLX price bump is any indication.

It basically means Honda has to spend basically $0 on R&D for the DCT they already use in the ILX, dropped into the Si which will most likely be mechanically similar (if not identical) to the new Acura compact. Granted, the new compact acura could remain on the cheaper end, less than $30k starting out, at which point, they probably wouldn't offer the auto Si... but jumping into the new Acura would be a minor price increase compared to the Si. So there's multiple ways it could work out. If they're already spending the extra production money to offer 2-3 manual variants that will make up less than 5% of total sales, then adding an auto option is production cost negligible as it'd only serve to increase sales volume of the Si trim.

I agree that an Si hatch is a must, especially with the coupe not around anymore. But we shall see in the coming months. I honestly just enjoy speculating for the fun of it.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Over the years I've found out that both Toyota and Honda will go out of their way to ensure their most basic trim line sells high in volume. Anybody remember the hugely successful Scion xB? It sold so much Toyota cancelled it because it interfered with a big chunk of Corolla sales. They came out with the 2nd Gen xB which lacked all the fun of the 1st Gen and thus, the bland Corolla was saved.
An Auto Si sounds great in theory but the manual Si is there to promote Civic's as a whole. Honda won't make an Auto Si because it would mean a lot more Si sales, which means 2 things:

1. LESS lower trim Civic Sales(Honda CANNOT accept this).
2. A lot of wrecked Si's, with TOO MANY wrecked Si owner's human bodies(VERY bad for Civic reputation/sales)

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Over the years I've found out that both Toyota and Honda will go out of their way to ensure their most basic trim line sells high in volume. Anybody remember the hugely successful Scion xB? It sold so much Toyota cancelled it because it interfered with a big chunk of Corolla sales. They came out with the 2nd Gen xB which lacked all the fun of the 1st Gen and thus, the bland Corolla was saved.
An Auto Si sounds great in theory but the manual Si is there to promote Civic's as a whole. Honda won't make an Auto Si because it would mean a lot more Si sales, which means 2 things:

1. LESS lower trim Civic Sales(Honda CANNOT accept this).
2. A lot of wrecked Si's, with TOO MANY wrecked Si owner's human bodies(VERY bad for Civic reputation/sales)
As if automatic optioned sports cars don't exist already from other brands.... why would the Si suddenly be some magical exception that everyone would be wrecking them and they'd dominate lower trim sales? lmao. At a price point of probably over $26k the LX and Sport trims would easily continue to dominate sales. To each their own on this matter, but that logic just doesn't make any sense at all.

Also... it's not magical honda/toyota that cars sell at volume in lower trims... that's just normal market trend for vehicles outside of the luxury segment. Look at literally any other automaker that still sells an affordable sedan/hatch or even CUV, be it hyundai, kia, mazda, ford, etc etc. 80% of what you come across on the road are base trim levels because, suprise, the majority of people aren't car enthusiasts and don't see the point in dropping tons of money on a point A to B appliance, nor do the majority of people HAVE the money to spend on anything nicer than a base trim level in a lot of instances, even more so in a crippled small car market dominated by crossovers.

Honda makes the least amount of money per sale of a base trim car... higher trims have a much higher profit margin, i.e. the more higher trims sell, the more money honda makes per sale. It makes perfect sense to broaden the appeal of the Si with an auto option and rake in all the cash they could be losing to competitors that have been offering auto options on their sporty entries the entire time. And with small cars sales already suffering, every extra sale they could potentially make matters, not just to honda, but to the continuation of the Si as an offering at all... the Type R now exists to elevate the civic brand... that makes the Si just another sporty trim offering like so many others on the market.

All guesses and conjecture at this point. Honda gonna do what honda gonna do, and they definitely don't always make good decisions despite what customers ask for. I'll be perfectly happy to keep my 10th gen coupe in lieu of a new Si hatch. So it really doesn't matter either way.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've owned manual cars most of my life. My 10th gen is my first CVT. And while there is no question a manual is more engaging and fun, I'm not one of those purists that says Si should be manual only. I'd welcome a DCT Si. From a sales POV, it would make a huge amount of sense for Honda. But, they've resisted it all these years, which is why I still think the 11th gen will stay manual only.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've owned manual cars most of my life. My 10th gen is my first CVT. And while there is no question a manual is more engaging and fun, I'm not one of those purists that says Si should be manual only. I'd welcome a DCT Si. From a sales POV, it would make a huge amount of sense for Honda. But, they've resisted it all these years, which is why I still think the 11th gen will stay manual only.
100%, Honda's own stubborness would be the only thing keeping an Si auto option from happening. Cut off their nose to spite their face. Despite demand, business/sales sense, and competition Honda is not known for making sound decisions on certain things. I'm hopeful, but also not holding my breath.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
100%, Honda's own stubborness would be the only thing keeping an Si auto option from happening. Cut off their nose to spite their face. Despite demand, business/sales sense, and competition Honda is not known for making sound decisions on certain things. I'm hopeful, but also not holding my breath.
This is the truth
Sponsored

Last edited: