• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Roughness on initial takeoff

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
A couple of things to keep in mind--First, a RWD car like the S2000 doesn't have a direct mechanical connection between the drivetrain and the steering in the way an FF car does. An FF car has driveshafts and traction forces operating through the front wheels, so what you feel in the wheel is a mixture of steering and drivetrain. With the S2000, the two are separate. The traction forces don't go through the steered wheels in front so there is some isolation that keeps vibration away from the steering wheel.

The second thing is that the things done to improve steering feel and feedback--stiffer bushings and a more rigid EPS torsion bar/shaft--these things will transmit more vibration through the wheel. You're likely feeling the honest feedback of what's going on.
Sponsored

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
A couple of things to keep in mind--First, a RWD car like the S2000 doesn't have a direct mechanical connection between the drivetrain and the steering in the way an FF car does. An FF car has driveshafts and traction forces operating through the front wheels, so what you feel in the wheel is a mixture of steering and drivetrain. With the S2000, the two are separate. The traction forces don't go through the steered wheels in front so there is some isolation that keeps vibration away from the steering wheel.

The second thing is that the things done to improve steering feel and feedback--stiffer bushings and a more rigid EPS torsion bar/shaft--these things will transmit more vibration through the wheel. You're likely feeling the honest feedback of what's going on.
What do you mean by a mechanical connection?

Both cars have electronic power steering and the steering wheel / column is mechanically connected to that motor which then turns the front wheels. Axles in a factory-spec car shouldn't make any difference to the steering feel at low speeds.

I know what this guy is talking about, and it's not normal. I have an FK8 race car, a fully built time attack car that takes off butter smooth. My FL5 has a vibration / harmonic buzz when taking off from a stop. It did it the day I drove it home from the dealer. I noticed it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fundamentals of RWD vs FWD

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
What do you mean by a mechanical connection?

Both cars have electronic power steering and the steering wheel / column is mechanically connected to that motor which then turns the front wheels. Axles in a factory-spec car shouldn't make any difference to the steering feel at low speeds.

I know what this guy is talking about, and it's not normal. I have an FK8 race car, a fully built time attack car that takes off butter smooth. My FL5 has a vibration / harmonic buzz when taking off from a stop. It did it the day I drove it home from the dealer. I noticed it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fundamentals of RWD vs FWD
To clarify, I meant that the output of the engine through the drive shaft acts upon the front wheels and so part of what the steering feedback contains is the various forces acting on the knuckle. The most common example would be torque steer.

You might be right, and maybe I don't recognize what he's talking about. I traded in my FK8 for my FL5 last month and I didn't notice anything, but that could be me.

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R, 2002 S2000
That’s way too high. Barely above idle is more than enough.
Damn really?! I feel like at 2k rpm I’m barely touching the throttle..if I do let the clutch out slowly and barely give it throttle I won’t feel the steering wheel vibration nearly as much if at all but I feel like that’s a difficult way to get the car going and I can’t repe

I think I understand what you’re getting at. It would make sense that one would feel more steering wheel vibration with a FF car then a FR car. So I sold a 2021 accord 2.0t for my Type R. Similar engine of course to the Type R and I remember feeling a similar tiny vibration in the steering wheel when I would initially take off from a dead stop. Very minimal and less than I feel in the Type R but there. Others probably wouldn’t feel it or wouldn’t be bothered by it but I guess I just am more sensitive to vibrations.

I honestly don’t care that the cars does it if it’s normal. The car is fantastic and a perfect daily for me Just want to know it’s normal and nothing inherently wrong you know.

I think I know what you are talking about. I noticed noise and harshness the day I drove it home from the dealer but I just accounted it to being brand new. I've got about 7k miles on the car now and it still does it. It's not a huge deal, but it certainly sounds like there is a harmonics issue while accelerating. I considered buying the Spoon Rigid Collars and installing them hoping that it would align the subframe to the chassis better.

I know a few others on the Facebook group mentioned the same thing. My car is now lowered on R compound tires, which makes it ride extra stiff. All I hear is the roar of tires when I drive, so it's not that big of an issue to me anymore.

But yea, I don't think you are crazy. I also have an S2000 and this thing is like a Cadilac compared to it in terms of noise... but the S2000 does ride better haha.
good to hear that someone else feels it also! So that’s two or three people on here that feel what I’m feeling which is leading me to believe it’s a normal thing for this car. Hopefully I can find a local type R to drive to confirm.

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
I don't think there is something WRONG... and I never really considered going to the dealer to have them drive the piss out of it and tell me it's fine.

I think I will do the rigid collars eventually and maybe that will fix it. OR... maybe all cars do it and no one else can feel it. :)

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think there is something WRONG... and I never really considered going to the dealer to have them drive the piss out of it and tell me it's fine.

I think I will do the rigid collars eventually and maybe that will fix it. OR... maybe all cars do it and no one else can feel it. :)
I’ve been known amongst my group of friends to feel and hear things on cars that others don’t 🤣 whether that’s good or bad who knows. I pretty much find something annoying about every car and motorcycle that I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned over 20 lol there’s always a noise or vibration that I don’t like and when I point it out to others, they notice but didn’t notice prior to me saying anything.

im sure all of them do it. Once I find a local Type R I can confirm and it’ll stop bothering me lol..the car is brand new and drives perfectly fine otherwise so im sure its fine

On a side note, im actually surprised others on here that have an s2000 think its unrefined compared to this car! The S2000 has always been the “perfect car” for me. It drives so well and sounds so good with the right exhaust. I love its driving characteristics and will never get rid of it for anything. It’s not as practical as the Type R nor as fast but the feeling from the car is so good that if I had to keep one, it would be the S2000

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
On a side note, im actually surprised others on here that have an s2000 think its unrefined compared to this car! The S2000 has always been the “perfect car” for me. It drives so well and sounds so good with the right exhaust. I love its driving characteristics and will never get rid of it for anything. It’s not as practical as the Type R nor as fast but the feeling from the car is so good that if I had to keep one, it would be the S2000
Yea, I have always loved my S2000s. I've had two AP2s and have an 05 currently. It's SO different but its an absolute joy to drive on track. The FL5 will run circles around it but man, the steering and front end of the S2000s is so good.

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, I have always loved my S2000s. I've had two AP2s and have an 05 currently. It's SO different but its an absolute joy to drive on track. The FL5 will run circles around it but man, the steering and front end of the S2000s is so good.
100 percent agree. A stock S2000 is good but an S2000 with the right upgrades is pure driving pleasure. Every car guy should drive one at some point just to experience it.

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
I just installed the PRL rear motor mount and this was exaggerated especially with the valve fuse mod (I have the front resonator delete as well). NVH is practically the same as stock with valve closed. I think it's just the nature of this drivetrain to vibrate hard through certain lower RPM ranges. I say everything is normal.

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the PRL rear motor mount and this was exaggerated especially with the valve fuse mod (I have the front resonator delete as well). NVH is practically the same as stock with valve closed. I think it's just the nature of this drivetrain to vibrate hard through certain lower RPM ranges. I say everything is normal.
so you feel that steering wheel vibration on initial takeoff from a stop as well? I would assume any stiffer motor mounts would exaggerate the hell outta this for sure

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
so you feel that steering wheel vibration on initial takeoff from a stop as well? I would assume any stiffer motor mounts would exaggerate the hell outta this for sure
Actually not so much the steering wheel but just in general throughout the car, you might want to get that checked out.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link

I have Rigid Collars on my Sport Touring, it'll definitely improve ride quality, but shifting still feels like it did before installing them. I have the PRL RMM to install next and I've seen people say there is an improvement in shifting since installing theirs.

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
I have Rigid Collars on my Sport Touring, it'll definitely improve ride quality, but shifting still feels like it did before installing them. I have the PRL RMM to install next and I've seen people say there is an improvement in shifting since installing theirs.
I don't have any issues shifting... I'm not sure how collars or an engine mount is going to change how the car shifts. But anyway, like I said in my other post, my car's tires are so loud and rough, nothing really matters haha.

atucker80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Civic Type R, 2022 Mustang GT CS

Same here. My 2000 S2000 was smooth as glass. Not a single vibration, squeak, or rattle in the >7 years I owned it. Sadly my dumbass sold it well before the values got crazy.. $16k in 2016 for a 2000 with only 43k mile on it... 🤬

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after driving the car a little more this weekend I’ve kind of narrowed down what I’m feeling.

So on initial takeoff from a stop, as your letting the clutch out and start giving the car some throttle (I’m talking minimal throttle like just enough to get the car going..around 1.5krpm) I’m feeling a subtle steering wheel vibration and vibration in the clutch pedal until the clutch is fully engaged and in driving. It honestly feels like it’s vibration from the engine being slightly transferred into the steering wheel and clutch pedal.

I don’t feel this vibration while changing through any other gear.

Does no one have this same vibration? Everyone else lets out the clutch while giving throttle and it’s buttery smooth with no vibration in the steering wheel or clutch pedal?
Sponsored

Last edited: