• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Roughness on initial takeoff

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R, 2002 S2000
Quick question for everyone on the FL5. This is my first K20 and I’ve read countless threads about how this engine isn’t the smoothest. I’m also aware that there are no balance shafts and this was an intentional move by Honda.

I feel the vibration going through the rev range that everyone talks about but does anyone feel a sort of roughness/vibration going through the steering wheel when initially taking off from a stop? Just a normal take off in traffic not racing. You let the clutch out normally and start applying throttle and I can feel vibration through the steering wheel until I’m all the way out of the clutch. Nothing crazy feeling but it’s not buttery smooth like I’m used to on manual trans. My other car is 22 year old s2000 and that thing is like butter coming from a stop.

Makes me almost feel like i need to bleed the clutch fluid lol. Car drives fine and pulls like a champ but that initial vibration when going from a dead stop is somewhat annoying. Just wondering if anyone else feels this.

and to be clear, this isn’t a crazy vibration like the steering wheel is gonna fall off. Just a noticeable vibration when taking off in first that I don’t notice on my S2000. It’s the only other manual that I drive regularly so only thing I have to compare
Sponsored

Last edited:

JPoole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR '23 GR Morizo
Obviously without feeling what you're feeling it will be hard to say exactly, but I believe what you are experiencing is the normal shift in a front wheel drive car with a longitudinally mounted engine. My 2 cents

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CW Type R
Yes, I feel it in the wheel when leaving a stop, like a frequency vibration around 2k revs. Just assume its a characteristic of the motor, didn't notice when new but once I was around 1k miles I started to notice.

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously without feeling what you're feeling it will be hard to say exactly, but I believe what you are experiencing is the normal shift in a front wheel drive car with a longitudinally mounted engine. My 2 cents
Yeah it’s hard to explain cause I’ve never felt it before lol. It’s just this subtle vibration in the steering wheel while letting out the clutch in first. Honestly feels like engine vibration being transferred into the steering wheel at very low rpm that smooths out once the clutch is all the way out. Nothing crazy like I said but just not super smooth which is what I would expect with a new car. I noticed it almost instantly driving the car but I just recently jumped back into my s2000 after a while of not driving it and noticed how much noticeably smoother the car was and thought it was odd.

It’s nothing overly concerning but just wanted to see if others feel this or if this is an issue with my particular car

Yes, I feel it in the wheel when leaving a stop, like a frequency vibration around 2k revs. Just assume its a characteristic of the motor, didn't notice when new but once I was around 1k miles I started to notice.
alright cool appreciate the response! I figure this is a characteristic of the car and maybe I’m just being to nit pickey lol.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I don't know. My FL5 is leagues smoother than my S2000. In all regards.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
What drive mode you using? This can obviously affect steering feel and possibly even road/drivetrain feedback too.

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What drive mode you using? This can obviously affect steering feel and possibly even road/drivetrain feedback too.
I have it in individual with steering and suspension set to comfort and engine in +R…I’ve tried putting everything in comfort and feels mostly the same with a subtle vibration in the steering wheel on initial takeoff from a dead stop

I don't know. My FL5 is leagues smoother than my S2000. In all regards.
that’s interesting to hear cause I feel the exact opposite lol. I have an ‘02 with 39k miles though. FBO and tuned on a LINK standalone wit stock clutch but ACT HD pressure plate. That thing is buttery smooth on takeoff and no vibrations at all anywhere in the rpm range.

The Type R definitely has noticeable, to me at least, vibration in the earlier portions of the rev range which I’ve heard is normal for this engine. The steering wheel vibration on initial take off from a dead stop though I’ve heard no one mention so I’m concerned it’s an issue maybe with my car.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@UCF120 Yeah, it’s hard to say without seeing/feeling what you’re describing. My car is currently in the body shop (nothing major, dealership had a small mishap) so I can’t go for a drive and see if I can sense this in my car for a few days. I think your best bet is to just drive it. If it’s becomes an actual problem it’s covered by warranty.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
that’s interesting to hear cause I feel the exact opposite lol. I have an ‘02 with 39k miles though. FBO and tuned on a LINK standalone wit stock clutch but ACT HD pressure plate. That thing is buttery smooth on takeoff and no vibrations at all anywhere in the rpm range.
My AP1 is 100% stock. 22.600 miles on the odometer.
The FL5 is incredibly refined next to it. Buttery smooth. I guess it's all relative.

The S2000 is unrefined next to a 5th gen Civic, let alone an 11th gen. All sorts of drivetrain noises and vibrations. When I bought my first one, back in the early 2000s, I was so surprised (it was my first ever sports car) I even took it to the dealer to ask if there was anything wrong with the engine mounts or something. But no, it's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@UCF120 Yeah, it’s hard to say without seeing/feeling what you’re describing. My car is currently in the body shop (nothing major, dealership had a small mishap) so I can’t go for a drive and see if I can sense this in my car for a few days. I think your best bet is to just drive it. If it’s becomes an actual problem it’s covered by warranty.
yeah it’s nothing major. Just something noticeable to me you know. Just seeing if this is unusual for other owners which it appears to be since most say it’s a smooth takeoff. Wonder if I’m just being overly picky with this car lol. I don’t sense any other drivability issues but it almost seems like maybe a motor mount is going bad with this particular vibration. Only way I can really explain it

My AP1 is 100% stock. 22.600 miles on the odometer.
The FL5 is incredibly refined next to it. Buttery smooth. I guess it's all relative.

The S2000 is unrefined next to a 5th gen Civic, let alone an 11th gen. All sorts of drivetrain noises and vibrations. When I bought my first one, back in the early 2000s, I was so surprised (it was my first ever sports car) I even took it to the dealer to ask if there was anything wrong with the engine mounts or something. But no, it's just the nature of the beast.
wow that’s definitely surprising to hear! I haven’t had a factory exhaust on my car for years though but I do remember a lot of valve train/drivetrain noise when the car had stock exhaust. The moment I put a T1R single on there all I heard was that glorious exhaust note and it drowned everything else out. I don’t feel any vibrations on my s2000 though that’s for sure! Car is super smooth.

the FL5 is smooth also I don’t want this to sound like the car is rattling apart. Just a noticeable engine vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel on takeoff which I feel is abnormal and almost like a bad motor mount. Gonna check the mounts soon and see if i notice any wear actually

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Could even be that the car needs a little more break-in time? When you first got the car, what were the ambient temps? What are the ambient temps now? Could be the mounts are a little stiffer (due to cold) versus when you bought it?

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could even be that the car needs a little more break-in time? When you first got the car, what were the ambient temps? What are the ambient temps now? Could be the mounts are a little stiffer (due to cold) versus when you bought it?
so I actually bought this car slightly used from a friend of a friend and it had 3k miles on it when i purchased. Didn’t want to pay the markup so this was the only way I could get one at a decent price.

I’m in Florida so ambient temps have been similar since I purchased. No real swing either way in temps.

I remember test driving a brand new one and thinking while I was test driving it that it didn’t feel as smooth on takeoff as I thought it should. And that was a completely different car. Just can’t remember if the steering wheel vibration was there like I’m currently feeling it. Most that I have asked seem to feel the FL5 is smooth on takeoff also so makes me think I may have an issue. Wish I could drive another one to see if it’s similar but dealers here don’t necessarily allow people to drive them around lol gotta find someone close to see if they’ll let me drive there’s

OP
OP
UCF120

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just checked my motor mounts and they all appear perfectly fine and new 🤣…I really think this is just a characteristic of the car that I’m feeling and maybe I’m just more sensitive to it than others

like @madsedan said in his reply..I feel it right around 2k rpm which is typical where one is at when slipping the clutch to get the car going from a stop…in fact simply reving the car in neutral when you get to 2k rpm I can feel the subtle vibration in the steering wheel.

only way I can really find out if it’s normal is to drive someone else’s car..I’ll find a local type R at a car show and hopefully get them to allow me to drive it around slowly and I’ll respond back with results

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I feel it right around 2k rpm which is typical where one is at when slipping the clutch to get the car going from a stop…
That’s way too high. Barely above idle is more than enough.

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
I think I know what you are talking about. I noticed noise and harshness the day I drove it home from the dealer but I just accounted it to being brand new. I've got about 7k miles on the car now and it still does it. It's not a huge deal, but it certainly sounds like there is a harmonics issue while accelerating. I considered buying the Spoon Rigid Collars and installing them hoping that it would align the subframe to the chassis better.

I know a few others on the Facebook group mentioned the same thing. My car is now lowered on R compound tires, which makes it ride extra stiff. All I hear is the roar of tires when I drive, so it's not that big of an issue to me anymore.

But yea, I don't think you are crazy. I also have an S2000 and this thing is like a Cadilac compared to it in terms of noise... but the S2000 does ride better haha.
Sponsored