• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Thanks for sharing. Interesting this coilover system is compatible with the factory adaptive damper system. Would like to hear about your impressions after extended seat time.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
Just finished installing the new RS-R Coilovers. It was pretty straight forward. Hopefully it helps anyone that is wanting to install their own Coilovers or springs.

Was looking into these too. Not much info with these even from the FK8 forums. Interested into how they work with the factory adaptive damper settings.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I'm also very curious to hear your impressions of the coilovers. Hopefully you'll do another video or share more info on here.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Nice vid. Looking forward to impressions as well. After having Ohlins on my last car, they are hard to beat for a street/track car and the build quality is top notch.

Was nice to see you guys remove the end link and toe links to remove the front struts. Way easier then removing the axle nut.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Was looking into these too. Not much info with these even from the FK8 forums. Interested into how they work with the factory adaptive damper settings.
I know only 1 person that bought these for his FK8 and he loves them. Most refuse to spend this much money on a brand that isn't Ohlins. That's why there's such little info on them.

The REMARK/R.M.K. Design shop car has these installed on them as well. I plan to get a set when these spoon springs eventually wear out my OEM dampers.

Phil Devtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sierra Denali/'22 Yukon Denali/'22 X5/'23 FL5
Good looking coilovers!

One question…is RS-R a good brand. Pardon my ignorance, but I’ve been out of the Japanese scene for almost 20 years. Last time I was modifying Hondas, RS-R was a cheap , no-name brand.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Good looking coilovers!

One question…is RS-R a good brand. Pardon my ignorance, but I’ve been out of the Japanese scene for almost 20 years. Last time I was modifying Hondas, RS-R was a cheap , no-name brand.
RS-R is a respected outfit known for manufacturing high-quality suspension components. My introduction to modifying Japanese imports goes back to my teenage years and RS-R was never a "no-name brand". While they may not be as popular or well-known as Spoon, TODA Racing, or Amuse Powerhouse they have their place in Japan's tuning scene.

Phil Devtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sierra Denali/'22 Yukon Denali/'22 X5/'23 FL5
RS-R is a respected outfit known for manufacturing high-quality suspension components. My introduction to modifying Japanese imports goes back to my teenage years and RS-R was never a "no-name brand". While they may not be as popular or well-known as Spoon, TODA Racing, or Amuse Powerhouse they have their place in Japan's tuning scene.
Good to know. Thank you! Definitely been looking for coilovers for my FL5. This one is definitely on the list.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Just finished installing the new RS-R Coilovers. It was pretty straight forward. Hopefully it helps anyone that is wanting to install their own Coilovers or springs.

@phothrottle - thanks for the post.

1. Does the FK8 kit fit the FL5 as well? I only see one set listed for the CTR on their site. If it does, does that mean the subframe and damper connection points are the same for both the FK8 and FL5?
https://www.rs-r.com/
https://www.rs-r.com/product/honda-civic-type-r-2017-2022-best-i-active-coilover

2. If the adjustment dials on the dampers are set to full hard, is the ride bouncier and stiffer than stock? Likewise, if the dials are set to full soft, is the ride softer than stock?

3. Can the ride height be set to stock height, or close to stock height? If not, what is the minimum drop that is possible? I like stock height lol.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe this is the FL5 kit:
https://www.rs-r.com/product/honda-civic-type-r-2023-best-i-active-coilover

I can't comment on how soft/stiff these are but from what I was reading online you essentially set your Sport mode and then it will adjust up or down accordingly like 5 clicks each mode. So it's a sliding scale that goes up or down from the initial set point you choose.

After reading the page more it seems like the maximum adjustment is +5mm in the front and -10mm in the rear. So you can't quite get to stock height in the rear but you probably can in the front.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I believe this is the FL5 kit:
https://www.rs-r.com/product/honda-civic-type-r-2023-best-i-active-coilover

I can't comment on how soft/stiff these are but from what I was reading online you essentially set your Sport mode and then it will adjust up or down accordingly like 5 clicks each mode. So it's a sliding scale that goes up or down from the initial set point you choose.

After reading the page more it seems like the maximum adjustment is +5mm in the front and -10mm in the rear. So you can't quite get to stock height in the rear but you probably can in the front.
Thanks - weird, I did not see that product page navigating on their site, under coilovers.

So it looks like you can move up the fronts 5mm from the -25mm it's already set to, still resulting in a 20mm drop in the front (basically almost an inch)?

And the rears can only be lowered (no raising option here) from the -30mm it's already set to?

Which means if you want to keep the stock-ish rake, the rear height would also determine the front height. So basically, the preset height is practically the lowest you can go?

The spring rates definitely went up it looks like.

I assume a sliding scale that moves across the board? In other words, you can increase or decrease the stiffness globally for all modes at a time, but you wouldn't be able to set comfort softer and +R harder at the same time, right? So the bottom line is, the dampers can be set to both softer and harder than stock across the 3 modes (but not at the same time)? Like if I know I'll be driving cross country hitting potholes, the ride can be plushier than stock, but if I'm tracking, the car can be made harder than stock +R?

11th Gen Honda Civic RS-R Coilovers Installation on FL5 Type R 1694184579955

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it looks like you can move up the fronts 5mm from the -25mm it's already set to, still resulting in a 20mm drop in the front (basically almost an inch)?

And the rears can only be lowered (no raising option here) from the -30mm it's already set to?

Which means if you want to keep the stock-ish rake, the rear height would also determine the front height. So basically, the preset height is practically the lowest you can go?

The spring rates definitely went up it looks like.

I assume a sliding scale that moves across the board? In other words, you can increase or decrease the stiffness globally for all modes at a time, but you wouldn't be able to set comfort softer and +R harder at the same time, right? So the bottom line is, the dampers can be set to both softer and harder than stock across the 3 modes (but not at the same time)? Like if I know I'll be driving cross country hitting potholes, the ride can be plushier than stock, but if I'm tracking, the car can be made harder than stock +R?
I don't think that's how the height adjustment is measured. Look at the maximum as relation to stock. So at full extension the front would be +5mm in the front (from stock) and rear would be -10mm (from stock). Looking at their ranges again I wonder if the +5 should be -5 and it's a typo...

The preset is just how they are configured from their factory.

From what I have read from others the range slides up or down but no you cannot adjust individual modes for each. But let's say you wanted the overall range to be softer you could manually adjust the knobs to be on the softer side and +R would be softer than stock. Then if you are going to track you adjust the range higher so +R would be harder than stock. I can't comment if it actually gets stiffer than +R as that's pretty aggressive from the factory. RS-R is known to be on the softer side for coilovers in general.

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I would like to know is how @phothrottle feels about these coilovers so far. Not many people have shared except for a few FK8 guys. I think he's holding his opinion until his second video judging from the comments on his first video though.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't think that's how the height adjustment is measured. Look at the maximum as relation to stock. So at full extension the front would be +5mm in the front (from stock) and rear would be -10mm (from stock). Looking at their ranges again I wonder if the +5 should be -5 and it's a typo...

The preset is just how they are configured from their factory.

From what I have read from others the range slides up or down but no you cannot adjust individual modes for each. But let's say you wanted the overall range to be softer you could manually adjust the knobs to be on the softer side and +R would be softer than stock. Then if you are going to track you adjust the range higher so +R would be harder than stock. I can't comment if it actually gets stiffer than +R as that's pretty aggressive from the factory. RS-R is known to be on the softer side for coilovers in general.
Gotcha, so the adjustment ranges listed are using stock height as the baseline. Yea, I think you're right about the typo. Back when I was looking at this for the FK8, the +5mm seemed off. So if the numbers are relative to stock height and that +5 should be a -5, the fronts can be lowered 5mm and the rears 10mm. If you want to keep the stock rake, than it's gotta be 10mm drop all around (so roughly almost a half-inch drop), otherwise the car might look awkward and look like it's constantly lunging at something lol. Half-inch not bad I guess, though I wish they could have retained the stock height as an option.
Sponsored