• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Spoon Springs vs Eibach?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
@tezzasaurusrex I appreciate you sharing your honest feedback on the Spoon Sports Springs. Much of what youā€™ve covered is the very reason lowering springs are a hard no for me, track or street application. If youā€™re a discerning driver and have understanding of suspension geometry and setup, springs are almost always inadequate. Coilovers can present other challenges; however, a proper coilover system will put you much closer to a fit for purpose solution than lowering springs. You seem versed on this topic so this is nothing new.

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
Eye wateringly expensive, but I'm sure a good option :thumbsup:
well, after getting a new set of wheels and tires I dont think I can even think about getting coils atm.. thats why i even have spoon springs to begin with

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
@tezzasaurusrex I appreciate you sharing your honest feedback on the Spoon Sports Springs. Much of what youā€™ve covered is the very reason lowering springs are a hard no for me, track or street application. If youā€™re a discerning driver and have understanding of suspension geometry and setup, springs are almost always inadequate. Coilovers can present other challenges; however, a proper coilover system will put you much closer to a fit for purpose solution than lowering springs. You seem versed on this topic so this is nothing new.
Thats right - it's a game of compromises. I did run Eibach Pro-Kits on my 7.5 Golf R which performed admirably, but I think the performance of the FL5 is in such a way that we really can't improve on it without spending a decent amount.

well, after getting a new set of wheels and tires I dont think I can even think about getting coils atm.. thats why i even have spoon springs to begin with
I was/am in the same position. And I wanted to give the stock suspension a fighting chance as I do like the concept of on the fly adjustable/adaptive damping. I am yet to try the ITS ADS module though, perhaps that might help some, but I'm reluctant to go down this rabbit hole for marginal gains.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
I've been running the Spoon springs (FL5 Specific Set) for about a month now - been on the track once. They feel great, ride is definitely stiffer, and body movements are better controlled.
However, they are not perfect. Firstly, the fronts are noisy on sharp drop offs (decompressions) such as when it rebounds after hitting a speed bump or sharp undulation in the road, I have been able to reduce the noise by installing an additional spring insulator (made by Tein) to the front springs however it has not eliminated this noise. Additionally, I am running a 7mm spring shim on the rear positioned between the upper spring rubber insulator and the body, to make the vehicle sit flat. Without the shim, it is heavily reversed raked.
I plan to upgrade to coilovers towards the end of the year.
I appreciate the feedback and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll arrive at the same conclusions.
Did you do any other upgrades in addition to the springs? I went ahead and replaced the front lower ball joint and rear camber arms for added adjustability for a proper track alignment.

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
Thats right - it's a game of compromises. I did run Eibach Pro-Kits on my 7.5 Golf R which performed admirably, but I think the performance of the FL5 is in such a way that we really can't improve on it without spending a decent amount.

I was/am in the same position. And I wanted to give the stock suspension a fighting chance as I do like the concept of on the fly adjustable/adaptive damping. I am yet to try the ITS ADS module though, perhaps that might help some, but I'm reluctant to go down this rabbit hole for marginal gains.
the more i think about it the more im leaning towards forgoing the springs and maybe just save for an coilover set.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I appreciate the feedback and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll arrive at the same conclusions.
Did you do any other upgrades in addition to the springs? I went ahead and replaced the front lower ball joint and rear camber arms for added adjustability for a proper track alignment.
I'm currently just running the Spoon springs and the hardrace FK8 front camber adjustable ball joint with -2.7 degrees front and -2 degrees rear camber (stock arms, natural camber). Running 18x9.5 ET45 TE37SL and 275/35R18 RE71RS. My car is currently the fastest FL5 in the country with lap times not too far off highly modified FK8's.

I have some 18x10 TE37's coming towards the end of the year which will help better support the 275's (I think 9.5 is too narrow imo). I also have some custom shims being made for the hardrace ball joints to achieve -1.5 change which should bring the front to around -3.2. The shim sets that the ball joint comes with only achieves increments of whole degrees (0, -1, -2).

I have no plans to make any power modifications at this stage.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
I'm currently just running the Spoon springs and the hardrace FK8 front camber adjustable ball joint with -2.7 degrees front and -2 degrees rear camber (stock arms, natural camber). Running 18x9.5 ET45 TE37SL and 275/35R18 RE71RS. My car is currently the fastest FL5 in the country with lap times not too far off highly modified FK8's.

I have some 18x10 TE37's coming towards the end of the year which will help better support the 275's (I think 9.5 is too narrow imo). I also have some custom shims being made for the hardrace ball joints to achieve -1.5 change which should bring the front to around -3.2. The shim sets that the ball joint comes with only achieves increments of whole degrees (0, -1, -2).

I have no plans to make any power modifications at this stage.
Sounds like you have the best mod regardless of power anyway. Driver mod.

Iā€˜m aligning my car soon and will increase the camber for the rear with the Eibach arms and remove the front pin on the struts to get closer or over 3.0.

Iā€™ll be on similar wheel specs but a 265/35 RE71RS tire as I wasnā€™t sure if a 275/35 would fit. But good to know that you got it working.

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
Sounds like you have the best mod regardless of power anyway. Driver mod.

Iā€˜m aligning my car soon and will increase the camber for the rear with the Eibach arms and remove the front pin on the struts to get closer or over 3.0.

Iā€™ll be on similar wheel specs but a 265/35 RE71RS tire as I wasnā€™t sure if a 275/35 would fit. But good to know that you got it working.
im currently running 18x10 +40 i also went with 265/35 but with extreme contact sport 02's cause i wasnt sure if 275/35 would fit.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
im currently running 18x10 +40 i also went with 265/35 but with extreme contact sport 02's cause i wasnt sure if 275/35 would fit.
Thats the exact same spec I am getting - but i'll try to squeeze the 275's under the guards. Hopefully with -3.2 is sufficient! The rear seems to have more room.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

I'm saddened by your review of the spoon springs. I own them but I've yet to install them. I also think I'm going try the ITS ADS module shot. I don't track the car but it is my daily driver. 265/35/18.[/QUOTE]

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm saddened by your review of the spoon springs. I own them but I've yet to install them. I also think I'm going try the ITS ADS module shot. I don't track the car but it is my daily driver. 265/35/18.
If you're not driving at 10/10ths you won't notice the short comings - even guys who are driving at 8/10ths on track seem to comment that they have no trouble with the stock dampers.

For daily purpose lowering springs are fine - but if its a daily not hitting the track I would personally go Eibach Pro Kit.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

I think front -3, rear -2 is close to perfect for those tyres on our cars. Could run a touch more if you're an extremely aggressive driver on a severe asphalt track.

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
If you're not driving at 10/10ths you won't notice the short comings - even guys who are driving at 8/10ths on track seem to comment that they have no trouble with the stock dampers.

For daily purpose lowering springs are fine - but if its a daily not hitting the track I would personally go Eibach Pro Kit.
I was just going to say, because much of the issue on track is the dampening if maybe trying either the ITS module or an EDC delete with the springs would be a good option.

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
I'm saddened by your review of the spoon springs. I own them but I've yet to install them. I also think I'm going try the ITS ADS module shot. I don't track the car but it is my daily driver. 265/35/18.
[/QUOTE]

I think the spoon springs are more than capable for a daily driver set up.
Sponsored