• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Club Version

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
Hi all,

I have been a track enthusiast since my late teens and for the past 15+ years I have adjusted my driving style to primarily RWD cars with the exception of owning an EVO X for a brief time. My previous cars are as follows: S14 (SR20 + welded diff), EVO X, BRZ (1st gen), S2000 (AP1 & AP2), GR86, and a 718 Boxster. My only hesitation before jumping into a FWD platform was not being able to have some oversteer fun at the limit, but to my surprise the FL5 is a rotation monster as long as you turn of VSA with the pedal dance and trail brake the car all the way into the apex.

After two track days with the FL5 under my belt I can confidently say that I'm extremely satisfied with the car and I'm not looking back. Sure, the S2000 is still a car I want to own again but given I need a daily that can do everything I can't complain.

On that note, I would also like to say during my two track events I did not experience any overheating issues even with ambient temps around the mid to upper 90's, granted I did do some heat management modifications around the turbo housing as shown below in the following photos. In addition to the heat insulation materiel, I removed the rain gutter under the hood vent. If anyone else is tracking the car this makes a huge difference and it's super easy to reinstall before going back home.

Please enjoy the following track day photos and the YouTube video from my channel.

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3898.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3899.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3902.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day DSC_0179.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day DSC_0175.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day DSC_0183.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Awesome to hear. Thanks for sharing.

So turning off VSA via the button under the dash is just half off? Is the pedal dance hard to perform and how do you undo it?

Should also tell your friend Danny not to call you when you’re on the track. 😂

OP
OP
Club Version

Club Version

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
Awesome to hear. Thanks for sharing.

So turning off VSA via the button under the dash is just half off? Is the pedal dance hard to perform and how do you undo it?

Should also tell your friend Danny not to call you when you’re on the track. 😂
LMAO the missed call is my favorite bit of the video!

In terms of the VSA off procedure it is pretty simple. Once you turn off the car and turn it back it on the car will go back to default. @TheTopher has a good video on how to disable it, but here is the screen grab from his video. Once done, the rear brakes stopped dragging and the car felt more natural.

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3664.PNG

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
In R mode you can long press and fully defeat the system, pedal dance is only needed for other modes.

OP
OP
Club Version

Club Version

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
In R mode you can long press and fully defeat the system, pedal dance is only needed for other modes.
I was in R Mode and I still did the pedal dance before going out on track. For me the long press still felt as if the rear brakes were dragging. Could just be in my head. Lol

Last edited:

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Interesting. Will have to try it next year when I track the CTR. Thanks.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Another member mentioned heat soak after his track day @ MId-Ohio. Did you experience the same and what are your thoughts on upgrading the intercooler?

OP
OP
Club Version

Club Version

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
Another member mentioned heat soak after his track day @ MId-Ohio. Did you experience the same and what are your thoughts on upgrading the intercooler?
No heat soak issues for me. As I mentioned I removed the rain gutter under the hood vent.
In addition I added some heat insulation materials below and above the intake arm around the hot side of the turbo and wrapped the oil lines too.
At the moment, I’m not going to upgrade the Intercooler. Power wise the car felt great out on track.
11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3691

11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3690

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Do you guys get track day insurance or just yolo it?
Leaving VSA on my S2000 is my insurance. I did turn off VSA on my FK8 but not completely off. Feel like it’s really hard to screw up in a FWD car. But I guess I should think differently next year with the FL5.