• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
There is no track day insurance in Canada unfortunately. That's why my FK8 stays on the street.
Where I live there's no insurance as well. I do the best I can to avoid unnecessary risk, but I have come to terms eventually something is going to happen (and I have seen bad stuff happening...). Unfortunately, you are missing a small bit of joy this car brings you on a track.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
That's interesting. I did not know that! So everyone in Canada on track is rolling the dice?
Yup.
Note: Opentrack covers Canada if you have a U.S address (I don't) and buy the yearly membership (cost: 10% of car's value).

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)
No heat soak issues for me. As I mentioned I removed the rain gutter under the hood vent.
In addition I added some heat insulation materials below and above the intake arm around the hot side of the turbo and wrapped the oil lines too.
At the moment, I’m not going to upgrade the Intercooler. Power wise the car felt great out on track.
I am the other member and I'm going to look into what you've done here.

Also, as you've likely seen, this PRL Intercooler Blog Links is worth reading (if, indeed the data truly checks out...)

PRL Intercooler Blog Link

Interestingly enough, from their blog, the following:

"Once each car achieved full heat-soak, we did another power check the current power output. With our intercooler at full heat soak, we saw a maximum figure of 270WHP / 301WTQ. With the factory intercooler at full heat-soak, we saw a maximum of 237WHP / 258WTQ. When looking at the graph of inlet and outlet pressure during the heat soak test, you can see that the ECU is pulling boost with the factory intercooler as a safety. By the final run, we were down from 25psi to about 16psi."

If the factory to PRL intercooler change can bump WHP by 33-whp at full heat soak, take my money.

OP
OP
Club Version

Club Version

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
I am the other member and I'm going to look into what you've done here.

Also, as you've likely seen, this PRL Intercooler Blog Links is worth reading (if, indeed the data truly checks out...)

PRL Intercooler Blog Link

Interestingly enough, from their blog, the following:

"Once each car achieved full heat-soak, we did another power check the current power output. With our intercooler at full heat soak, we saw a maximum figure of 270WHP / 301WTQ. With the factory intercooler at full heat-soak, we saw a maximum of 237WHP / 258WTQ. When looking at the graph of inlet and outlet pressure during the heat soak test, you can see that the ECU is pulling boost with the factory intercooler as a safety. By the final run, we were down from 25psi to about 16psi."

If the factory to PRL intercooler change can bump WHP by 33-whp at full heat soak, take my money.
I hope my suggestion helps you out!

I just think the tight packaging around the hot side of the turbo is the culprit of all the heat issues these cars are known for. If you look at what spoon has done to their demo car it has a whole bunch more heat insulation materials all around the hot side of the turbo and they are still running oem airbox and intercooler. They even wrapped the coolant hardline behind the turbo.
11th Gen Honda Civic Still Getting Adjusted to FWD | Homestead Miami Speedway Open Track Day IMG_3931

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I hope my suggestion helps you out!

I just think the tight packaging around the hot side of the turbo is the culprit of all the heat issues these cars are known for. If you look at what spoon has done to their demo car it has a whole bunch more heat insulation materials all around the hot side of the turbo and they are still running oem airbox and intercooler. They even wrapped the coolant hardline behind the turbo.
IMG_3931.jpeg
I’m tracking my car also and upgraded the intercooler. It feels more peppy for longer and it really helps with the aircharge.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Off topic question, but based on your experience, if u were to get another s2k which ap would you go with this time around now that you own a fl5?

Ic@ns33urhrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car
No heat soak issues for me. As I mentioned I removed the rain gutter under the hood vent.
In addition I added some heat insulation materials below and above the intake arm around the hot side of the turbo and wrapped the oil lines too.
At the moment, I’m not going to upgrade the Intercooler. Power wise the car felt great out on track.
IMG_3691.jpeg

IMG_3690.jpeg
Good vid! Do you have a link to that insulation that you are using. Thanks.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Off topic question, but based on your experience, if u were to get another s2k which ap would you go with this time around now that you own a fl5?
Ap2 hands down, and if you want me to be honest get 06+. Its the better car, it upsets some people with older gen s2000’s but its the truth. Easy to flash and better torque than the 2.0L you do loose a little of the rev range 8100rpms vs 9k but its really not needed. Also more problems with ap1’s on oil consumption, cracked valve spring retainers, problems with banjo bolts on the bottom end.

Last edited:

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)
I’m tracking my car also and upgraded the intercooler. It feels more peppy for longer and it really helps with the aircharge.
I think this is what I'm going for too... the peppy for longer is the "non-technical" way to say it ;)

I'll likely do the OP's mod too... no reason not to since it's cheap (I'm just not sure about the rain-gutter delete for me)

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think this is what I'm going for too... the peppy for longer is the "non-technical" way to say it ;)

I'll likely do the OP's mod too... no reason not to since it's cheap (I'm just not sure about the rain-gutter delete for me)
The rain gutter does not have to be deleted, its 5 10mm bolts easy to take off and put back.

Last edited: