• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I believe the new car is faster around track but until we get back to back same day same tire its gonna be a debate. I have seen cars run 2 seconds a lap faster in same car same setups because of ambient temps and track temps. The laptime thing is basically meaningless unless its a controlled test.
Well if we can't figure out if the FL5 is faster than the FK8 my wife said she's gonna leave me. She can't have me driving around in a newer model that is slower...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You guys put way too much thought in to marketing and laptimes. You'll gain faster laptimes from experience more than a car. I've seen so many "slower" cars walk all over so called fast cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Well if we can't figure out if the FL5 is faster than the FK8 my wife said she's gonna leave me. She can't have me driving around in a newer model that is slower...
My wives already left me when they saw a Civic pull in the garage. They left a note. "wuts nxt an Altima? Bye."

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
You guys put way too much thought in to marketing and laptops. You'll gain faster laptimes from experience more than a car. I've seen so many "slower" cars walk all over so called fast cars.
If my car cant win internet drag races I dont want it. Also these cars are useless at street takeovers. Aside from my rear passengers having enough roon to shoot a flamethrower out the back I can't drift it.

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
You guys put way too much thought in to marketing and laptops. You'll gain faster laptimes from experience more than a car. I've seen so many "slower" cars walk all over so called fast cars.
Your point is definitely valid. I hadn’t noticed anyone on here arguing against it. I have seen exactly what you describe on several occasions in my experience, on and off the track.

But regardless, having road raced an ITR in a Honda series for years in the 2000s, I can say with certainty that the point savagegeese was making is a valid one. I just wish it was elaborated on/stressed on more occasions than what I’ve seen.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
My wives already left me when they saw a Civic pull in the garage. They left a note. "wuts nxt an Altima? Bye."
You should've said, "Yes, an Altima SR VC-turbo! You're missing out!"

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I wonder if the Si is the better car value for the street vs. the FL5. At at about 150% of the cost of an Si, I'm not sure if the FL5 is worth 15k-20k more. I remember one of your videos mentioned that both cars are targeted by Honda to the same demographic, but the FL5 is a financial stretch to those individuals who want one. If you plan on tracking your Si or FL5, then it makes sense to buy the FL5, but as a purely street car, the Si seems like maybe a better choice. All my opinion of course. :)
As someone who went from an SI to a CTR it was worth it to me. The FK8 -lightly used- ran me 50 % more than the new SI did.
FK8 to FL5? Hard sell for me.
SI to FK8? Totally worth it.

And that's from someone who put 52,000 miles on a '17 SI before getting an '18 FK8- in 2020.
Bottom line- a Type R is worth it. Either gen.
But an SI is a lot more than just a consolation prize. Loved mine. If you put Type R seats in a 10th gen SI, chipped it, threw on a good sounding exhaust and maybe an Acuity shift kit.. you might not really need a Type R. But you'd probably still want one.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
As someone who went from an SI to a CTR it was worth it to me. The FK8 -lightly used- ran me 50 % more than the new SI did.

And that's from someone who put 52,000 miles on a '17 SI before getting an '18 FK8- in 2020.
But an SI is a lot more than just a consolation prize. Loved mine. If you put Type R seats in a 10th gen SI, chipped it, threw on a good sounding exhaust and maybe an Acuity shift kit.. you might not really need a Type R. But you'd probably still want one.
Okay, now here’s my scenario…
Would you trade in a 2022 civic si with less than 10k miles in for a 2020+ FK8 that’s $41-43k with ~40k miles.

Would you give up the nicer interior, Bose sound system, wireless CarPlay, nicer screen, etc for a better engine and transmission but worse interior. I use worse as a comparison not that it’s bad.

My only gripe with the 10th gen is the ac condenser/compressor going bad/blowing hot air. I know Honda warranties one but not the other. My previous 2019 si was starting to blow hot air and I just ended up selling instead for profit during the whole surge of used car prices.

And before you ask, yes my 2019 si was tuned and fun but it wasn’t type r fun. Only other choice besides an FK8 is an S2000. Drove an 03 S2000 and holy shit was that a fun, raw, engaging experience. Ever since I drove that car I can’t find another car with that same experience. Now I get why @savagegeese and other have owned two or more. Maybe I should just buy a S2000 and get rid of the si as a previous owner has told me?

Edit: a word

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

ROFL 🤣 at last couple of sentences. Seats, a chip, exhaust etc - you could continue and add in the kitchen sink and they are still vastly different experiences.

Now when comparing the FK8 to the FL5 - id never buy an FK8. Between the interior, heat soak issues and looks, the FL5 is worth it hands down. Thats not even bringing the better overall performance and experience into play. This kind of back and forth has been done and played out.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
ROFL 🤣 at last couple of sentences. Seats, a chip, exhaust etc - you could continue and add in the kitchen sink and they are still vastly different experiences.

Now when comparing the FK8 to the FL5 - id never buy an FK8. Between the interior, heat soak issues and looks, the FL5 is worth it hands down. Thats not even bringing the better overall performance and experience into play. This kind of back and forth has been done and played out.
How much does it cost to even fix the heatsoak issues versus paying a 10-20k mark up?

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
How much does it cost to even fix the heatsoak issues versus paying a 10-20k mark up?
If dead set on an FK8 and dont care about the rest of what I mentioned you could solve for the heatsoak and move on. As far as $20k mark up - do some recon and a lot better can be done.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If dead set on an FK8 and dont care about the rest of what I mentioned you could solve for the heatsoak and move on. As far as $20k mark up - do some recon and a lot better can be done.
Best I’ve seen is around 8k mark up here in Southern California. Waiting around still.
Sponsored