• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I get what you both are saying, but people are complaining the CTR is being priced and allocated like it's a $250,000 exotic car, then at the same time they are treating it as such. It's a Honda Civic, a very special one for sure, and one that I will do my best to keep clean for a long, long time. But I'm not garaging it to be driven on sunny Saturdays like it's a Ferrari. It's not. I'm pretty OCD about things, but this is my daily. Besides my wife's car, I won't be driving anything else, and I hardly ever drive hers or she mine. I did the same with my BMWs and Porsches. Driven all year round, winters too here in New England. All my cars have almost full PPF, ceramic coating, interior fabric protection, etc. And I clean them every few days. And they look damn good years later even when driven year round around here. I'm not going to worry about my CTR getting dirty or whatever. Carpets are easily washed or replaced if need be. I have one kid, and he's learned from an early age there's no eating or drinking in my car, to be clean with his shoes, etc. So I have about 0% stress and 100% fun driving it in all conditions. I realize 45-55K or whatever most are paying for it is no joke - it really is a lot. But it's not going to fall apart if you take care of it. That's just me though, and I realize everyone is different. But just offering a different perspective.
I brought it up because I don't want to assume that people are no fu*ks given but also acknowledge I have met some straight up OCP sick people when it comes to car culture, down to losing their mind on a piece of stitching was not perfect on a 30k car from factory. I have been on both sides much like you, so I wanted to just be real that its work to keep a CTR new with red carpets if its a 365 car with kids, namely in winter.

My Mclaren F1 GTR and GMA T50 has been scratched up since I drive them in salt and snow and trying to keep my 13 kids ages 1-13 from spilling flaming hot cheetos in them, it has been challenging. When I am on my yacht commenting here I often reflect on how I should just buy 365 of these cars, one for each day of the week to spread out the wear.
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I brought it up because I don't want to assume that people are no fu*ks given but also acknowledge I have met some straight up OCP sick people when it comes to car culture, down to losing their mind on a piece of stitching was not perfect on a 30k car from factory. I have been on both sides much like you, so I wanted to just be real that its work to keep a CTR new with red carpets if its a 365 car with kids, namely in winter.

My Mclaren F1 GTR and GMA T50 has been scratched up since I drive them in salt and snow and trying to keep my 13 kids ages 1-13 from spilling flaming hot cheetos in them, it has been challenging. When I am on my yacht commenting here I often reflect on how I should just buy 365 of these cars, one for each day of the week to spread out the wear.
Please tell me you put PPF on the yacht and have the kids swim behind it so there is no mess on board.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I get what you both are saying, but people are complaining the CTR is being priced and allocated like it's a $250,000 exotic car, then at the same time they are treating it as such. It's a Honda Civic, a very special one for sure, and one that I will do my best to keep clean for a long, long time. But I'm not garaging it to be driven on sunny Saturdays like it's a Ferrari. It's not. I'm pretty OCD about things, but this is my daily. Besides my wife's car, I won't be driving anything else, and I hardly ever drive hers or she mine. I did the same with my BMWs and Porsches. Driven all year round, winters too here in New England. All my cars have almost full PPF, ceramic coating, interior fabric protection, etc. And I clean them every few days. And they look damn good years later even when driven year round around here. I'm not going to worry about my CTR getting dirty or whatever. Carpets are easily washed or replaced if need be. I have one kid, and he's learned from an early age there's no eating or drinking in my car, to be clean with his shoes, etc. So I have about 0% stress and 100% fun driving it in all conditions. I realize 45-55K or whatever most are paying for it is no joke - it really is a lot. But it's not going to fall apart if you take care of it. That's just me though, and I realize everyone is different. But just offering a different perspective.
Please tell me you put PPF on the yacht and have the kids swim behind it so there is no mess on board.
My kids don't swin they all have nannies who swim for them.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R

I'm totally with you. I used to take my Porsche 918 Spyder out in the winter, in snow, in storms, etc. on R-compound tires, and I was considered a legend for doing that. The Alcantara steering wheel on that car was soaked in grease from all the Wendy's burgers and fries I ate while driving, which greatly contributed to the sublime steering feel. People respected me then and times were good. But those same people turned on me when I told them I planned to take my new CTR with snow tires out in rain and inclement weather. They called me irresponsible and told me to get a beater for those times. They told me I was disrespectful to Honda, the engineers that worked on the car, and the entire JDM market. Eventually, they just stopped talking to me. My ex-wives wanted to remarry me just to have me go through the divorce process over again, and my kids refused to talk to me or see me. I became the laughing stock of the town, so I had to leave. I live out of my CTR now, and this is the real reason it's my daily. I had to make a choice, and I chose to stick to my values.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
This isn't too relevant to the conversation but I am really happy Honda is still making the FL5 and the Integra. I'm watching from the sidelines with my 20' FK8, but I'm happy that if I ever want another FK8/FL5/Integra in 20 years I **might** have a chance at finding one. Similar to how there are S2000's still available.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Should you get an FK8? Should you get an FL5? The answer to both is...yes.

I always see people commenting on CTR pricing: 'for that money you could get a...'
But they are missing the point. Those superficially sexy alternatives are not nearly the complete package that the CTR is.

You are simply trading off some features for some others. You are not getting an overall better car.

For me the wild child FK8 works. In pretty much every way that matters.
Some cars are a great hot date- some cars you should actually marry. The CTR is obviously the latter.

And for many, the FL5 will fill that spot in their garage very well. Here's hoping you can find one without too much markup. if not, nothing wrong with a preowned FK8.

In a few years, when everything has the same powerplant as my vacuum cleaner, these cars will continue to appreciate.

Even now, lightweight cars with a manual, great chassis, real room and storage, etc. are very, very rare. At any price.
Hot hatches rule as enthusiast dailies. And the Type R pretty much rules the hot hatches.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Should you get an FK8? Should you get an FL5? The answer to both is...yes.

I always see people commenting on CTR pricing: 'for that money you could get a...'
But they are missing the point. Those superficially sexy alternatives are not nearly the complete package that the CTR is.

You are simply trading off some features for some others. You are not getting an overall better car.

For me the wild child FK8 works. In pretty much every way that matters.
Some cars are a great hot date- some cars you should actually marry. The CTR is obviously the latter.

And for many, the FL5 will fill that spot in their garage very well. Here's hoping you can find one without too much markup. if not, nothing wrong with a preowned FK8.

In a few years, when everything has the same powerplant as my vacuum cleaner, these cars will continue to appreciate.

Even now, lightweight cars with a manual, great chassis, real room and storage, etc. are very, very rare. At any price.
Hot hatches rule as enthusiast dailies. And the Type R pretty much rules the hot hatches.
That lame talk track will never die. It keeps getting rehashed at every turn. It doesn't matter if you can get a (insert "better" car) for $XX,XXX if you don't want the alternative. Better never means better for everyone. It always means worse, for some.
Sponsored