• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on the carbon fibre wing?

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Have them redo it. They shouldn't tell you what's "clean" and what's not. They should give you options and let you decide.
This one I agree with the shop on. PPF would require a bunch of relief cuts. Mine was only done on top as well for that very reason.
Sponsored

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Can't see a need to PPF the underside? I wouldn't think UV would be a problem.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I agree with this. Why PPF the underside? UV isn’t much of a concern, nor are scratches under there. All those edges for the relief cuts are just more opportunities for the PPF to peel up and fail. I’d have them wrap around the edges and be done. Sometimes (oftentimes?) simpler is better.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
This one I agree with the shop on. PPF would require a bunch of relief cuts. Mine was only done on top as well for that very reason.
Yea probably. Compared to doing a whole car (or even just the popular front third), doing an entire wing/spoiler doesn't require too much material. I'm guessing they thought it would look "less worse" just doing the top (and rounding off the edges), rather than covering all of the surface area and risk it looking off.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I agree with this. Why PPF the underside? UV isn’t much of a concern, nor are scratches under there. All those edges for the relief cuts are just more opportunities for the PPF to peel up and fail. I’d have them wrap around the edges and be done. Sometimes (oftentimes?) simpler is better.
Right, the wing would be exposed to sunlight only from the top. It's just the psychology of it, just wanted the whole thing covered nicely after spending a lot for the CF piece lol. May be true that top coverage is safer overall, just would have been nice if the guy I usually go to explained this before working on it.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
When I purchased the car, the dealership gave me $3K in accessories. One of those was the spoiler. I do not regret the decision. I really like the red that pops out on the carbon fiber.

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg
Can you see it in the rearview mirror when in the driver's seat, or is it hidden like the regular wing?

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
Its more hidden than the regular wing.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Because it's higher? Also, did you see a drop in MPG, and if so by how much?
I've seen a few posts about this. I don't mean to be crass but, why is this so important? The carbon fiber wing is similar enough to the stock wing and it utilizes the factory wing risers. The uninitiated wouldn't even notice the difference unless it was explicitly mentioned. I don't expect nor have I noticed material impact (positive or negative) on fuel economy under normal driving conditions. I also don't think anyone cares enough to thoroughly test this.

kmkiger

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2023 Type R
It does not take away from visibility. I don't even realize that it is there when I look in the rearview mirror.
I have not been paying attention to fuel consumption but I doubt there is that much being saved.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I've seen a few posts about this. I don't mean to be crass but, why is this so important? The carbon fiber wing is similar enough to the stock wing and it utilizes the factory wing risers. The uninitiated wouldn't even notice the difference unless it was explicitly mentioned. I don't expect nor have I noticed material impact (positive or negative) on fuel economy under normal driving conditions. I also don't think anyone cares enough to thoroughly test this.
If there's more downforce and drag, there will be a decrease in fuel economy. Why is it important? I'm curious that's why. I can find 20 posts that I could ask the same question about. If you know, you can answer. If you don't, why post?

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
I switched to the CF wing as soon as I got home from the dealer, so I wouldn't know about the MPG. I'd be happy at 15-18mpg so that never crossed my mind. :rolleyes: I noticed more of a curve on the middle area of the wing. Not substantially more visibility, but you can notice the size difference from inside the cabin in my opinion. Maybe that has to do with seat position? Meh.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Oscar the grouch today.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
If there's more downforce and drag, there will be a decrease in fuel economy. Why is it important? I'm curious that's why. I can find 20 posts that I could ask the same question about. If you know, you can answer. If you don't, why post?
You're continuing to bang on about it when you already have your answer. @TypeRD reposted a video from last fall with a gentleman who appears to be the designer explaining the wing creates more downforce which in turn creates more drag. Will the carbon fiber wing decrease fuel economy? Based on the information provided and basic knowledge of aerodynamics, yes. Will it be enough to move the MPG needle during daily driving? Probably not. I doubt you will find one person on this forum who will say they noticed a material difference in fuel economy after installing the carbon fiber wing.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Clark Kant today
🤣🤣🤣 jkjk
Sponsored