• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Too many materials in the US FL5’s interior

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Not sure why, but the USDM FL5s have a clash of materials used on the inside, and it kinda bothers me a bit. The front seats are fabulous, but then you have suede on the armrests and center console, leather on the steering wheel and shift boot, and some cloth material for the backseats. The JDM and UKDM models have a matching suede for the steering wheel and shift boot, as well as for the backseats, and to me, they look nicer and more consistent. I know I can get the alcantara steering wheel in the US, but no OEM shift boot to match, and no back seat. Anyone else bothered a bit by this? I would like to have it looks cleaner, but not sure where I can get OEM parts that work.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I prefer the leather steering wheel myself. I believe you can get the Alcantara JDM shift boot you just have to swap the surround piece because it fits differently.

I also personally really like the rear seat material so far. It's held up well with my kids and if it was the same material as the front seats I fear it would get damaged too easily.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The only thing I kind of don’t like is the trim around the shifter. It looks fine, but doesn’t match anything else in the car. I’ll probably get the carbon fiber interior trim pieces if/when I can source them.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I prefer the leather steering wheel myself. I believe you can get the Alcantara JDM shift boot you just have to swap the surround piece because it fits differently.

I also personally really like the rear seat material so far. It's held up well with my kids and if it was the same material as the front seats I fear it would get damaged too easily.
That rear seat material is funny. Its comfortable, durable and looks good but also attracts anything static cling. Should come with an economy size lint roller lol.

A huge positive is I can say Ive already shampooed the floor and both front and back seats and the clean is like new. Very durable. Love it.

atlcivic

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1M
I’ve thought the same thing. Wonder if it’s possible to source the euro rear seat and if it’s a simple plug and play. I doubt it’d be cheap though.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I do like the Euro rear seat too although I wonder how it would wear - I also have a kid so it would have to have a cover anyways. I am going to add an alcantara shift boot though, the "leather" on the stock boot is gross.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I definitely agree that the rear seat looks odd/out of place in that car... and yet, as has been mentioned here, they are truly comfortable and have held up so far with my animals as well.

So, specifically for looks, i would much prefer back seats that, at least somewhat, matched the front. However, when it comes to utility and everyday use, if we are carrying passengers and animals, what we have is fine. In fact, if they looked better but we had to cover them to protect them, then we'd never see them anyway. :p

I think what we're all basically saying is that is the kind of thing that would be most appropriate if it were an option. But, i truly think honda did a great job for most of the car when deciding what was mandatory for top quality vs. where they could get away with keeping the price of the car down.

OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I'm just wondering if Honda thinks Americans eat more and make more of a mess in their cars than their European or Japanese counterparts, so they give us cloth rear seats and leather steering wheels, both of which are more durable and easier to clean. I just wished for a more cohesive look either way.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I'm just wondering if Honda thinks Americans eat more and make more of a mess in their cars than their European or Japanese counterparts, so they give us cloth rear seats and leather steering wheels, both of which are more durable and easier to clean. I just wished for a more cohesive look either way.

LOL... i would love to see those alternate rear seats if you or anyone has a photo of them. A link to a photo or video would be great.

OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
LOL... i would love to see those alternate rear seats if you or anyone has a photo of them. A link to a photo or video would be great.
Watch at 8:22

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
@urbo73 great observation and I 100% agree. The materials on the interior of the USDM FL5 are inharmonious and one of the very few things I dislike about the car. The upside to that is there is a fix. I swapped out the leather steering wheel for the OEM Alcantara wheel, stock leather shift boot for the JDM OEM Alcantara version, added the EDM(LHD) carbon fiber center console panel, and JDM OEM carbon fiber door panel parts (should arrive shortly). The worst is the center console panel in the silver/faux aluminum. It looks awful and doesn't compliment or match anything else. Anyhow, these items complete the look IMHO and now I am very pleased with the interior. This is how it should've arrived from the factory or at least the options should have been available in this market.

As for the back seats, I'm fine to leave them as is. It's clear the back seat was an after thought for Honda and a good place to manage cost. The material is different, there's no connectivity,the front seatbacks are incomplete, and the door panels do not illuminate like the front. I have no intention of addressing anything in the back. It's fine as is for me. I doubt I'll ever have anyone in the back anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
@urbo73 great observation and I 100% agree. The materials on the interior of the USDM FL5 are inharmonious and one of the very few things I dislike about the car. The upside to that is there is a fix. I swapped out the leather steering wheel for the OEM Alcantara wheel, stock leather shift boot for the JDM OEM Alcantara version, added the EDM(LHD) carbon fiber center console panel, and JDM OEM carbon fiber door panel parts (should arrive shortly). The worst is the center console panel in the silver/faux aluminum. It looks awful and doesn't compliment or match anything else. Anyhow, these items complete the look IMHO and now I am very pleased with the interior. This is how it should've arrived from the factory or at least the options should have been available in this market.

As for the back seats, I'm fine to leave them as is. It's clear the back seat was an after thought for Honda and a good place to manage cost. The material is different, there's no connectivity,the front seatbacks are incomplete, and the door panels do not illuminate like the front. I have no intention of addressing anything in the back. It's fine as is for me. I doubt I'll ever have anyone in the back anyway.
The steering wheel I can get easily, but where did you get the JDM OEM shift boot? I was searching around, and read that the JDM doesn't match the US cars for some reason, though I couldn't understand why. The center console is yeah, meh, but I do think it's the same in Japan and Europe as well.

You might be right about the back seat - it would be too costly to replace and it wouldn't matter too much anyway.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The steering wheel I can get easily, but where did you get the JDM OEM shift boot? I was searching around, and read that the JDM doesn't match the US cars for some reason, though I couldn't understand why. The center console is yeah, meh, but I do think it's the same in Japan and Europe as well.

You might be right about the back seat - it would be too costly to replace and it wouldn't matter too much anyway.
You can source the JDM OEM shift boot from several places.

Dream Automotive
JDM Yamato
Black Hawk Japan
Tegiwa (although not listed on their website, they can source it)

The part number is 83443-T60-J21ZA. Be advised the shift boot is not plug and play. You will need to make some modifications to make it work, but it was worth it to me. It looks fantastic. I posted about it with pics in the CTR Initial Mods thread.

As for the center console, the other markets have the same console - true; however, Honda offers a carbon fiber version as an accessory that looks much better IMHO. In combination with the other pieces it really elevates the interior in a noticeable yet OEM way.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Not sure why, but the USDM FL5s have a clash of materials used on the inside, and it kinda bothers me a bit. The front seats are fabulous, but then you have suede on the armrests and center console, leather on the steering wheel and shift boot, and some cloth material for the backseats. The JDM and UKDM models have a matching suede for the steering wheel and shift boot, as well as for the backseats, and to me, they look nicer and more consistent. I know I can get the alcantara steering wheel in the US, but no OEM shift boot to match, and no back seat. Anyone else bothered a bit by this? I would like to have it looks cleaner, but not sure where I can get OEM parts that work.
I agree with you.

It does bother me... I think the rear seats look Corolla level cheap. Lately I've had the back seat down with a blanket... But then Bernie can't buckle up.