• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R at VIR/ brake pad suggestions.

Ic@ns33urhrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car
Last Thursday went to a track day at VIR. My Type R is completely stock, and I am just a novice level driver. Car performed great. 127 mph on back straight, hugged the curves. Oil temps were good, outside temp was only about 78, no overheating issues. On the last 30 min session I did have the brake system light come on. Brakes did not feel bad but pulled in to be on the safe side. Going to be flushing brake fluid to replace with castrol srf. I would like to ask the group for brake pad suggestions? A street/track pad that does not break the bank account. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
“The brake system warning light was on the entire press event where honda was at Sonoma. We asked chief enginer said it was just a warning that you may have fade soon. Other brands have said brake system warning lights are algorithmic it looks at brake cycles, gforce, velocity, temp and approximates fade to warn driver. Obviously that all changes when you change pads, tires and is no longer meaningful.”

This is from savagegeese’s media launch thread where I asked about the brake system warning light. Seems like the light isn’t much to worry about.
I’m no help on pad suggestion. I tried a set of Performance Friction and they shook so bad that I went back to OEM. Haven’t decided which pads to try next yet.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I’m no brake pad expert, but it looks like Carbotech makes great brake pads. Stoptech is also another name that comes to mind.

OP
OP

Ic@ns33urhrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car
“The brake system warning light was on the entire press event where honda was at Sonoma. We asked chief enginer said it was just a warning that you may have fade soon. Other brands have said brake system warning lights are algorithmic it looks at brake cycles, gforce, velocity, temp and approximates fade to warn driver. Obviously that all changes when you change pads, tires and is no longer meaningful.”

This is from savagegeese’s media launch thread where I asked about the brake system warning light. Seems like the light isn’t much to worry about.
I’m no help on pad suggestion. I tried a set of Performance Friction and the shook so bad that I went back to OEM. Haven’t decided which pads to try next yet.
Thanks for the reply on the brake light.. As I was driving there did not appear to be much brake fade. I may stick with the oem pad as they seemed to perform well.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR
I’m no brake pad expert, but it looks like Carbotech makes great brake pads. Stoptech is also another name that comes to mind.
I switched from DTC60s to Carbotech XP12s on my last car and I hated the carbotechs. Terrible initial bite and just overall low confidence in the braking on track.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I switched from DTC60s to Carbotech XP12s on my last car and I hated the carbotechs. Terrible initial bite and just overall low confidence in the braking on track.
Yeah, I think I recall from another thread, someone using Hawk (maybe DTC60?) pads for AutoX.

You might also consider Callahan brake pads out of Sandusky, OH. Call and ask for Tommy.🤣

Last edited:

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
I used to race an ITR in a Honda series and VIR is my home (and favorite) track. The sole modification I’ve always recommended to new track drivers (I feel it’s a necessity, actually), is changing brake fluid and pads prior to any track event. OEM pads/fluid simply can’t handle the temps generated during sessions of decent duration. VIR has some long straights and those brake zones can heat things up quickly!

Carbotech does make excellent pads, as they were actually a sponsor of mine back in the day. I would recommend them as well, but truthfully not the XP12 as you mention that you’re planning to use them for the street as well.

One thing I will say that proper bedding is required, especially with XP12s.

Best of luck!

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Last Thursday went to a track day at VIR. My Type R is completely stock, and I am just a novice level driver. Car performed great. 127 mph on back straight, hugged the curves. Oil temps were good, outside temp was only about 78, no overheating issues. On the last 30 min session I did have the brake system light come on. Brakes did not feel bad but pulled in to be on the safe side. Going to be flushing brake fluid to replace with castrol srf. I would like to ask the group for brake pad suggestions? A street/track pad that does not break the bank account. Thanks in advance.
I consider VIR to be my home track. I'd highly recommend Ferodo 3.12 pads. They're absolutely fantastic. They last a while, the initial bite is great, and the modulation is active and predictable.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

Paragon R5 front with Paragon titanium shims
Paragon P3 rear

Very happy with the setup
Fantastic apex speed! Very inspiring to see what the FL5 can do! I like your line through turn 4!

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Endless ME20/ME22, Project Mu HC+ and HC-CS are all proven track day (non-competition) pads.
Motul RBF700 or Endless RF650 also proven fluid's that work well.

I'm currently still on stock pads with Motul RBF600 and had some mild fade but they hold up suprisingly well on the tracks I've been on.

First Name
E - Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Type R - BB / 2016 Yamaha BOLT bike

Paragon R5 front with Paragon titanium shims
Paragon P3 rear

Very happy with the setup
made me NERVOUS just watching your TRACK Video ... ha, ha
Until getting use to it - i would not KNOW at what speeds to approach TRACK Corners
- i have a TRACK 1 hour south of me, i have been pondering to give it a GO
Sponsored