• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are the chances of honda eventually using gearbox Auto Transmissions in next gen civics?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E, 2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S
Nissan has had more CVT's for a longer period of time than anyone - even in the Maxima and Pathfinder with the 3.5L V6 - the latter of which has a higher towing capacity than any Honda.

A geared automatic is more fun to drive than a CVT. Don't need any reason beyond that to want an alternative to the CVT.
Oh yeah? Have you driven a Tesla Model S P100D? It doesn't shift at all and I guarantee it'll make you giggle like a little school girl on your first date.
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Nissan has had more CVT's for a longer period of time than anyone - even in the Maxima and Pathfinder with the 3.5L V6 - the latter of which has a higher towing capacity than any Honda.

Oh yeah? Have you driven a Tesla Model S P100D? It doesn't shift at all and I guarantee it'll make you giggle like a little school girl on your first date.
Only reason the Tesla is fun is because it has instant delivery of torque from the get go, it has nothing to do with the transmission and more that it is an electric vehicle. If you are talking about ordinary gas engines, an automatic will almost always be more fun and satisfying vs. a CVT. A CVT is good for economy cars and I love it on my Civic but if someone is looking just solely for "fun" it really does suck the life out of driving.

thatonedaveguy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' CW Civic Type R #18788
Maybe once or twice simply due to how quickly it accelerates(and then goes into limp mode). It is a nice gimmick. The day to day doldrums of no engine noise and no shifting would put most car lovers asleep regardless of it being quick in a straight line. There is certainly no shortage of critics who call the P100D boring.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
YOu can only appreciate an electric vehicle if you ever desired to have one or you owned one, I have. Also, it is pointless to preach it to a someone that thrives for a loud exhaust, tuning, getting greasy, spending thousands on aftermarket parts, I also have/had, but my ambitions are much tamer now. I prefer the quietness, less jerky, low-stress driving. If I could avoid gas stations altogether I would. Maybe in few years.
Each to their own...The type of transmission one prefers is a highly personal choice, some will evolve, some will never change.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
The day to day doldrums of no engine noise and no shifting ....
For a long time in the past people couldn’t get used to no horse tails in front of them and no picking up the droppings... but the worst was the constant engine noise...

Last edited:

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
For a long time in the past people couldn’t get used to no horse tails on front of them and no picking up the droppings... but the worst was the constant engine noise...
:lol:
Now this here ...IS priceless :)

Some people think the Civic's CVT is synonymous with weak. It is not. It is well matched with its intended power output of 2.0NA or 1.5T engine. It will become weak when we start messing with that crankshaft output.
Kind of the same when an adult squeezes its fat ass into a kids playground swing set, it collapses... weak. :dunno:

Last edited:

thatonedaveguy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' CW Civic Type R #18788
For a long time in the past people couldn’t get used to no horse tails on front of them and no picking up the droppings... but the worst was the constant engine noise...
:lol:
Now this here ...IS priceless :)

Some people think the Civic's CVT is synonymous with weak. It is not. It is well matched with its intended power output of 2.0NA or 1.5T engine. It will become weak when we start messing with that crankshaft output.
Kind of the same when an adult squeezes its fat ass into a kids playground swing set, it collapses... weak. :dunno:
I would agree that weak isn't the right term for CVT. CVTs do an excellent job at what they are designed to do. My argument is all about driver engagement. Stick is more fun than dual clutch which is more fun than a geared automatic which is more fun than a cvt which is more fun than a self driving car. Self driving car enthusiasts will sooner or later be calling people who like to drive at all old fashioned. Why would anyone want to drive a car?

Last edited:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Gains are pathetic when factoring how much better the manuals can put down the power.

Toyota's hybrid solution (found in 2019 Corolla) is a great way to close the gap. But, adding direct gearing (to a cvt transmission) isn't necessary if potential customers are more focused on efficiency and consumption.

If I was Honda, I'd kick off the year with a big invite to the auto journalist, cause when the competition does it, they're totally going to leave out the manual civic.
You have to get to the right engine rpm and right gear ratio to put down the power. It is easier in straight line. it is different story on a road with corners, now mix in the rpm drop in between shifting gear (or heel and toe).

I have nothing against manual as I daily one for 3 years and a stick is way more involving. I am sharing that the CVT has its trick up its sleeves too. Or, test drive a HB sport CVT in auto sport mode ;)

Last edited:

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
A geared automatic is more fun to drive than a CVT. Don't need any reason beyond that to want an alternative to the CVT.
the new 8 and 10 speed auto gearboxes that are going in everything for fuel savings are just as not fun as a cvt.... What's the difference between a mushy automatic torque converter gear shift and a simulated cvt fake shift? they both feel kind of the same.

I can understand the argued since civilization began manual v auto argument, but auto v cvt? they are so similar.

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
I used to own nothing but cars with MTs cuz they were more “engaging” and fun to drive. But a curious thing happened along the way - driving ceased being fun at all anymore. Too many nitwits out on the roadways 24/7, so I’m perfectly fine these days with my CVT. Just get me from here to there as safely and efficiently as possible, and I’m good thanks

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
the ultimate CVT will be the electric self-driving car. It's coming. No driver involvement at all!!! Just sit there and play on your smartphone. Just think how risk free and safe that will be. And how economical! Top speed will be 70 mph, limited for insurance reasons. 0 to 60 in 12 seconds. 20 second quarter mile.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
the ultimate CVT will be the electric self-driving car. It's coming. No driver involvement at all!!! Just sit there and play on your smartphone. Just think how risk free and safe that will be. And how economical! Top speed will be 70 mph, limited for insurance reasons. 0 to 60 in 12 seconds. 20 second quarter mile.
Can't tell if you are being serious or not with the smartphone thing lol. I will say that I hear people say that all the time and I don't buy it for a second. I know there have been tons of tests with self driving cars in real world cities and environments, but the actual truth is they are nowhere near ready for being transportation for the masses on any road. In fact, the technology behind driverless cars is still deeply flawed.

Driver-less cars are great when situations stick to the limited algorithms they are programmed with, but the moment it changes to something beyond that then its over. Self driving vehicles will constantly encounter new situations on the road that they have not been trained to do yet, and the technology that lets the cars adapt to these situations is not perfected yet. I say that it is definitely in our future, but they won't actually be ready for the general public to use everywhere for a while.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
With so damn many cars out on the roadways these days seemingly being piloted by the village idiot, driverless automobiles can’t come soon enough for my liking. Honestly, obtaining (and maintaining) a driver’s license should be a lot harder than it currently is.

And people who for some reason just can’t turn their highbeams off no matter how many times others flash theirs at them should be executed - or forced to live in Detroit.
Sponsored