• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are the chances of honda eventually using gearbox Auto Transmissions in next gen civics?

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Not as huge a fan of the cvt, but not sure I wanna go full manual as I drive to work at like 5:30 in the morning and usually half-sleep there. Totally want a gearbox; but the 10th gen civics I've 100% fallen in love with in terms of aesthetics. Can't switch to another vehicle, too bubbly in all others' designs.

Thoughts on whether or not they'll give us a 6/8/10 speed auto?
Sponsored

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Don't want a CVT, don't buy one! Just get an Accord with an auto, or an Acura (if you want to stay within the Honda family). There's plenty of options out there thankfully

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
As i see it, only chance to get an stepped auto from honda going forward will potentially be higher performance models (i.e. 2.oT accord) possibly an option in the next gen civic Si or possible special GT addition of the CTR. The regular model range will stick with the CVT for fuel economy reasons.

As someone else noted, Acura is slowly getting better (come on next gen TLX and ILX, don't disappoint).

Honda makes one of the best CVTs around, i was hesitant about it too when they went from the old 5 speed auto to the cvt on the 9th gens. Other than the initial launch lag the CVT is a great transmission and pairs very well with the 1.5T civics because it can keep it in the optimal range for torque while driving without the small power losses between shifting.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
The CVT is oily smooth and give you the best fuel economy. Why would you want a jerky slush box that hunts up and down on hills?
Let me ask...without being "dickish" as you said, why would you want a geared autotrans/slushbox?
The only reason to go with gears 1) you want to be in control of shifting and/or clutching it... M.T, or 2) putting extra strain on the drive train... as in dealing with pulling something (load) or want to tune the engine (lets call it over stress) to demand more power from it, more than the manufacturer originally designed the system for.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
9 or 10 will make it eventually to all Honda's
Doubt it. On sub 200 HP applications the CVT gets better fuel economy and gives no reason for Honda to switch over to a generic automatic. Auto will likely only be used on 200+ HP power outputs for their cars.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #4114 | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
My vote is on no chance as CVT is great for fuel economy. I know CVT has a lame duck rep but it is actually a very clever design and it was banned in F1 as soon as one team tested it.

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-ingenious-f1-cheats-ever-1465111260
That's a rather cherry picked example without context, don't you think? The transmission in that F1 car has little in common with what we see in roadcars. That's like saying because a car has paddle shifting, its basically the same as a sequential transmission in a purpose built touring or rally car.

CVTs as the consumer market knows them are unfortunately designed/tuned for economy, too much extra power and you can start seeing reliability issues. As long as Honda sells budget oriented cars I don't think they'll let go of CVTs entirely. Not after spending so many resources pushing for their development and specially as more electric-only models continue to hit the market.

Like some have mentioned, if you'd like another type of transmission you'd have to step up to a higher output engine or model.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
9 or 10 will make it eventually to all Honda's
The Diesels have it...

fb_img_1533021510772-jpg.jpg
Doubt. Expensive and heavy. That's a premium feature. There is no going back from the CVT in North America. The diesels probably have it because of the extra torque demand. 1.5 petrol engine puts out about 160 lb-ft of torque at 2000 RPM while the 1.6 diesel is up around 220 lb-ft.

As i see it, only chance to get an stepped auto from honda going forward will potentially be higher performance models (i.e. 2.oT accord) possibly an option in the next gen civic Si or possible special GT addition of the CTR. The regular model range will stick with the CVT for fuel economy reasons.
I think the Si has always been a manual-only option, I'd be surprised to see an auto Si in the next generation but who knows.

Last edited:

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Not as huge a fan of the cvt, but not sure I wanna go full manual as I drive to work at like 5:30 in the morning and usually half-sleep there. Totally want a gearbox; but the 10th gen civics I've 100% fallen in love with in terms of aesthetics. Can't switch to another vehicle, too bubbly in all others' designs.

The probability of Honda moving away from a CVT on Civics is somewhere between little and none. CVT is less expensive to build and maintain and improves MPG

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan

Also, if you get the Ktuner device and reprogram the ECU, all of the (for me) annoying aspects of the Turbo/CVT combo diminish; improved turbo spool, minimal turbo lag, broad power band. No issues from me.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I think the Si has always been a manual-only option, I'd be surprised to see an auto Si in the next generation but who knows.
True, but the Si has always been Naturally Aspirated until now. Honda spent years defending the lower power output of its NA engines over turbo charged competition (GTI), and now we have a turbo Si... it wouldn't be all that shocking (especially with the introduction of the CTR to the North American market) that they could potentially offer an auto option on a future Si, even if they didn't call it an Si but it still had the same features/performance upgrades (such as an S or GT style trim).

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
That's a rather cherry picked example without context, don't you think? The transmission in that F1 car has little in common with what we see in roadcars. That's like saying because a car has paddle shifting, its basically the same as a sequential transmission in a purpose built touring or rally car.

CVTs as the consumer market knows them are unfortunately designed/tuned for economy, too much extra power and you can start seeing reliability issues. As long as Honda sells budget oriented cars I don't think they'll let go of CVTs entirely. Not after spending so many resources pushing for their development and specially as more electric-only models continue to hit the market.

Like some have mentioned, if you'd like another type of transmission you'd have to step up to a higher output engine or model.
Far from cherry picking, it is down to basic design. having a million different gear ratio is something you can never be done in a fix gear transmission.

or you can keep adding extra gear like what they are doing right now. Or we can get the job done better with 2 drums and a belt :dunno: My guess is they will need a new belt every race but it is fine on F1 budget.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Honda definitely sees the future in the CVT (and I fully agree). Unfortunately, currently they don't have a CVT appropriate for cars with a sufficient torque handling capacity. So in some european countries they offer only MT or CVT for the 1.0T and 1.5T gas engines and only MT or 10AT for the 1.6L diesel. They don't offer gas engine civicxs with the 10AT although of course they could.
The diesel has significantly less max power than the 1.5T, but also significantly more max torque, which apparently exceeds the safe limit for the CVT.
So, if someone somehow managed to bolt on various pipes to her CVT-equipped car, fueled it with rocket fuel and tuned its 1.5T to make nearly 220 ftlb torque, she should be concerned.:confused1:

thatonedaveguy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' CW Civic Type R #18788
The CVT is oily smooth and give you the best fuel economy. Why would you want a jerky slush box that hunts up and down on hills?
Let me ask...without being "dickish" as you said, why would you want a geared autotrans/slushbox?
The only reason to go with gears 1) you want to be in control of shifting and/or clutching it... M.T, or 2) putting extra strain on the drive train... as in dealing with pulling something (load) or want to tune the engine (lets call it over stress) to demand more power from it, more than the manufacturer originally designed the system for.
A geared automatic is more fun to drive than a CVT. Don't need any reason beyond that to want an alternative to the CVT.
Sponsored