• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2022 VW Golf R vs 2022 Honda Type R

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I'm definitely not 100% on the styling of the new Golf... but from a price perspective... the new GTI seems like a tempting $30k offering vesus the Sport Touring Hatch.

Depending on other feature packaging, if it was between the Type R and Golf R... I'd probably still go with the Type R... mostly from a styling and reliability perspective.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
I'd go with the Golf R versus "upgrading" to the 11th Gen R, as it stands now. I mentioned it in another thread, but the new Golf R is a huge improvement over the last gen. By contrast, the new Type R is shaping up to be almost identical to the current one. And even if more power is in the cards, I feel like FWD as a platform is already being stretched to the limit with the current gen.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Type R, as the price will remain around 40K. But for 45K, I'd rather get a leftover 2021 LE.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Type R. I just don't find GTIs that much fun to drive, even compared to an Si, much less a Type R. I actually test drove GTIs and bought a 6mT Sport hatch. In the GTI I felt like I was sitting up a foot higher, and the stick shift sucked. Enjoyed the Sport hatch more.

Now that the Civic interior has much improved I think the VWs have less of an advantage. Especially the GTI, in which if you want leather, upgraded stereo or adjustable suspension, you have to buy the $39k Autobahn. Yikes.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Honda ranks #5 in reliability. VW ranks #24. Since 40k is a huge investment, I'm going Type R all day, at least in this hypothetical scenario.

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N
Honda ranks #5 in reliability. VW ranks #24. Since 40k is a huge investment, I'm going Type R all day, at least in this hypothetical scenario.
I’d agree with this, pretty much how I see it. Long term reliability is still important to me for a car that costs this much and has such a high resale value. Despite the problems recently with Hondas, they are ultimately much more reliable than VW still.

Plus parts aren’t nearly as expensive to replace, I have no idea why VW parts are so expensive. This is ultimately also the reason I’m going with a CTR, though I do like the Golf R as well. I test drove a manual golf 2 years ago, and there were so many issues even with the test car (I know it’s not ultimately representative necessarily, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Rear passenger window didn’t work, dead passenger side speaker, and when getting on the highway, it pulled ITSELF out of gear while I was accelerating and not even touching the gear stick. “Warranty will replace it, don’t worrry, not a big deal” the sales guy says. What about after the warranty is up?

Same thing in the end for the Veloster/Elantra N. Hyundai have great designs and tons of technology, but it feels like every car they’ve released in the last 20 years has had SERIOUS recalls. All of the engine fires, self-destroying block heads, suspension parts that are defective. I’m pretty sure there was one recall about brakes not working as well? Anecdotally, I’ve know 4 people with Hyundai’s that have had major major problems within 10 years. New engines in Elantras before 100k kms, cracked frames, gearbox failures, suspension failures, Accents going through transmissions like nothing.

Honda hasn’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re still much closer to the top of reliability long term IMO. Even with the oil dilution in the 1.5Ts.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I’d agree with this, pretty much how I see it. Long term reliability is still important to me for a car that costs this much and has such a high resale value. Despite the problems recently with Hondas, they are ultimately much more reliable than VW still.

Plus parts aren’t nearly as expensive to replace, I have no idea why VW parts are so expensive. This is ultimately also the reason I’m going with a CTR, though I do like the Golf R as well. I test drove a manual golf 2 years ago, and there were so many issues even with the test car (I know it’s not ultimately representative necessarily, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Rear passenger window didn’t work, dead passenger side speaker, and when getting on the highway, it pulled ITSELF out of gear while I was accelerating and not even touching the gear stick. “Warranty will replace it, don’t worrry, not a big deal” the sales guy says. What about after the warranty is up?

Same thing in the end for the Veloster/Elantra N. Hyundai have great designs and tons of technology, but it feels like every car they’ve released in the last 20 years has had SERIOUS recalls. All of the engine fires, self-destroying block heads, suspension parts that are defective. I’m pretty sure there was one recall about brakes not working as well? Anecdotally, I’ve know 4 people with Hyundai’s that have had major major problems within 10 years. New engines in Elantras before 100k kms, cracked frames, gearbox failures, suspension failures, Accents going through transmissions like nothing.

Honda hasn’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re still much closer to the top of reliability long term IMO. Even with the oil dilution in the 1.5Ts.
Honda at least seems to fix their issues. My 2020 Si has none of the issues my 2017 hatch had.

My buddy traded his 90s GTI cause he got tired of the rear windows leaking water and puddling on the floor. Guess what his brand new 15 years newer GTI did??

GTIs are pretty reliable but I hear complaints about issues they can’t seem to fix.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
I had a Mk7 2016 GTI.
Loved leasing it. Excellent driving car.
Everything about long-term ownership concerns is correct. Mine needed the sunroof assembly fixed several times then replaced entirely, and the DSG developed a failed internal bearing at 20K miles. I turned it in on lease end and bought a Q60, which I've owned about the same amount of time now, and huh....never had one issue. So, Japanese always over German for reliability in my mind.

My thoughts on Mk8 in general: The interior went off the deep end. Plastic everywhere, reviewers have noted that surfaces that were soft in the Mk7 are now hard plastic in the Mk8's. When I had my 2016 GTI, everything was lighted, and in 2017 they removed some of the backlit stuff including the overhead panel, to cheapen the car. But it did feel like a "steal" at the price I paid for it, was like a mid-level Audi.
The touch interfaces in the Mk8 look miserable.
The exterior is weird, it's obviously a re-squished MQB car... it does not look better than the Mk7's, especially the 2015-2016 Mk7's before they blistered the front bumper. VW used to have a great sense of conservative style, now they seem to be adding googley-shaped elements to the old 2 box design. Just weird.
The Mk8 GolfR performance will likely surpass the CTR by a solid amount. The Mk8 GTI has been lauded as being significantly better than the Mk7 for driving dynamics, and one reviewer even brought up that the new GTI fits right between the CTR and Si in driving feel. Expect the Mk8 R to give the XI CTR a good run for it's money in handling dynamics, and a butt-whooping in drag races.

The XI CTR will build on the best handling/performing FWD car of all time, and will likely take it to "11". I suspect that the CTR will be very good looking on the XI hatchback platform. Likely the best looking Civic of the last 2 generations. The last CTR was polarizing, the new XI Civic is very plain compared to the X Civic, I think the XI CTR will be the "perfect" look.

I would own a XI CTR many times over than consider a Mk8 R. Even though I love AWD, I feel the Honda will age better, figuratively, economically and literally.
Get ready for more ruthless ADM on the XI CTR!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Get ready for more ruthless ADM on the XI CTR!
This. Ya know when plain EX-L Odysseys are being marked up 2k-5k, the CTR markup will be a nightmare.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Old thread, but here is my take after years of driving both the SI and Type R:

Having test driven most of the alternatives to the Type R or SI out there - new or used, different years, I am good with what is in my garage.

Every car has some things that it does better, or a certain character you may or may not relate to.

Overall, Honda makes a car that you can enjoy right away - but good enough that it will take time - and more skill than most non-professionals have- to get the last bit out of it.

To be sure, the learning curve on the Type R was steeper than on the SI, as you would expect.
Longer car, less ground clearance, large turning circle, more power, higher limits, etc.

But the longer I own it the more I like driving it. What else can you ask for?

Eventually you become one with your car. Might as well choose the right dance partner.
Light good, heavy bad. So unless you need AWD where you live...a shar FWD car makes sense.

Oh, and that Honda's are reliable statement? True from my experience - and everyone else I know who has owned one.
Never had any oil dilution issues with my SI.
No issues with the Type R.

It held four adults, all their luggage, and still pulled a right turn slick enough to elicit cries of 'do it again!' from my cousins. What more could you ask?

Haldex? We don't need no stinkin' Haldex! Or Torsen, or...etc.

The front LSD on the CTR and SI work just fine.

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
If I didn't already have a Mk7 GTI, I'd buy the Golf R... at least I think I would. I haven't checked out the capacitive dash buttons yet and don't think I would be too crazy about menu diving while I'm trying to drive. Still the GTI/R has a better quality interior, quieter ride, and I like the looks of the rear hatch and the smaller size, tighter turning circle than the type R. 0-60 with the R is smokin fast too as is the 1/4 mile (if you get the DSG). I've heard complaints about the shifter, so maybe they jacked it up since the Mk7 versions? ... my GTi's is perfect though and I like the higher gearing in the Vdub. The Civic's 1st gear is pretty much on the useless side for city driving. I sort of like the exclusiveness of the type R though...

The big question is; which car will you have to wrench on the most after sayy 100K miles? I'm betting on the Vdub. It's a tough one for me but I'd probably flip a coin and just go with it.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
I felt tempted to pick up a Golf R to compliment the CTR in the recent past, but something about it didn't excite me enough to take the plunge.

katch922

First Name
Raf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR
If you decide golf r, just make sure you do not get the manual. It’s a fun car to drive, def gives you the confidence to through it around corners. I love the CTR, but as far as city driving goes, golf r makes more sense.
That being said, golf r and type r shouldn’t be same year same price, there is no way that golf r will hold value as well as the type r.
Sponsored