• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Anybody have experience with the ZF8 auto in the new Supra? Wife loves the 3.0, but isn't a manual fan... Beginning to question how bad I want the R if Im going to be within striking distance of the 3.0 Supra price-wise (a car with a MUCH higher tuning ceiling). I know RoidRage and several others have BMW experience.
I know what you mean. Warning, its a bit of a story:

I've been thirsting over the Supra since 2017. Was on the forums for 5 years, met all these people, followed everything, sold my BRZ to make space for it and kind of positioned myself to be able to purchase one within 2 years of release. I drove it for the first time last year. It was amazing, but a part of me was like "umm, that's it?"

Great car, but didn't feel raw or connected. Atleast not how I imagined a Toyota sports car to be. I felt I would be bored of it after a month of driving to work. I was quite bummed cause I was waiting for this thing for 6 years!

I test drove a FK8 a few weeks later not expecting anything. Instantly, loved it. It was precise, raw, connected, and overall felt special. Whatever I expected the Supra to be as actually a FWD civic Type R lol. What a surprise. So now I'm here.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I know what you mean. Warning, its a bit of a story:

I've been thirsting over the Supra since 2017. Was on the forums for 5 years, met all these people, followed everything, sold my BRZ to make space for it and kind of positioned myself to be able to purchase one within 2 years of release. I drove it for the first time last year. It was amazing, but a part of me was like "umm, that's it?"

Great car, but didn't feel raw or connected. Atleast not how I imagined a Toyota sports car to be. I felt I would be bored of it after a month of driving to work. I was quite bummed cause I was waiting for this thing for 6 years!

I test drove a FK8 a few weeks later not expecting anything. Instantly, loved it. It was precise, raw, connected, and overall felt special. Whatever I expected the Supra to be as actually a FWD civic Type R lol. What a surprise. So now I'm here.
Well it's a BMW, and they're very disconnected these days. Lost all interest in new BMWs. How does the BRZ compare?

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Well it's a BMW, and they're very disconnected these days. Lost all interest in new BMWs. How does the BRZ compare?
100% agree. Funny, I drove an E36 sedan for a stunt course this weekend. What a machine! So sad how BMW has come down to whatever they are now.

I had a 2013 BRZ, the newer ones are a little more refined. The BRZ was raw, had a great seating position (you are low in the car), RWD was fun to slide around and felt aggressive and edgy. The interior was very basic almost like a 90s car. It made all the right noises and was just a blast to drive.

The Type R has a very similar raw, edgy feel but with a way better transmission. The BRZ tranny was a love/hate relationship. Amazing at speed but annoying when commuting. Clutch was vague. The motor felt like a tractor sometimes. I felt the R was an upgrade to what I liked with the BRZ minus the 2 door, low seating position.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Anybody have experience with the ZF8 auto in the new Supra? Wife loves the 3.0, but isn't a manual fan... Beginning to question how bad I want the R if Im going to be within striking distance of the 3.0 Supra price-wise (a car with a MUCH higher tuning ceiling). I know RoidRage and several others have BMW experience.
THE ZF8 Speed auto is hand down the BEST standard auto money can buy. The autos found in Ford/GM for their performance vehicles are also quite good (but have had some issues).

If I were buying a car with an auto it would HAVE to be a similar speed, and performance feel,s and have the "brains" of a DCT or ZF8.

Some criticism of the ZF8 is that is it TOO smooth, where the shifts don't have the kickback some drivers like to "feel" as part of the whole "connected" or "engaging" dynamics.

I for one have had0 issues with the ZF cars I have owned. Reliability and performance have been top tier.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Back up plan is a good way to put it…

Type R makes my blood boil. So anything other than FL5 would be just downgrades for me (type s, m3 or supra). No matter what car it is.

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
100% agree. Funny, I drove an E36 sedan for a stunt course this weekend. What a machine! So sad how BMW has come down to whatever they are now.

I had a 2013 BRZ, the newer ones are a little more refined. The BRZ was raw, had a great seating position (you are low in the car), RWD was fun to slide around and felt aggressive and edgy. The interior was very basic almost like a 90s car. It made all the right noises and was just a blast to drive.

The Type R has a very similar raw, edgy feel but with a way better transmission. The BRZ tranny was a love/hate relationship. Amazing at speed but annoying when commuting. Clutch was vague. The motor felt like a tractor sometimes. I felt the R was an upgrade to what I liked with the BRZ minus the 2 door, low seating position.
The e36 are a hidden gem, most of them are in a state of neglect but will likely go the same route as 964 or 993.

Where did you do the stunt course, can you share details sounds incredible!

Carmeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Acura Rdx A-Spec/Adv
I owned a Supra for a couple of months and the transmission was amazing. Gave all the thrills of a manual car without the third pedal. My only gripe was that it was pretty serious on downshifts while in auto/normal mode. Trying to come to a complete stop smoothly was a bit of a challenge when cruising since it would drop gears whole slowing down.

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
If the fanfare of CTR is anything to go by, Honda might have a winner with the Integra type S. If it’s anything remotely as good.

Also it seems like it will be one of the basic alternatives for CTR so will have similar scarcity (supply chain, parts, volumes) if only slightly better.

Just in case, today I called and got the #1 rank in top 5 canadian Acura dealers. Thanks to @RoidRage for the idea

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
If the fanfare of CTR is anything to go by, Honda might have a winner with the Integra type S. If it’s anything remotely as good.

Also it seems like it will be one of the basic alternatives for CTR so will have similar scarcity (supply chain, parts, volumes) if only slightly better.

Just in case, today I called and got the #1 rank in top 5 canadian Acura dealers. Thanks to @RoidRage for the idea
Haha good Job, if you don't mind me asking which dealership did you go with?

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
The e36 are a hidden gem, most of them are in a state of neglect but will likely go the same route as 964 or 993.

Where did you do the stunt course, can you share details sounds incredible!
It's called wings and slicks. They operate all over but with the one I went to they were in Brampton. The company was featured on one of the Straight Pipes episodes. It was amazing. Learnt how to drift, J turn, reverse 180 and then did a mini drift course. Very cool experience. Check it out.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Man, I found a 2020 M2C 6spd with 8,200mi and I’ve got them down to under $60,000. Not exactly a deal, but pretty good, given the market. It kind of just fell in my lap, and I’m almost willing to bite. It’s a beautiful car, but then I hear all these previous M2 and BMW owners talk it down, not sure what to think.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Man, I found a 2020 M2C 6spd with 8,200mi and I’ve got them down to under $60,000. Not exactly a deal, but pretty good, given the market. It kind of just fell in my lap, and I’m almost willing to bite. It’s a beautiful car, but then I hear all these previous M2 and BMW owners talk it down, not sure what to think.
That's a pretty good price!

The M2C is a great car, don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Many just don't like how refined euros are, and dislike the lack of NVH, which masks the speed of the car. Many here prefer going slow in a BRZ vs. Quickly in a M2C because of the "sensations" that come with lessor refinement or "raw" session.

It's one of Thomas's (throttlehouse) fav cars for a reason. And coming from a track instructor and respected automotive journalist means something (atleast to me).

My back back back backup cars are the M2C and RS3 lol. But I won't commit to those until I know I'm out for the R, GRC and now S

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
That's a pretty good price!

The M2C is a great car, don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Many just don't like how refined euros are, and dislike the lack of NVH, which masks the speed of the car. Many here prefer going slow in a BRZ vs. Quickly in a M2C because of the "sensations" that come with lessor refinement or "raw" session.

It's one of Thomas's (throttlehouse) fav cars for a reason. And coming from a track instructor and respected automotive journalist means something (atleast to me).

My back back back backup cars are the M2C and RS3 lol. But I won't commit to those until I know I'm out for the R, GRC and now S
As much as I like the M2C, I just don’t think I want to pull the trigger on it, over the Type R.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
As much as I like the M2C, I just don’t think I want to pull the trigger on it, over the Type R.
Agreed, until I know I'm not getting a FL5 I wouldn't. Especially since the used car market is about to get its cheeks clapped lol.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
closest you’re going to get to classic BMWs, so don’t sweat it. Besides M2 CS lol.
Sponsored