• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

East Coast FL5 Delivery Estimates/Confirmations

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
How is partial PPF a waste of money? If you’re talking about protecting high impact areas like the entire front end, how would that be a waste?
Its not. I got partial PPF done on my GT350 and theres only 1 rock chip and its very small and its like 1 inch away from the area where the coverage ends. I can promise you that the front end wouldn't look the same if I did.

Its only a waste to the installers pocket 😂
Sponsored

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
Couple additional studio picture for now...
he'll send me some more macro lens shots from his studio, and I'll upload so you'all can send see the before and after. Jason is a very talented detailer...I even feel bad calling him a "detailer"...

he won't be the cheapest, but he is really good! No Doubt! :)
check out his portfolio guys!

https://carzwerk.com/

11th Gen Honda Civic East Coast FL5 Delivery Estimates/Confirmations studio

11th Gen Honda Civic East Coast FL5 Delivery Estimates/Confirmations studio1

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
How is partial PPF a waste of money? If you’re talking about protecting high impact areas like the entire front end, how would that be a waste?
I really got tired of the noticeable seam lines from wax, dirt and clay bar build up that was very evident after detailing my vehicle.

Since I do a lot of high speed highway driving on Interstate Highways my partial PPF was great for the areas that were protected but there were always some unprotected areas that always seemed to get hit and they stuck out like a sore thumb therefore really looked out of place.

Also, after closely examining my partial PPF and others that had also done a partial PPF, I noticed that some edges started to lift and they also had the same complaint.

In addition the yellowing of PPF from UV rays certainly was noticeable on my vehicle and also on other vehicles that I have looked at closely as well therefore did not like the difference in color, gloss and finish where the PPF left off and where the non protected paint started.

I have discussed the pros and cons of numerous installers in my area along with my concerns and they all agree that a partial PPF is not something that they endorse and it was not about the money but more about the final result over time.

If you and others are comfortable with a partial PPF I respect your decisions therefore fill your boots, but for me it was a waste of time and money and would never go down that road again.

Last edited:

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Some in my SCCA region PPF areas common for cone strikes and it has worked well. I'm thinking of doing that myself as well for autocross situations. I figure the ceramic coating will help with any tire debris from the track. Marks will be inevitable with my use, but I can hopefully hold off a lot of them for a while.
A ceramic coating won't do anything im terms of protection, thats all PPF. All ceramic coating is just layer thats prevents water from sticking (hydrophobic) so that its easier to clean

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
A ceramic coating won't do anything im terms of protection, thats all PPF. All ceramic coating is just layer thats prevents water from sticking (hydrophobic) so that its easier to clean
I was more interested in removing rubber marks from tires at the track (kick up from marbles, etc). Before I put ceramic on my current car, I would take a good bit to remove the rubber. It comes off a lot easier now. I know it won't help with actual damage, though wouldn't that be a dream!

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
I really got tired of the noticeable seam lines from wax, dirt and clay bar build up that was very evident after detailing my vehicle.

Since I do a lot of high speed highway driving on Interstate Highways my partial PPF was great for the areas that were protected but there were always some unprotected areas that always seemed to get hit and they stuck out like a sore thumb therefore really looked out of place.

Also, after closing examining my partial PPF and others that had also done a partial PPF, I noticed that some edges started to lift and they also had the same complaint.

In addition the yellowing of PPF from UV rays certainly was noticeable on my vehicle and also on other vehicles that I have looked at closely as well therefore did not like the difference in color, gloss and finish where the PPF left off and where the non protected paint started.

I have discussed the pros and cons of numerous installers in my area allong with my concerns and they all agree that a partial PPF is not something that they endorse and it was not about the money but more about the final result over time.

If you and others are comfortable with a partial PPF I respect your decisions therefore fill you boots, but for me it was a waste of time and money and would never go down that road again.
You make great points. I don't think I would ever do partial body panels anyways. I do plan on just doing the front but I will get the entire hood, bumper and fender panels done in ppf and then a 3 year Gyeon ceramic over the entire car. I have an FC3 and I'm kicking myself for not doing the ppf on the front. She has 80k miles and the sides and back are still clean. The dealer installed the ppf around the doors and I took that off almost immediately. Dirt and grime just got in where the edges were.

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
You make great points. I don't think I would ever do partial body panels anyways. I do plan on just doing the front but I will get the entire hood, bumper and fender panels done in ppf and then a 3 year Gyeon ceramic over the entire car. I have an FC3 and I'm kicking myself for not doing the ppf on the front. She has 80k miles and the sides and back are still clean. The dealer installed the ppf around the doors and I took that off almost immediately. Dirt and grime just got in where the edges were.
Upon taking delivery of my new FL5 I am going to drive it without installing any PPF but if I had planned on tracking my new 2nd generation CTR I would certainly entertain doing the complete vehicle.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
That's what I'm doing. Just the front bumper, hood, fenders, and side mirrors in ppf. Then ceramic over that and the rest of the car. In fact when I price shopped every place gave me a quote for that and a full ppf price.
Exactly what I’m doing

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX

Also, after closely examining my partial PPF and others that had also done a partial PPF, I noticed that some edges started to lift and they also had the same complaint.

I have discussed the pros and cons of numerous installers in my area along with my concerns and they all agree that a partial PPF is not something that they endorse and it was not about the money but more about the final result over time.

If you and others are comfortable with a partial PPF I respect your decisions therefore fill your boots, but for me it was a waste of time and money and would never go down that road again.
Well I’m not doing partial panels. Everything will be covered up to the front doors. Just takes proper care.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Couple additional studio picture for now...
he'll send me some more macro lens shots from his studio, and I'll upload so you'all can send see the before and after. Jason is a very talented detailer...I even feel bad calling him a "detailer"...

he won't be the cheapest, but he is really good! No Doubt! :)
check out his portfolio guys!

https://carzwerk.com/

studio.jpg

studio1.jpg
Fuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 🥵😍

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I may be the minority here but I refuse to spend thousand on ppf and ceramic. The car is expensive enough as it is. A few rock chips over what will likely be around 3 years of ownership don't bother me. I'll get some touch up paint from Honda and call it a day. Car won't bring any more on trade because it has ppf/ceramic.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
I may be the minority here but I refuse to spend thousand on ppf and ceramic. The car is expensive enough as it is. A few rock chips over what will likely be around 3 years of ownership don't bother me. I'll get some touch up paint from Honda and call it a day. Car won't bring any more on trade because it has ppf/ceramic.
Yeah if you don’t plan on keeping the car, sure it’s a waste. But people like me, who plan on most likely always keeping, PPF is definitely worth it to keep the chips away.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
The amount of construction in florida is wild…I got 2 rock chips on my fk8 on the ride home in 2017

If you’re keeping long term, it’ll help preserve paint and keep the panels matching for a while

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Are dealers back open today? Be cool to see some good news this side of Arizona after Thanksgiving.
Sponsored