• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Winter Tire setup

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I ran a set of 235/40-18 Pilot Alpin 5's on 8.5" wide wheels last winter on my GR Corolla and they really impressed me. I didn't have high expectation for deep snow and they did well. Their dry performance was pretty impressive, easily on par with decent all seasons.

I will be trading my GRC over to a CTR next week and using the same winter tires on 8" wide wheels. The PA5's work out to be a slightly larger OD than OEM on paper. They seem to run way narrower than their spec suggests - they looked really stretched on 8.5 rims, as if they were a 205 or 215. Hence going with the 8" for CTR.

I purchased my winter wheels and tires at the end of August, and got a good deal from TireRack--I went with:

245/40R18 Vredestein Wintrac Pro
18x8 Gloss Black Painted Sparco Record
Did you ever try driving on those Vredesteins? I'd imagine not - it's been so mild there hasn't been any reason to put on the winter set.
Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Did you ever try driving on those Vredesteins? I'd imagine not - it's been so mild there hasn't been any reason to put on the winter set.
I've had them on for about 2 weeks now, actually! Afternoon temperatures are in the 50's, and sometimes the low 60's, but mornings are consistently between 30 and 40 degrees. I figured better-safe-than-sorry and had them switched when the forecast finally showed ~7 days of 30 degree mornings.

I'm very happy with the Vredesteins after ~150 miles. The tires are very quiet/smooth, and the ride is soft--I can tell they're nowhere near as sticky as the OEM summer tires, as I can induce wheel hop rather easily (I'm running the Hondata 93 Octane tune), and one piece of my commute with fresh resurfacing no longer sounds like a hailstorm is happening under the car.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I've had them on for about 2 weeks now, actually! Afternoon temperatures are in the 50's, and sometimes the low 60's, but mornings are consistently between 30 and 40 degrees. I figured better-safe-than-sorry and had them switched when the forecast finally showed ~7 days of 30 degree mornings.

I'm very happy with the Vredesteins after ~150 miles. The tires are very quiet/smooth, and the ride is soft--I can tell they're nowhere near as sticky as the OEM summer tires, as I can induce wheel hop rather easily (I'm running the Hondata 93 Octane tune), and one piece of my commute with fresh resurfacing no longer sounds like a hailstorm is happening under the car.
Nice. Yeah to me the winter tire swap is always a little like getting out of the work boots and stepping into a cozy pair of slippers haha. It's a nice change of pace in a way.

I'm not buying stuff for this car until I have the keys in hand so I won't have my winter wheels ready when I take delivery, crossing my fingers that the forecast stays super mild like it's saying.

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I just run all seasons 265/40/18 pilot sport all season 4 tires in 18/9.5 wheels. I just wanted something I could drive year around without worrying. So far so good but I have not given them a chance in the snow yet.

I made my decision to go with all seasons Vs dedicated winter tires after watching this video:

I didn’t feel the difference was big enough for me personally to have just dedicated winter tires.

Reactions: dng

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This is my winter setup: mandatory 235/40 R18 Kleber Krisalp HP3 with Tomason TN25 gloss black.

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4025.JPG
What center caps did you order? I'm about to swap out my emblems and want to get rid of the chrome on the center caps. I really like this look. Is the center cap matte black?

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
I've had them on since early October, I think they do really well in the dry and wet. We had one mild snow day and they did okay. I'm coming from an sti and the front wheel spin gets annoying, but that's fwd. I live in nwi so we never know what kind of weather we'll get. I also had them on the sti they did pretty good in the snow, I think the Yokohama blue earths i had might have been better, but it's hard to say. Tread life is great on the vredestein. I was thinking of getting a GRC for winter, or a crosstrek ha.

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I just run all seasons 265/40/18 pilot sport all season 4 tires in 18/9.5 wheels. I just wanted something I could drive year around without worrying. So far so good but I have not given them a chance in the snow yet.

I made my decision to go with all seasons
11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup IMG_7866
Vs dedicated winter tires after watching this video:

I didn’t feel the difference was big enough for me personally to have just dedicated winter tires.

poops

First Name
Dayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR/FL5
Swapped from oem wheel/tire set to my winter setup yesterday - Continental VikingContact 7 (245/40R18) mounted on Voxx Lago 18x8 wheels.

I don't know if it's in my head, but immediately jumping in the car and driving, it feels like the steering wheel is 'easier' to turn and may require more revolutions to turn the actual wheels. Anyone else feel this or am I going bonkers?

BTW, the Conti's are great - awesome grip and quiet.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Finally picked up my car yesterday. 32F but fortunately dry, tip-toed the 5-6 miles back to the in-laws where I had my winter set waiting before I made my 2 hr trip home.

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup IMG_3172

Pilot Alpin 5 235/40-18 on 18x8 +45 sparco podio. Nary a complaint from me so far.
Sponsored