• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I believe this is the full review from Top Gear; for some reason, not the Chris Harris version (odd that they would have two people from their crew review the same car):

Any one know where I can find chris harris civic type r 2023 review video I really want to see it 🥹
here's chris talking about the FL5, if you didn't see this yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
It's just Chris sliding about for entertainment value. It's not really a proper review.

Anthonyfa18

First Name
Anthony Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda’s
I believe the episode airs in the U.S. tomorrow on BBC America if it is S33E4
do you know if we will be Abel to see in Canada, I hope it come to YouTube

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Administrator - not sure where to put this owner review, feel free to move

Early owner review of the FL5 in context of purchasing this car to be a fun, year round daily to occasionally haul a family of four and keep for at least 4-6 years. Car being kept below 4500 rpm and no heavy throttle during break-in so no judgment being made on power delivery other than there is enough torque below 4500rpm for basic daily driving.

Initial Positive Impressions. Ranked order most positive at top. When mentioning other cars for comparison it is because I have spent time with them and not a guess or using others opinions.
  • Shift feel: best feeling manual with exception of my buddies S2000 with a shift kit (which is in a different league). Shift throws are longer than I anticipated but not a problem with this amazing feeling shifter.
  • Clutch: I thought to myself, “Wow, so simple to use with a super smooth engagement point”. I’m predominantly use to driving high horsepower American cars like GT350, Corvette, etc. with finicky clutch engagement points
  • Tons of passenger and cargo space in this car. Man this is going to make a great family hauler 🙂
  • Looks: it looks way more special in person than photos would suggest. Very pleased with the new design, especially the front. Looks nice and aggressive. My wife hates the wing but her taste is for SUV’s and she’s not driving it so………..
  • Front seats: very supportive and comfortable
  • Interior: just the right amount of color pop to make it feel special. The ambient red lighting at night is a nice touch. Not overdone.
  • Steering ‘Feel’: this impression has to do with the way the steering wheel feels in the hand, both tactically and how the car turns in when at normal driving speeds. Compared with the top three cars I’ve experienced with best steering feel, those are modded S2000, E46 BMW, Alfa Gulia Ti, the FL5 would be in a tie for fourth with the latest GT350. My C7 Grand Sport is a notch below in 5th. I consider that great company so overall it is very good.
  • “Comfort” mode: highway cruising on smooth roads or rough roads is comfortable and low NVH considering the performance potential
  • “R” mode: change in character of the car is clear and feels more ‘engaged’. In this mode. Would not consider using this mode for daily on anything but smooth pavement; it is stiff for rough roads.
  • Visibility: excellent. The rear wing does not impede rearward visibility

Initial Negative Impressions:
  • Engine sound: synthetic engine sound in “R” mode is off putting if you want to use “R” mode during your daily drive. Need to have the dealer turn this off.
  • Sport mode: not sure of the point of this mode. Don’t expect to be in this mode much since I’ll create an “Individual” mode with “Comfort” damper setting and “Sport” everything else. Yes, the change in ride between Comfort and Sport is that noticeable.
  • Back Up Camera: night visibility (brightness) is very good but clarity is bad and the fisheye lens view of the world will take some getting use to?
  • Exiting vehicle: I cringe a bit each time I get out because I know the side front seat bolster is going to wear down pretty quickly considering how much it pushes against my leg when exiting the vehicle. Will try different techniques and seat height adjustments to try and create less friction.
  • Engine vibration: I get that this engine has high power output for its size and is geared for performance, but moderate throttle acceleration does transmit a decent amount to the cabin. Not a big deal; I know and respect what this car is for, a driving enthusiast!

endolp

First Name
Jadon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Clutch: I thought to myself, “Wow, so simple to use with a super smooth engagement point”. I’m predominantly use to driving high horsepower American cars like GT350, Corvette, etc. with finicky clutch engagement points
I thought the same thing!! Going from a 2017 Focus ST (admittedly not high horsepower, but very much American), I was expecting the transmission in the CTR to feel the same sort of way, but the CTR's clutch is SO much less finicky than my FoST was. I got really good at working the Focus's clutch after four years of owning it, but it's going to take me a while to un-learn my way of driving a stick for this Type R.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thats good to hear there is decent engine vibration... Meaning they used stiffer engine mounts. The elantra n when launched hard the engine would smack the firewall

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats good to hear there is decent engine vibration... Meaning they used stiffer engine mounts. The elantra n when launched hard the engine would smack the firewall
Interesting and funny!
Running errands today I found it really starts being very noticeable at mid throttle (I’m sure and higher but still breaking her in) and 2500-4000 rpm (again, breaking her in so keeping below 4500)

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Interesting and funny!
Running errands today I found it really starts being very noticeable at mid throttle (I’m sure and higher but still breaking her in) and 2500-4000 rpm (again, breaking her in so keeping below 4500)
Whats the break in procedure and how long is it?

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
Administrator - not sure where to put this owner review, feel free to move

Early owner review of the FL5 in context of purchasing this car to be a fun, year round daily to occasionally haul a family of four and keep for at least 4-6 years. Car being kept below 4500 rpm and no heavy throttle during break-in so no judgment being made on power delivery other than there is enough torque below 4500rpm for basic daily driving.

Initial Positive Impressions. Ranked order most positive at top. When mentioning other cars for comparison it is because I have spent time with them and not a guess or using others opinions.
  • Shift feel: best feeling manual with exception of my buddies S2000 with a shift kit (which is in a different league). Shift throws are longer than I anticipated but not a problem with this amazing feeling shifter.
  • Clutch: I thought to myself, “Wow, so simple to use with a super smooth engagement point”. I’m predominantly use to driving high horsepower American cars like GT350, Corvette, etc. with finicky clutch engagement points
  • Tons of passenger and cargo space in this car. Man this is going to make a great family hauler 🙂
  • Looks: it looks way more special in person than photos would suggest. Very pleased with the new design, especially the front. Looks nice and aggressive. My wife hates the wing but her taste is for SUV’s and she’s not driving it so………..
  • Front seats: very supportive and comfortable
  • Interior: just the right amount of color pop to make it feel special. The ambient red lighting at night is a nice touch. Not overdone.
  • Steering ‘Feel’: this impression has to do with the way the steering wheel feels in the hand, both tactically and how the car turns in when at normal driving speeds. Compared with the top three cars I’ve experienced with best steering feel, those are modded S2000, E46 BMW, Alfa Gulia Ti, the FL5 would be in a tie for fourth with the latest GT350. My C7 Grand Sport is a notch below in 5th. I consider that great company so overall it is very good.
  • “Comfort” mode: highway cruising on smooth roads or rough roads is comfortable and low NVH considering the performance potential
  • “R” mode: change in character of the car is clear and feels more ‘engaged’. In this mode. Would not consider using this mode for daily on anything but smooth pavement; it is stiff for rough roads.
  • Visibility: excellent. The rear wing does not impede rearward visibility

Initial Negative Impressions:
  • Engine sound: synthetic engine sound in “R” mode is off putting if you want to use “R” mode during your daily drive. Need to have the dealer turn this off.
  • Sport mode: not sure of the point of this mode. Don’t expect to be in this mode much since I’ll create an “Individual” mode with “Comfort” damper setting and “Sport” everything else. Yes, the change in ride between Comfort and Sport is that noticeable.
  • Back Up Camera: night visibility (brightness) is very good but clarity is bad and the fisheye lens view of the world will take some getting use to?
  • Exiting vehicle: I cringe a bit each time I get out because I know the side front seat bolster is going to wear down pretty quickly considering how much it pushes against my leg when exiting the vehicle. Will try different techniques and seat height adjustments to try and create less friction.
  • Engine vibration: I get that this engine has high power output for its size and is geared for performance, but moderate throttle acceleration does transmit a decent amount to the cabin. Not a big deal; I know and respect what this car is for, a driving enthusiast!
Thanks for the review.

Does comfort mode feel too stiff when daily driving? I heard it’s a lot more stiff than FK8. Trying to get insights because I’m not going to use the car for the track so I’m hoping it’s ok street driving.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whats the break in procedure and how long is it?
To date I am unaware of anything official for this car. So I am resorting to what I’ve done in the past when nothing formal is provided.
- within 500 miles I’m:
- avoiding full throttle acceleration
- avoiding long duration at the same rpm
- rpm no greater than 2/3 of the redline
- avoid long duration idling

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review.

Does comfort mode feel too stiff when daily driving? I heard it’s a lot more stiff than FK8. Trying to get insights because I’m not going to use the car for the track so I’m hoping it’s ok street driving.
I have not driven an FK8 so can’t directly compare. For the FL5 when in “Comfort” mode it is about as stiff as my Alfa Giulia Ti. The ride is not ‘floaty’ and the suspension quickly damps out sudden impacts nicely. It is NOT a luxurious feeling ride but instead is taut but comfortable. Sorry that I cannot be more specific.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
I had an FK8 for 4 years. Traded in for the FL5. If anyone has comparison questions I can probably answer

OP
OP
JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
I had an FK8 for 4 years. Traded in for the FL5. If anyone has comparison questions I can probably answer
OK, thanks. Ride quality on bad roads?

Scale of 1 to 10.
1 is a billy cart.
10 is a Rolls Royce Phantom.

Where would you place the FK8 and FL5?
Sponsored