• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
I had the chance to talk directly to the Australian driver who earlier this year set a FWD lap record in the FK8 LE and non LE at the Bend motorsport park. His comment was that the LE was more taily and a lot easier to rotate than the regular Type R but at the cost of stability and drivability for your average Joe.

The fact is you can't add over an inch of wheelbase, some extra weight, wider tyres and not affect how it drives. I suspect that road reviews will say it has lost some inherent agility in real world low speed corners that they've clawed back by making the rear a bit more loose.
The longer wheel base should dial the stability back in so sounds like it's best of both worlds 😎
Sponsored

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06
Hmmm. Longer, lower, wider (and heavier). Sounds like your father's Oldsmobile.

I track my FK8 a lot and it doesn't look like the FL5 can carry as much under the hatch (which I routinely fill in the FK8 with tires, jack, jerry cans, tools, food and drinks etc.)

Agree completely that the FL5 looks like any other Honda (Accord or Civic) with a wing attached. The FK8 is completely on its own for looks.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Count me on the "liking the FK8" side, the FL5 is boring but I do like the much better integrated flares and vents. Can we mash them together plz?

I'd expect this to be a half step better than a FK8 at most, like anyone getting into it is getting the best but if you're in a FK8 there isn't much reason to upgrade.

My local Turo has two FK8s listed, maybe a FL5 will show up too - probably the only way to test drive these.

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
Count me on the "liking the FK8" side, the FL5 is boring but I do like the much better integrated flares and vents. Can we mash them together plz?

I'd expect this to be a half step better than a FK8 at most, like anyone getting into it is getting the best but if you're in a FK8 there isn't much reason to upgrade.

My local Turo has two FK8s listed, maybe a FL5 will show up too - probably the only way to test drive these.
I suppose you could always stick some fake vents on 🤣

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
The longer wheel base should dial the stability back in so sounds like it's best of both worlds 😎
Honda have definitely brought their A team to the FK8 and FL5 Type R so I suspect that will be the case. Dynamically they have performed nothing sort of chassis alchemy on both platforms.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R

FL5JR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AW11

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Little concerned about the comments from multiple people and journalists saying it's too stiff. Hopefully just in +R mode.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Little concerned about the comments from multiple people and journalists saying it's too stiff. Hopefully just in +R mode.
Im thinking smooth road / track will be fine. Anything else may be individual sport mode.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
@crash___ said that even Comfort mode is bumpy. That's where it could be a problem for me. I liked how dynamic the FK8 was but I couldn't get behind how it looked.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
While I have no desire to run out and trade in my FK8 for an FL5 - I would be lying if I said I didn't want to test drive one.
You are right - if Honda could combine the cooling on the FL5, the interior knobs, the power, the better shift linkage, with the FK8 s the pumped in noise, the price, and...never mind. I will just enjoy my '18.
Seems like the common compliant across the board is that R+ mode is too stiff (and its more apparent on bumpy tracks)

Too bad Honda doesn't use MagneRide. I bet that would solve the problem easy.
True that! Not sure if that would add weight or not. Thinking yes. Could be well worth it.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I'm wondering how it compares to the ride of the FK8.

@crash___ . Any chance you could compare any of the Type R modes vs FL5 comfort mode if you have experience between both cars? I had a ride in an FK8 in normal mode on the original 20s that I thought was pretty tolerable

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
The surprise for me on the FK8 is how livable +R mode is. Not too harsh at all. I will turn it on when I want maximum response for curves, corners, passing, merging. And then forget to turn it off sometimes because it feels just fine. If my 67 year old body can easily live with it, no whining accepted from my younger forum colleagues.

Sport is the default, and my default as well.

Comfort is just okay, but my least favorite. It just makes the suspension drag out its response to bad pavement. It doesn't so much eliminate bumps as slow down the jounce. They are still there, they just last longer. Ugh. Every time I try comfort mode I wind up putting it back in Sport.

Honestly if all I had was Sport and _+R I would be fine. + R is certainly useful on both road and track. No pun intended.
Sponsored