• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
TH just did a roll race and the FK8 actually pulled away from the FL5. I couldn’t believe it.

I mean it walked it. WTF? - This is somewhat disastrous.
Sponsored

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
TH just did a roll race and the FK8 actually pulled away from the FL5. I couldn’t believe it.

Disastrous? How?

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R

I suspect because the FK8 has a shorter differential gear ratio (4.11) than the FL5 (3.842) and the extra power of the FL5 is not enough to make up for it and the extra weight.

The 4.11 gear ratio is also why the FK8 is more susceptible to break traction in 1st and 2nd, regardless of tyres.

Would be interesting to see FK8 lap times with the FL5 wheel/tyre package fitted or vice versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: 007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disastrous? How?
Well, because it’s slower in a straight line. I’m not suggesting that’s the only metric that matters. Far from it. It’s just that I’ve owned M cars for two decades and there has never been a time when an older model outperformed a newer model from a roll.

Maybe “disastrous” was a stretch, but shocking nonetheless. I would really like to see FK8 vs FL5 on same tires around a track.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Well, because it’s slower in a straight line. I’m not suggesting that’s the only metric that matters. Far from it. It’s just that I’ve owned M cars for two decades and there has never been a time when an older model outperformed a newer model from a roll.

Maybe “disastrous” was a stretch, but shocking nonetheless. I would really like to see FK8 vs FL5 on same tires around a track.
You and everyone else are also conveniently over looking the fact that it lost from a dig race

🤷🏾‍♂️

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You and everyone else are also conveniently over looking the fact that it lost from a dig race

🤷🏾‍♂️
What makes you think that I overlooked that?

I clearly stated that I was referring to the roll race.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
What makes you think that I overlooked that?

I clearly stated that I was referring to the roll race.
My mistake, Ive been bombarded all morning with “See! the FK8 is better” messages, at which point I have to ask people to be objective.
I expected it to lose the roll tho, 10hp cant make up for the increased weight and longer final drive ratio.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Lol - You are full of sour grapes!!!

Listen to Tedward cackle with glee, it might make you feel better! I might make it my ringtone, lol!
how so? a cheaper 86 would be way more fun than the Type R. But this isn't a sports car, its a hot hatch that should have some power. is it wrong to expect more from a 45 thousand dollar car? Especially majority of these cars will be used on the streets not on the track.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
either way 106mph trap in 2023 for a performance car is unacceptable for the price imo.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...onda-civic-type-r-vs-2022-vw-golf-r-compared/

Golf R does it in 111mph with the same HP, it would walk the Civic like it was standing still.
5 mph less being unacceptable is the hill you’re prepared to die on 😂🤣 the manual Golf R is almost a second slower around a track. That amounts to a whole different class on a drag strip or race class.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how so? a cheaper 86 would be way more fun than the Type R. But this isn't a sports car, its a hot hatch that should have some power. is it wrong to expect more from a 45 thousand dollar car?
Only if it were $45k :)

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R

🤷🏾‍♂️
Not really a fair comparison since the FL5 is on better tyres. Even in the video the FK8 spun 2nd from a roll and still won.

Putting better wheels and tyres on an FK8 is a lot more trivial than shortening the diff ratio and trying to shave 30-40kg off the FL5.

That said, I suspect the FK8 would be harder to launch even with the same wheels and tyres as the FL5.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
if the car came in under 40k, I say its acceptable. 45k... nah. Car under performs. You can be a fan boy all you want or wanna feel good about yourself cause you dropped 10k extra but I'd be pissed if I couldn't pull on a Gti.
Sponsored