• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

255 35 R19 Yokohama Advan A052 (3-seconds Faster!!)

Club Version

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
Build Thread
Link
A little preface; after 4 track days on the factory tires I had enough of the lack luster performance, especially after swapping in more aggressive track pads. So I decided to go searching for a 200TW tire in the OEM size, unfortunately there aren't many options out there. So I had to do a little digging to see if I can swap in a slightly different size but still maintain the same or similar overall diameter.

As such, I pulled the trigger and purchased the A052's. After some research I found out that the 255 35 R19 size has a marginal increase in overall diameter but a wider tread width then stock. After a month of driving on the street and a full weekend at the track I'm happy to report it has been the best mod I've done to the car. At my local track I was able to improve on my PB by 3-seconds and pound them for full 25 minute sessions. In addition, with the slightly taller sidewall the ride comfort has improved, but road noise has increased. If you are picky about road noise this is not the tire for you.

Anyways, enjoy the following pics of how it looks on the wheel:
11th Gen Honda Civic 255 35 R19 Yokohama Advan A052 (3-seconds Faster!!) Cropped in 0.PNG
11th Gen Honda Civic 255 35 R19 Yokohama Advan A052 (3-seconds Faster!!) Cropped in 1.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
Thanks for sharing. I thought about running this tire size. I wish I could try this in all season.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Thanks for sharing. I thought about running this tire size. I wish I could try this in all season.

I might be misunderstanding what you meant, but I am using the 255/35 R19 size for my all-season continentals. sorry if that's not what you were saying.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
A little preface; after 5 track days on the factory tires I had enough of the lack luster performance, especially after swapping in more aggressive track pads. So I decided to go searching for a 200TW tire in the OEM size, unfortunately there aren't many options out there. So I had to do a little digging to see if I can swap in a slightly different size but still maintain the same or similar overall diameter.

As such, I pulled the trigger and purchased the A052's. After some research I found out that the 255 35 R19 size has a marginal increase in overall diameter but a wider tread width then stock. After a month of driving on the street and a full weekend at the track I'm happy to report it has been the best mod I've done to the car. At my local track I was able to improve on my PB by 3-seconds and pound them for full 25 minute sessions. In addition, with the slightly taller sidewall the ride comfort has improved, but road noise has increased. If you are picky about road noise this is not the tire for you.

Anyways, enjoy the following pics of how it looks on the wheel:
Cropped in 0.PNG
Cropped in 1.PNG
I’m having the same issue! Thank you for testing this out. Might grab a set of Bridgestones in this height size. Looking at 275/35/R19

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
I might be misunderstanding what you meant, but I am using the 255/35 R19 size for my all-season continentals. sorry if that's not what you were saying.
How do you like that tire setup? Do you notice any speedo errors?

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek

I didn't mount my own tires -- i let my dealership do it, and they supposedly reset the speedometer electronics. However, I don't know if they did... but, since these are just all-seasons that i won't use for track... it would only be a 2.5 mph diff at 90 and 1.4 mph AT 50 -- which i haven't noticed anything at all. I passed a neighborhood street radar display at low speeds a few times, and it seemed right for something that imprecise. I haven't tested with GPS. I should prob do that.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek

I should also mention that i get almost an extra half inch of sidewall that i def notice and like very much for potholes and other road hazards...including the rough bump of my driveway butted up against the street pavement. lol

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
BTW - I have now tested with GPS and my Continental DWS 06 Plus 255/35/R19 are showing precise speeds up to 75mph. As i said, the dealer service dept said they would do the calibration... so they must have. I will ask next time to be sure.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
After some research I found out that the 255 35 R19 size has a marginal increase in overall diameter but a wider tread width then stock.
255s should have almost a 1/2" narrower tread width over the stock 265s.

I have been on the hunt for 200TW tires as well for the stock wheels. If you stick with the stock tire size you basically have only 1 option - Nankang CR-S (which get reviewed positively).
If you go to 265/35/19 you can choose almost any 200TW tire there is - YOK AD09, Nankang CR-S, Falken RT660, Conti, Bridgestone RE-71RS).

Would there be any downside to 265/35/19? I would not care about speedo error as these would only be track tires.

OP
OP
Club Version

Club Version

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
Build Thread
Link
255s should have almost a 1/2" narrower tread width over the stock 265s.

I have been on the hunt for 200TW tires as well for the stock wheels. If you stick with the stock tire size you basically have only 1 option - Nankang CR-S (which get reviewed positively).
If you go to 265/35/19 you can choose almost any 200TW tire there is - YOK AD09, Nankang CR-S, Falken RT660, Conti, Bridgestone RE-71RS).

Would there be any downside to 265/35/19? I would not care about speedo error as these would only be track tires.
I’m pretty sure the Advans run wider than the PS4S. In my experience many of the 200 TW tires in the market run pretty wide.

According to Tire Rack the tread width on the 255 Advans is 9.5” and the 265 PS4S is 9.2”.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I’m pretty sure the Advans run wider than the PS4S. In my experience many of the 200 TW tires in the market run pretty wide.

According to Tire Rack the tread width on the 255 Advans is 9.5” and the 265 PS4S is 9.2”.
This gets into the section width vs tread width discussion, and I’m certainly no expert so I’ll just chime in with how I understand things and hope that someone smarter comes in with the correct information.

The section width (ie, 255 vs 265), is the measured width sidewall to sidewall. To me it is the primary factor when considering the width of the rim you’re mounting on.

Tread width is as it sounds, the width of the tread, and can vary from tire design to tire design.

The thing is, I feel like the tread width is not necessarily a direct measurement of CONTACT PATCH, which as I understand it is ultimately what matters when you’re driving the car. And mounting a narrower section width (255) on the same width wheel will result in a “stretched” tire that could actually result in LESS contact patch… which is why I haven’t considered “downgrading” the section width from 265.

Please someone tell me I’m wrong, as I’d love to begin considering Bridgestones and Advans in 19s. I think the RT660 is available in 275/30 and there’s always the Cup2 available in OEM sizes… but I want the RE71RS or A052, and right now I think I’d need to do 18s to get them in a size I wouldn’t feel was compromised.

OP
OP
Club Version

Club Version

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Championship White
Build Thread
Link
This gets into the section width vs tread width discussion, and I’m certainly no expert so I’ll just chime in with how I understand things and hope that someone smarter comes in with the correct information.

The section width (ie, 255 vs 265), is the measured width sidewall to sidewall. To me it is the primary factor when considering the width of the rim you’re mounting on.

Tread width is as it sounds, the width of the tread, and can vary from tire design to tire design.

The thing is, I feel like the tread width is not necessarily a direct measurement of CONTACT PATCH, which as I understand it is ultimately what matters when you’re driving the car. And mounting a narrower section width (255) on the same width wheel will result in a “stretched” tire that could actually result in LESS contact patch… which is why I haven’t considered “downgrading” the section width from 265.

Please someone tell me I’m wrong, as I’d love to begin considering Bridgestones and Advans in 19s. I think the RT660 is available in 275/30 and there’s always the Cup2 available in OEM sizes… but I want the RE71RS or A052, and right now I think I’d need to do 18s to get them in a size I wouldn’t feel was compromised.
In my experience it comes down to actual feel as well. I’ve always ran a 255 on a 9.5 wheel rim on my S2000 and it’s what I’m used to, it provides a more twitchy turn-in feel. However, the 255 A052’s do run wide and they are not stretched on the factory wheels.

Overall, I’m extremely happy with my decision and I feel it was the right one for me.

At the end of the day there’s no wrong answer, everyone has their own preference so you just gotta go with what you like and what gives you the most confidence on track.

J1Avs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
CRS comes in a 265/30/19 for those looking to keep stock specs. I've ran 265/35/19 ECF without any issues -- speedo is about 3 mph off at like 70mph, but irrelevant on track, since not really looking down anyway.

A052 should be more like 5-6 seconds faster than PS4S for what its worth. If they are consistent all session, you have a few more seconds in them. It's a true 1 lap wonder tire.
Sponsored