• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
i'm sure Type S will be produced. Maybe drop in the 2.0 from the accord. But its not gonna be anything like the Type R performance wise, it won't have the special dual knuckle design of the R and tuned and built in the US. Seeing as how disappointing both NSX Type S and TLX Type S was done by the US team I would expect great things out of the Teg other than a power upgrade.
Sponsored

Mmkk111

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
This could also be part of the reason why they may limit CTR production…they will have more options for consumers (supply chain issues and the push for EV’s being the other parts of the puzzle). Just a thought 🤷🏻‍♂️

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
No back-up plan for me - I don't need the FL5, I WANT it! If I don't get one i'll stick with what I have which is more than adequate until something else comes along that takes my fancy. I'm quietly confident that i'll be getting one though

Koyti

First Name
Koyti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
An Audi RS3 he says..

Just because the money is the same doesn't mean It's something we would cross shop. We have needs a 70k Golf can't satisfy.

I'm mostly talking shit. It's her car. She can get whatever she pleases but she doesn't lease. So you can miss me with every German luxury make after that.
I'm in the same boat. I'll never buy a German luxury car again.

I like the AMG CLA 45, M3, Golf R and RS3 but none have the same "character" as a Type R tbf. Maybe I'm crazy! Living in NYC, I'm really just looking for something fun that I wouldn't mind taking the occasional road trip in.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
No back-up plan for me - I don't need the FL5, I WANT it! If I don't get one i'll stick with what I have which is more than adequate until something else comes along that takes my fancy. I'm quietly confident that i'll be getting one though
Same, same, same!

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm in the same boat. I'll never buy a German luxury car again.

I like the AMG CLA 45, M3, Golf R and RS3 but none have the same "character" as a Type R tbf. Maybe I'm crazy! Living in NYC, I'm really just looking for something fun that I wouldn't mind taking the occasional road trip in.
I can't imagine living in NYC with a Type R. Do I really want to put bumper guards on the car? I'd rather move out and commute into the city.

Koyti

First Name
Koyti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I can't imagine living in NYC with a Type R. Do I really want to put bumper guards on the car? I'd rather move out and commute into the city.
Thankfully, I have access to a garage in Jersey that's within ~10 minutes of my residence. I likely wouldn't drive it in Manhattan. You have a good point though and I am thinking about moving somewhere more suburban lol.

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When I was working in Manhattan, my manager at the time had a house in the White Plains area and would commute into the office by train.

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
There are plenty of nice cars hidden away in little garages in NYC. It aint easy, but car guys always find a way lol

I'm in Westchester fyi.

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
My main backups are:
- GR86/BRZ
- GR Corolla
- Keep the Mustang and modify it further (even though it's a bit outgunned, it's still fun)

Possible backups:
- Veloster N
- Elantra N
- Civic Si
- Nissan Z
- Classic ITR (it PAINS me to call a car I watched race new in World Challenge a classic)

I was originally looking at something to replace my Mustang (or at least relegate it to just track or weekend duty) and it needed to be a good balance of fun-to-drive, speed and competitiveness. The FK8 ticked all the boxes for what I was looking for in a fun car. I decided to wait and see what the next Type R would be and I'm not disappointed, at least by what information is out there. While I could afford a $65k car, I don't want to, especially for something based on a mass-produced compact economy car.

I think the twins are at the top of my list if the FL5 is out of the cards. I haven't had a chance to drive the new ones, but I liked the way the 1st gen drove around town. I also had the opportunity to codrive an FR-S on good tires at an autocross earlier this month; I was pleased. I have yet to drive one on track, however. If the new one is as better as they say, then I would be happy. Plus, it's more affordable, which is more money for events/consumables.

Hopefully, I can get the FL5 at a decent price. I passed on a SGP FK8 at MSRP in 2019; regretting that now.

OP
OP
Toprarnen

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
My main backups are:
- GR86/BRZ
- GR Corolla
- Keep the Mustang and modify it further (even though it's a bit outgunned, it's still fun)

Possible backups:
- Veloster N
- Elantra N
- Civic Si
- Nissan Z
- Classic ITR (it PAINS me to call a car I watched race new in World Challenge a classic)

Hopefully, I can get the FL5 at a decent price. I passed on a SGP FK8 at MSRP in 2019; regretting that now.
There's no way you could've predicted the market turn when you passed on the 2019 Type R. Also, I wasn't really interested in SGP when there was one available locally. The recent pics threads of the FL5 have me looking at SGP a bit more seriously.

On your list, the Civic Si, Elantra N, and GR Corolla would probably top my list. They've each got their shortcomings, but all are acceptable to me, on paper at least

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There are plenty of nice cars hidden away in little garages in NYC. It aint easy, but car guys always find a way lol

I'm in Westchester fyi.
Definitely can be done. I personally wouldn't do it, but that is just me.

Not a nice car, but my uncle lives in the Upper East Side and parked his Forrester in a garage. It was in the garage most of the time, since he rarely drove it. One day, he noticed an indentation on the hood, like someone dropped something on it.
Sponsored