• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
There's no way you could've predicted the market turn when you passed on the 2019 Type R. Also, I wasn't really interested in SGP when there was one available locally. The recent pics threads of the FL5 have me looking at SGP a bit more seriously.

On your list, the Civic Si, Elantra N, and GR Corolla would probably top my list. They've each got their shortcomings, but all are acceptable to me, on paper at least
My list does shift around a bit. The Elantra does move in and out of the top list. We had one show up at our region's monthly autocross and it looked pretty good out there. I didn't have the opportunity to drive one, however, so I can't gage it fully. I like the Si a lot, but it just needs more of...idk...something. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's possibly the fact that the Type R exists which "diminishes" it somehow? I did like the 2 door Si from the previous generation as it added a bit of uniqueness.

I somewhat predicted the market actually (in an odd way). I have a habit of passing up a good deal on a car, then prices for those suddenly skyrocketing a couple years later.

- 1st gen NSX for $20k
- 930 Porsche for $35
- Viper GTS for $27

I'm not listing any more as it's a bit heartbreaking. They were all low miles and in fantastic shape. I always passed on them because I was trying to be responsible and not spend "so much money for a toy" at the time. My wife (who is epitome of responsible, especially with money) even gave me an ultimatum: "The next time you get the inclination about a car, just buy it!" Not even in terms of making a (possible) profit off of them a few years down the line, but just being able to afford the darned thing and enjoy them.
Sponsored

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
One day, he noticed an indentation on the hood, like someone dropped something on it.
Happened to me once. An acorn fell on the hood and left a small crater.

My wife (who is epitome of responsible, especially with money) even gave me an ultimatum: "The next time you get the inclination about a car, just buy it!" Not even in terms of making a (possible) profit off of them a few years down the line, but just being able to afford the darned thing and enjoy them.
Mine is the same. She always says, "what are you earning money for, if not to enjoy it?"

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
My backup was the Supra manual... well at least until I got told by dealers there is a massive waitlist. So yeah... kind of over being on waitlists after this.

My second backup is maybe a Golf R whenever they fix the steering controls.

Or maybe the car bubble will pop finally and I can pick up a Cayman GTS or something.

Kind of interested to see how the Ioniq 5 N will be. A full N car should be able to handle track duty and corner. Might be worth it to jump on the electric bandwagon early

Definitely not interested in yet another fat 0-60 electric rocket, so overplayed at this point.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
My second backup is maybe a Golf R whenever they fix the steering controls.
I'd prefer nobs as well, but it's not as bad as reviewers/news outlets make it out to be. đź‘Ť

@ 11:09

Last edited:

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd prefer nobs as well, but it's really not as bad as reviewers/news outlets make it out to be. đź‘Ť

I like how people harp about the bad controls, but totally accept that driving the car is about as fun as pushing an iron around an ironing board.

I jest, but I can't be the only person who thinks VW's "sporty" products feel incredibly dull.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
I like how people harp about the bad controls, but totally accept that driving the car is about as fun as pushing an iron around an ironing board.

I jest, but I can't be the only person who thinks VW's "sporty" products feel incredibly dull.
Have you tried the Mk8 yet? It's a new animal. Drive feel is similar to the Focus RS. Steering is responsive and direct.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried the Mk8 yet? It's a new animal. Drive feel is similar to the Focus RS. Steering is responsive and direct.
I've tried the new RS3, which I believe is a similar platform. What can I say, it's nothing exciting. Just fast and heavy, but not particularly nimble.

For context, 3 of 4 cars in our stables are about 1 ton or less, 2 of them have hydraulic racks, and the other 2 have some of the best electric racks ever made. I also don't care much for power at all. I'd say my bar is fairly high.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
To all the people, “ waiting for it to drop to MSRP”… unless you find a rare MSRP only dealer, and they haven’t already reserved them all, good luck. This car is never going to be readily available at MSRP. Mark my words.
I don't see this car being readily available at MSRP either, but somebody will end up getting one at MSRP lol

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
I've tried the new RS3, which I believe is a similar platform. What can I say, it's nothing exciting. Just fast and heavy, but not particularly nimble.

For context, 3 of 4 cars in our stables are about 1 ton or less, 2 of them have hydraulic racks, and the other 2 have some of the best electric racks ever made. I also don't care much for power at all. I'd say my bar is fairly high.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Driving feel changes quite a lot when you get heavier, regardless of power. I'm okay with it myself, as long as it doesn't get too heavy. ^^
Mk8 power:weight feels okay for me.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
Don’t people think getting that will be just as crazy? I’ve noticed a lot of people have said this, as if the Type R will be crazy to get, but instead they’ll get the easier Type S… maybe that’s just how I see it?
I don't think the Type S production will be as "limited." People are already paying mark ups for the Si but you can easily find a 6MT Integra at MSRP.
I'm pretty sure a lot of the ITS (if not all) will come with an Auto and that could be a deal breaker for a lot of the CTR buyers.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R

If I'm reading correctly, Z4 coupe, Gen 3 Toyota MR2, Gen 4 Miata hardtop, and a Fiat 500 Abarth? A collection after my own heart.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I'm reading correctly, Z4 coupe, Gen 3 Toyota MR2, Gen 4 Miata hardtop, and a Fiat 500 Abarth? A collection after my own heart.
CZ4A is the 10th gen Evo. Thank you! :)

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
I'd prefer nobs as well, but it's not as bad as reviewers/news outlets make it out to be. đź‘Ť

Sitting down in the car parked in a garage, haptic feedback and touch screens are great (like my phone!). While I'm driving on a bumpy road? No thank you (unironically... also like my phone!).

For those who havent experienced it, Mazda has absolutely nailed the infotainment control with their dial controller.

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I heard similar regarding the Type S. There are 3 TLX Type S listed at one of my local Acura dealer's website. They are not limited in a similar fashion as the Type R or the PMC editions, which both have a numbered badge.