• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

OP
OP
Toprarnen

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Just went and checked out a 997.1 yesterday (along with a TLX), totally not my style of car to drive in either regard. Looks like it's Type-R or bust for me!
Sponsored

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
Just a lowly Stingray would suffice:

z06 is a total animal. i'm on a couple lists trying to get one.

i currently drive a 718 GT4 which i love (manual trans, bucket seats)... it's a beautifully made car that ticks a lot of the right boxes. the Z06 will have an extra dose of drama which i crave and be much faster. without a manual option though, i know i'd kick myself. enter the CTR. it'll satisfy my fun manual car solution and can work as a backup track car. Really excited for both cars!

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review. The RS3 is on my short list of possible backups, but I wasn't feeling super excited about it. After your review, that pretty much puts me in the "Type R or bust" camp. The RS3 seems like it would be pretty thrilling at first (and looks and sounds amazing too), but I'm guessing I would get bored of it pretty quickly, whereas the Type R will likely always stay fun.
what do you think about the A4 you drive?

I had a 2016 S3 which was a lot of fun for around town and in traffic. with a tune it was zippy. The size was easy to drive and i thought it looked pretty nice. On the track it was too quiet and really under-steery. i took it to thunderhill one day and went and bought a 718S shortly afterwards. The RS3 seems like a nice step up from there (and i always get flak for talking about it during an RS3 talk, lol); the motor is definitely the big selling point and i know it's overall better here and there, but i don't think it would hold my interest very long. the engagement doesn't seem to be there in the RS3 from what i can tell which is where i had an issue with the S3 (and F80 M3 with DCT, M6 grancoupe with DCT, GR86 with automatic) .. there's just an X factor of involvement that i crave. my GT4, Camaro SS1LE and 2022 Civic Si had it to some degree.

CTR for me, maybe Si or BMW M2. That's my short list. CTR is a unique car and i hope they really hit the mark.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
z06 is a total animal. i'm on a couple lists trying to get one.

i currently drive a 718 GT4 which i love (manual trans, bucket seats)... it's a beautifully made car that ticks a lot of the right boxes. the Z06 will have an extra dose of drama which i crave and be much faster. without a manual option though, i know i'd kick myself. enter the CTR. it'll satisfy my fun manual car solution and can work as a backup track car. Really excited for both cars!
GT4 and CTR is the right combo!

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
what do you think about the A4 you drive?

I had a 2016 S3 which was a lot of fun for around town and in traffic. with a tune it was zippy. The size was easy to drive and i thought it looked pretty nice. On the track it was too quiet and really under-steery. i took it to thunderhill one day and went and bought a 718S shortly afterwards. The RS3 seems like a nice step up from there (and i always get flak for talking about it during an RS3 talk, lol); the motor is definitely the big selling point and i know it's overall better here and there, but i don't think it would hold my interest very long. the engagement doesn't seem to be there in the RS3 from what i can tell which is where i had an issue with the S3 (and F80 M3 with DCT, M6 grancoupe with DCT, GR86 with automatic) .. there's just an X factor of involvement that i crave. my GT4, Camaro SS1LE and 2022 Civic Si had it to some degree.

CTR for me, maybe Si or BMW M2. That's my short list. CTR is a unique car and i hope they really hit the mark.
Love my B9 A4! It was my first Audi, and I'm a big fan now - hence why I was exploring the RS3 as a possible replacement. Coming from an S2000 previously, the A4 was a massive upgrade in terms of luxury, creature comforts, and most importantly, low end torque. The A4 is a surprisingly zippy car.

After 2 years of it, though, I am getting bored. The itch to return to a manual transmission is just too strong. Unfortunately, with young children now, I won't be able to do a 2-seater, which eliminates a lot of fun options (718 Cayman being at the top of that list).

Enter the Type R, which checks all the boxes I am looking for right now (manual transmission, 4 doors, fun to drive...). I haven't really been able to identify any suitable back-ups for my situation...so I'm likely in the "Type R or bust" camp as well.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #4114 | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
But its also known that current ctr's that overheat after a tune, or going to the track after 1-2 laps which is very common, so they're pretty unreliable as well.
Alright chief, let's take a time out. At this point I'll assume you're only speaking from anecdotes. You're missing a lot of context.

1-2 HOT laps at high ambient will likely get your temps up where you may have to back off for a lap or two and before you can try getting back on it at 10/10ths. This all depends on track conditions and traffic too. Unless you're doing Time Attack runs consistently or are fast enough to set competitive laps in a more lively HPDE setting...you can do multiple sessions with no problems on a stock FK8.

Just like any other FI platform, if its the summer and you added mods (especially power and grippier tires), you need to prep and counter any of those factors. A few people are having success with a vented hood, reverse flow hoses, and secondary radiator setups.

Personally I've never overheated over multiple 20 minute sessions over the past few years of tracking. Disclaimer: I'm not running 200TW tires, nor am I as quick as other FK8 drivers out there...but definitely not the slowest out of a run group either.

All about context.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love my B9 A4! It was my first Audi, and I'm a big fan now - hence why I was exploring the RS3 as a possible replacement. Coming from an S2000 previously, the A4 was a massive upgrade in terms of luxury, creature comforts, and most importantly, low end torque. The A4 is a surprisingly zippy car.

After 2 years of it, though, I am getting bored. The itch to return to a manual transmission is just too strong. Unfortunately, with young children now, I won't be able to do a 2-seater, which eliminates a lot of fun options (718 Cayman being at the top of that list).

Enter the Type R, which checks all the boxes I am looking for right now (manual transmission, 4 doors, fun to drive...). I haven't really been able to identify any suitable back-ups for my situation...so I'm likely in the "Type R or bust" camp as well.
S4 or S5 are nice options for man with a couple small kids. not sure if your kiddos are in the rear-facing seats or not but yeah, those things are huge. I went with the M3 for my kid-hauler when they were in the rear-facing seats. i did a few track days here and there with the F80s and they were quite capable. Manual option is clutch, so to speak.

I consider the CTR a more reasonably priced M3 .. 4 doors .. manual ... can survive some track time ... fun and engaging ... also neither sound great tbh lol but nothing is perfect! S2000 is such a great car from what i've heard -- i've never driven one though. CTR or bust seems like a good plan!

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4 and CTR is the right combo!
through in a 3/4 diesel tow rig and can't ask for much more! love the GT4 but sure wish it had front axle lift .... had to make custom ramps to get the car into my driveway. ha!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Type S for me.. if they keep it a 5 passenger since I need the seating.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
through in a 3/4 diesel tow rig and can't ask for much more! love the GT4 but sure wish it had front axle lift .... had to make custom ramps to get the car into my driveway. ha!
The less said about the condition of my lower front spoiler, the better!
However I have found a piece of fine sandpaper does take the rough edges off and makes it look better.
At some point I will need to replace it.
Thankfully it's a cheap part - by Porsche standards...

avalanche011

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Porsche GT3 and C5 Z06
The less said about the condition of my lower front spoiler, the better!
However I have found a piece of fine sandpaper does take the rough edges off and makes it look better.
At some point I will need to replace it.
Thankfully it's a cheap part - by Porsche standards...
Oh I know about those front spoilers. Been through a couple myself. Definitely thankful they are quite reasonable to replace for Porsche part.

So I just picked the one on the right up last week. Not too sure its a alternative or interim car. I still want to get the Type R to have a 2nd 5 door in the family.

11th Gen Honda Civic Backup plans - what's yours? PXL_20221006_043502386.MP

Reactions: JBO

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Alright chief, let's take a time out. At this point I'll assume you're only speaking from anecdotes. You're missing a lot of context.

1-2 HOT laps at high ambient will likely get your temps up where you may have to back off for a lap or two and before you can try getting back on it at 10/10ths. This all depends on track conditions and traffic too. Unless you're doing Time Attack runs consistently or are fast enough to set competitive laps in a more lively HPDE setting...you can do multiple sessions with no problems on a stock FK8.

Just like any other FI platform, if its the summer and you added mods (especially power and grippier tires), you need to prep and counter any of those factors. A few people are having success with a vented hood, reverse flow hoses, and secondary radiator setups.

Personally I've never overheated over multiple 20 minute sessions over the past few years of tracking. Disclaimer: I'm not running 200TW tires, nor am I as quick as other FK8 drivers out there...but definitely not the slowest out of a run group either.

All about context.
Alright buddy all I know is heat soak and overheat is a thing with your fk8 and aftermarket cooling mods only help but not fix the issue. So idgaf

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #4114 | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Alright buddy all I know is heat soak and overheat is a thing with your fk8 and aftermarket cooling mods only help but not fix the issue. So idgaf
fK8 sO uNreLiaBle iDgAF

Not like we needed confirmation that you just parrot what you read but aren't in the mix, but there it is...

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
fK8 sO uNreLiaBle iDgAF

Not like we needed confirmation that you just parrot what you read but aren't in the mix, but there it is...
An fk8 is like owning a sti in regards to reliability at this point, your fk8 has cooling issues, its a fact. But I guess it's fake news lol. But whatever yall can get angry and defend it all you want, but I know it'll be in the back of your heads like rodknock for subie owners lol.

Last edited: