• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Best Gas For FL5?

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Any specific gas recommendations for the FL5? Finding 91 octane is challenging around me and I’m no fan of 10% (or greater) ethanol. Also seems that some less expensive types tend to knock even if rated as high octane.
Sponsored

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Some people say Costco gas is the best, some say Shell. Who knows? Don't overthink it, anything Top Tier is fine: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Ethanol-free gas isn't worth the price increase and inconvenient locations (unless you live by a marina). Use ethanol-blended gas like the rest of us.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
93 only if available near

stay away from discounted gas stations such as 7-11, race trac, Sams, wawa

stick to top tier stations with additives like shell, Mobil, chevron, Sunoco, Costco

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Any specific gas recommendations for the FL5? Finding 91 octane is challenging around me and I’m no fan of 10% (or greater) ethanol. Also seems that some less expensive types tend to knock even if rated as high octane.
I've always been a Shell premium guy and have never had any issues. Some things I always do though. Never buy gas when they are refilling the tanks at the station, never get below a 1/4 tank, and I always buy from newer gas stations as their tanks are usually newer and less prone to corrosion.

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
93 only if available near

stay away from discounted gas stations such as 7-11, race trac, Sams, wawa

stick to top tier stations with additives like shell, Mobil, chevron, Sunoco, Costco
Should I pick up 93 if it is available near me? Keep in mind my elevation is around 6500ft so I think 91 is basically 93 at that point.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 is always best to run if it’s readily available for sure

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Let's clear a few misconceptions.

Ethanol is great for cars. Even the owners manual approves of using ethanol gas. Up to 15% I believe. Ethanol increases knock resistance. This is a good thing. No knock means more power.

Go to a busy gas station. The idea is less chance of getting stale gas.

Get the highest octane you can get in your area, e.g., 93

So from best to worst:
93 with 10% ethanol
91 with 10% ethanol
91 with 0% ethanol
87 with 10% ethanol

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I've always been a Shell premium guy and have never had any issues. Some things I always do though. Never buy gas when they are refilling the tanks at the station, never get below a 1/4 tank, and I always buy from newer gas stations as their tanks are usually newer and less prone to corrosion.
Sounds more psychological than anything. I doubt that refilling under any of those conditions would have any noticeable effect.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Sounds more psychological than anything. I doubt that refilling under any of those conditions would have any noticeable effect.
Prob not in these modern times as I was taught this by a legendary Porsche sports car team boss a long time ago. It's just something I've always done. I usually fill up at the same Shell station anyways though.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Get the best octane you can get 91, 92, or 93, and I prefer non-ethanol as you will get best fuel economy from it. Ethanol fuels result in less fuel economy, as small as it may be.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Get the best octane you can get 91, 92, or 93, and I prefer non-ethanol as you will get best fuel economy from it. Ethanol fuels result in less fuel economy, as small as it may be.
It’s been proven the engine knocks on 91 octane. Adding ethanol reduces this. The knock is probably not enough to cause long term damage but it’s still engine knock.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
It’s been proven the engine knocks on 91 octane. Adding ethanol reduces this. The knock is probably not enough to cause long term damage but it’s still engine knock.
I agree with this.

Fellow Subaru owners know all about knock :)

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
actually perform better, so who really cares about the 10 extra miles per tank?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
actually perform better, so who really cares about the 10 extra miles per tank?
So 92 octane fuel using ethanol performs better than 92 octane fuel without ethanol ? Octane rating denotes the resistance to knock, so a 92 with ethanol is the same as 92 without ethanol. Same applies to any octane but I just used 92 in this example.

teggyluv

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EG8, 23 FL5
Shell 91 would be my usual choice (no ethanol) but if I planned to drive it harder I'd go with a 94.

Right now the car isn't being driven much at all so shell is in it.

Both easily available in my area
Sponsored