• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have roughly 1300 miles on my FL5, and I chose to follow the recommended break-in in the manual. I still don't really beat on the car very hard. It's probably only seen full throttle a handful of times and maybe one or two of those were full throttle attempts to redline.

I've noticed a few things as the break-in has progressed...

1. Gear changes up and down are much smoother. I still feel a slight hesitation on 2nd gear downshifts, but this has become much more occasional.

2. The engine sound has changed, less raw and a little more refined. (I drive on individual with the interior noise maker turned off.)

3. Limited slip engagement is much smoother and pulls perfectly when cornering.

What about you guys? Do any of you have take-a-ways from your experience as your mileage increases beyond the break-in period?
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I have roughly 1300 miles on my FL5, and I chose to follow the recommended break-in in the manual. I still don't really beat on the car very hard. It's probably only seen full throttle a handful of times and maybe one or two of those were full throttle attempts to redline.

I've noticed a few things as the break-in has progressed...

1. Gear changes up and down are much smoother. I still feel a slight hesitation on 2nd gear downshifts, but this has become much more occasional.

2. The engine sound has changed, less raw and a little more refined. (I drive on individual with the interior noise maker turned off.)

3. Limited slip engagement is much smoother and pulls perfectly when cornering.

What about you guys? Do any of you have take-a-ways from your experience as your mileage increases beyond the break-in period?
Mine is sitting close to 1,200 miles. Broke her in easy for the first 300 miles. Then started adding a bit more each time to really wear in all the parts of the car for their intended purpose. Switched out the oil at 1k and took it to a track day lol. Super fun and no issues. I did do the shifter bushings, shifter base bushings and detent springs and for me it really improved the shifting experience.

Will be changing the trans oil at around 2k miles for some better quality stuff.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Mine is sitting close to 1,200 miles. Broke her in easy for the first 300 miles. Then started adding a bit more each time to really wear in all the parts of the car for their intended purpose. Switched out the oil at 1k and took it to a track day lol. Super fun and no issues. I did do the shifter bushings, shifter base bushings and detent springs and for me it really improved the shifting experience.

Will be changing the trans oil at around 2k miles for some better quality stuff.
Going with the AC Delco fluid for the trans?

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
My engine felt extremely rough and exhibited all kinds of vibrations and noises when it was new. I'm 8000km in with several track days and everything has smoothened out. I used to get a vibration in the engine/driveline upon moderate to hard accel in the lower gears which seems to have completely gone away. Also the engine knocking about at 1500rpm is much more muted now. All good things I guess!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My engine felt extremely rough and exhibited all kinds of vibrations and noises when it was new. I'm 8000km in with several track days and everything has smoothened out. I used to get a vibration in the engine/driveline upon moderate to hard accel in the lower gears which seems to have completely gone away. Also the engine knocking about at 1500rpm is much more muted now. All good things I guess!
I still get that vibration/hesitation!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I find it super interesting that there is so much variation between owners. At best I have found a slight hesitation but no roughness or vibrations. When I installed the rear motor mount I could feel a lot more vibrations but even those have smoothed out in the past 200miles. I can’t wait to play with the hondata software to see if I can find anything tune wise that could be improved.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
No, will be going with the amsoil manual transmission fluid. I used it on my s2k and I’m a big fan.
This. Amsoil is THE BEST and I will definitely be using it in my car. Shifts are so smooth they must put butter in the formula.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I find it super interesting that there is so much variation between owners. At best I have found a slight hesitation but no roughness or vibrations. When I installed the rear motor mount I could feel a lot more vibrations but even those have smoothed out in the past 200miles. I can’t wait to play with the hondata software to see if I can find anything tune wise that could be improved.
There just such a huge human element to NVH and what one might deem acceptable or negligible another may find highly irritating.
I am however quite bewildered that the vibration upon acceleration went away as I was convinced it had to do with the offset crank design coupled with the lack of balance shafts on the K20C1 - both aspects of which cannot "fix" themselves with mileage

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
There just such a huge human element to NVH and what one might deem acceptable or negligible another may find highly irritating.
I am however quite bewildered that the vibration upon acceleration went away as I was convinced it had to do with the offset crank design coupled with the lack of balance shafts on the K20C1 - both aspects of which cannot "fix" themselves with mileage
Factory motor mounts softening up could reduce NVH

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I agree there is a human element for sure. Some stuff that might bother you might not bother somebody else. Glad that it smoothed out for you, I’m still breaking in the rear motor mount to soften it up a bit and see the end result. Most noticeable improvement is how connected the car feels during shifts and also 0 wheel hop.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Which page in the manual can I find out about the recommended break in time and procedure?
Sponsored