• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Break in period (make me feel good)

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Hey guys, I was told that these motors are already broken in from the factory but it seems people have different definitions of what that means. Ihave 150-200 miles on the fl5. I had planned on staying pretty chill until the 500-600 mile range the manual suggests until yesterday happened where i was out with the boys (Supra and 911): After the car was warm i did a couple pulls up to 7k rpm from 1st through 3rd. Today I wake up and feel like an idiot. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Chris Long is that you?

What is done is done. Many people don't wait for 600 miles.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Whatā€™s done is done. No sense it letting it bother you. Itā€™s just a few pulls anyway and these engines are known for their durability. Itā€™s not like you went crazy with it for hours at the track or something.

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR Crystal Black Pearl
when i picked up mine, there was 22 miles on the odo. someone likely had a great time burning those miles and it wasn't me.

i finished the break-in, gently, for the next 600, dropped the oil at 650, and she runs fine.

enjoy your FL5. HONDA MAKES GREAT MOTORS... this is my eighth time owning the brand and they've all treated me well!

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
My go to source on new car break in periods:

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html#pwjt-4

Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And itā€™s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once youā€™ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engineā€™s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, thatā€™s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

During the new car break-in period, take note of the following tips:

• For the first 200 miles, new tires will not yet provide full grip. This is because a release lubricant used in the manufacturing process has to be worn away from the tire surface. Adjust your driving accordingly to prevent accidents.
  • Similarly, the brakes wonā€™t become fully effective for the first 300 miles as the brake pads and discs will need to adjust to one other. You should therefore drive cautiously.
  • The shock absorbers and springs will also need some time to become fully effective. Thatā€™s why you should not push your new car to its limits during the first 1,000 miles or so.
While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as itā€™s no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
My go to source on new car break in periods:

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html#pwjt-4

Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And itā€™s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once youā€™ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engineā€™s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, thatā€™s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

During the new car break-in period, take note of the following tips:

• For the first 200 miles, new tires will not yet provide full grip. This is because a release lubricant used in the manufacturing process has to be worn away from the tire surface. Adjust your driving accordingly to prevent accidents.
  • Similarly, the brakes wonā€™t become fully effective for the first 300 miles as the brake pads and discs will need to adjust to one other. You should therefore drive cautiously.
  • The shock absorbers and springs will also need some time to become fully effective. Thatā€™s why you should not push your new car to its limits during the first 1,000 miles or so.
While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as itā€™s no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on.
1,300 miles?? And that folks is why I drive a Honda instead of a BMW.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
First shift from the dealer was at redline.

IMO it's fine to run it to redline a few times - just avoid sustained loads, lugging, or extended time at one RPM or high RPM which is pretty much what the manual says.

As I've said before, if you've ever bought a car with non zero miles... those miles were hard. I know how I test drive cars. When they dyno a new engine... they run it to redline.

Don't bring this up on YT though unless you want a million replies from worry warts who won't exceed 3k until they have thousands of miles (if ever).

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-00154 (deceased)
when i picked up mine, there was 22 miles on the odo. someone likely had a great time burning those miles and it wasn't me.

i finished the break-in, gently, for the next 600, dropped the oil at 650, and she runs fine.

enjoy your FL5. HONDA MAKES GREAT MOTORS... this is my eighth time owning the brand and they've all treated me well!
My car had 26 miles when I hopped into it for the first time. It sort of scares me to think that the first 26 miles was some transport person or individual at the dealership hooning the car.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
And yet the cars seem to survive those early hard pulls at the dealer.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
My car had 26 miles when I hopped into it for the first time. It sort of scares me to think that the first 26 miles was some transport person or individual at the dealership hooning the car.
Well ~15 of those miles are from final test at the factory, I believe? Thatā€™s how it was when I bought my ā€˜09 Si. It had 14 miles on it (from the factory test) and not a single mile more. This is back when dealers understood that buyers for Siā€™s are limited and that the same small crowd of buyers didnā€™t want to buy the cars with ANY extra miles on them. Dealers would not even let people test drive them unless they were serious and sitting at the desk working a deal with the salesperson.

I need to check my paperwork to see how many miles were on my CTR at time of purchase. I want to say it was like 11 miles or something like that.

Last edited:

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
Well ~15 of those miles are from final test at the factory, I believe? Thatā€™s how it was when I bought my ā€˜09 Si. It had 14 miles on it (from the factory test) and not a single mile more. This is back when dealers understood that buyers for Siā€™s are limited and that the same small crowd of buyers didnā€™t want to buy the cars with ANY extra miles on them. Dealers would not even let people test drive them unless they were serious and sitting at the desk working a deal with the salesperson.
There's no way they drove ~15 miles at the factory. I've seen CTRs with less delivery miles. Personally mine was at 18 and I worry about it sometimes lol
Sponsored