• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Which page in the manual can I find out about the recommended break in time and procedure?
It's on page 498-499 of the owner's manual. The break-in information is incredibly vague and not all that helpful. It's worth noting there's no Type R-specific break-in period or rules as the note applies to all Civics. Do with that information as you wish. Some heed the guidance in the owner's manual, while others are on the dyno and/or track with less than 50 miles on the clock.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
While not in the US owners manuals, wasn’t there a note in EU owners manuals that 1000 km is the recommended break-in period for the Type R? I’d have to dig around for it, but I recall seeing a specific note about this that didn’t get published in US manuals (for whatever reason). Likely an oversight.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It's on page 498-499 of the owner's manual. The break-in information is incredibly vague and not all that helpful. It's worth noting there's no Type R-specific break-in period or rules as the note applies to all Civics. Do with that information as you wish. Some heed the guidance in the owner's manual, while others are on the dyno and/or track with less than 50 miles on the clock.
Yikes! I'm just hoping to have 2000 miles by the time my first track event with the FL5 rolls around.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Thank you. Reads like the previous gen manual. I think I will just do the same as I did previously with the FK8. Easy on the first 600 miles and slowly work up to occasional redline. Not that I can go fast on local roads anyway.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
While not in the US owners manuals, wasn’t there a note in EU owners manuals that 1000 km is the recommended break-in period for the Type R? I’d have to dig around for it, but I recall seeing a specific note about this that didn’t get published in US manuals (for whatever reason). Likely an oversight.
I suppose that tracks because 1,000 kilometers is about 600 miles.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
As I approached the 500 mile mark I would take it a little bit over 4k. Say to 4500 or 5000 but at half throttle. Didn't unlock 7k till around 550 miles and even still at partial throttle.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
You'll be fine. These motors seem very stout and after the first 500 miles the engine is pretty broken in. I would def change the oil out if it gives you a peace of mind, however the break in oil is pretty packed with moly so you might want to keep it in until the first oil change.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
You'll be fine. These motors seem very stout and after the first 500 miles the engine is pretty broken in. I would def change the oil out if it gives you a peace of mind, however the break in oil is pretty packed with moly so you might want to keep it in until the first oil change.
I'm planning on tracking on the factory oil and then changing it out for Motul after the event.

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)
I tracked mine at Mid-Ohio at the 300 mile mark. I did not hammer the brakes hard, and maybe redlined at 7k a few times, likely on accident. I did hold in the 4.5-6.5k range for each session. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about break it... i'll just change fluids at the shortened equivalent based on RPMS, not miles.

Bullitt44

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR, Porsche 911 GT3 and GT4RS
2000 miles here.

Car definitely got better with the first 1000 miles.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
I'd do mine at 1k km. Probably overkill, but that's just what I do with every car I own.

BTW, has anyone tried using Ravenol motor oil in their FL5 yet? I use it in my GRY and find it excellent, particularly the DFE grade stuff. Same goes for their MTF. Ravenol is highly recommended and widely used in Europe.