• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First FL5 oil change mileage?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
yeah issues arising from oil changes don't typically show until well over 100k miles or during an engine tear down ... but i am just thinking am i losing out on any benefits from the fill oil that is meant to be there longer than usual to work through... but after that change it frequently every 3-5k
I personally don’t think you are losing anything from it. But each person has a different opinion. I don’t really post too much on this since it’s a polarizing topic. I have had a lot of cars, always with the same approach and never ever had engine issues. Even with my subaru’s which are known for being time bombs.
Sponsored

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
I personally don’t think you are losing anything from it. But each person has a different opinion. I don’t really post too much on this since it’s a polarizing topic. I have had a lot of cars, always with the same approach and never ever had engine issues. Even with my subaru’s which are known for being time bombs.
i appreciate your honest opinion, it helps too hear others, personally when i owned 90s cars i always replaced oil ever 3k kms but this CTR is my 2nd brand new car and I might be over thinking that initial oil from factory

Manettino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R, 2019 Cayman GTS
It’s a polarizing topic on any forum. On the 718 Porsche recommends every 10k miles, on my E92 M3 BMW recommended every 15k miles with 10W60. And that was on a car that ate bearings for breakfast. So I just do every 5k on all cars I own. At the end of the day, it’s what you’re comfortable with.

Coming from German cars, I did my first oil change at 1k miles because I sure as hell wasn’t going to track it on break in oil. From here on out, I’ll probably stick to the factory recommended every 5k miles. I get that synthetics have gotten a lot better, but these engines run insanely hot on track - my intake air temps were almost 100 degrees hotter than ambient, and I would feel a lot better knowing there’s fresh oil every 5k miles.

Last edited:

MT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '14 Accord Coupe v6 MT
Yeah 5K or once in a year is a good practice for oil Change I do get wheel alignment with it

first oil change on my CTR was done at 4500 miles with oil life at 40%

before the maintenance minders and synthetic oil it was 3K intervals never had any issues of low oil pressure lights

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I just found out that my free oil change from my local Honda dealership was with semi synthetic 0w20. Have others experienced this as well?

No wonder it's free.... Changing that shit out soon

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I just found out that my free oil change from my local Honda dealership was with semi synthetic 0w20. Have others experienced this as well?

No wonder it's free....
The dealership strikes again.

TurboZed-R

First Name
Dalan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR
Here is my stance on break in oil changes. Hard break in along with early changes = happy engine in my own experience.
11th Gen Honda Civic First FL5 oil change mileage? 1000001287
11th Gen Honda Civic First FL5 oil change mileage? 1000001288
Sponsored