• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Viet_Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
This just in!

2023 Honda Civic Type R at Lightning Lap 2023
Beating the old Type R Limited Edition's front-drive record by 1.9 seconds, the new Type R rewards you for impatience.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a42387050/2023-honda-civic-type-r-lightning-lap-2023/

Lap Time: 2:58.8

"... On top of that, Honda offers Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that give this car, with 61.7 percent of its weight on the nose, the second-highest level of grip of any front-driver we've tested in Turn 1 (1.06 g's), trailing the previous-gen Type R Limited Edition by 0.02 g.

Its 2:58.8 lap is a new front-drive record and 1.9 seconds quicker than the old Type R Limited Edition...."

🙌
Sponsored

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
yeah but if it was snowing the sausage edition would win.
not sure I agree...

have to level the playing field...
when the pavement is dry, then the condition is favorable for both the GR and the FL5.
In fact, the GR should win in the dry cause it's AWD...have you looked at it from this perspective?

You're saying for the GR to win, the pavement must be wet.
so maybe it is still fair to tie one boxers hand behind his back, then throw him in the ring to fight another boxer with both hands freed?!? or send your football plays out on wet field with regular tennis shoes with no spikes to guard against strikers with spiked shoes?!?

Again,
when it's dry, the playing field is level and the GR STILL LOST WITH CUP 2R's!!!! 😁
I'm gona have to chill a lil :thumbsup:

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
not sure I agree...

have to level the playing field...
when the pavement is dry, then the condition is favorable for both the GR and the FL5.
In fact, the GR should win in the dry cause it's AWD...have you looked at it from this perspective?

You're saying for the GR to win, the pavement must be wet.
so maybe it is still fair to tie one boxers hand behind his back, then throw him in the ring to fight another boxer with both hands freed?!? or send your football plays out on wet field with regular tennis shoes with no spikes to guard against strikers with spiked shoes?!?

Again,
when it's dry, the playing field is level and the GR STILL LOST WITH CUP 2R's!!!! 😁
I'm gona have to chill a lil :thumbsup:
I was being sarcastic, guess it wasn't obvious.

AWD isn't a benefit in the dry, the added weight makes up for any gain in traction coming out of corners. If you start talking 400-500 hp then FWD/RWD might struggle to get the power down and AWD could be superior.

So for these two cars I think it comes down to development, and Honda is better at building track cars. Honda is the gym rat and Toyota is more like the guy who plays basketball on weekends.

LeoA86

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Nice to see it beat the chorizo GR that was also on Cup2s.
My thoughts exactly, that car is the "hardcore version" of the gr corolla. Lightweight, carbon bits, rear seats removed etc.

LeoA86

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I was being sarcastic, guess it wasn't obvious.

AWD isn't a benefit in the dry, the added weight makes up for any gain in traction coming out of corners. If you start talking 400-500 hp then FWD/RWD might struggle to get the power down and AWD could be superior.

So for these two cars I think it comes down to development, and Honda is better at building track cars. Honda is the gym rat and Toyota is more like the guy who plays basketball on weekends.
So both cars in this case weigh almost the same. Car and driver has the corolla at 3187lbs vs the type r at 3174lbs. Not much, the type r how ever does have more power 315vs300 hp and more torque 310vs295. Also this test shows both the type r and corolla with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. The difference there is the size, type r is at 265 vs 245 on the corolla. I feel as if the corolla makes up with the power difference by having all wheel drive and a good set of tires. The civic makes the most of it's power use with the wider tires and less drive train loss. All in all the type r won by less than 1 second. A win is a win.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
So both cars in this case weigh almost the same. Car and driver has the corolla at 3187lbs vs the type r at 3174lbs. Not much, the type r how ever does have more power 315vs300 hp and more torque 310vs295. Also this test shows both the type r and corolla with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. The difference there is the size, type r is at 265 vs 245 on the corolla. I feel as if the corolla makes up with the power difference by having all wheel drive and a good set of tires. The civic makes the most of it's power use with the wider tires and less drive train loss. All in all the type r won by less than 1 second. A win is a win.
Probably more fair to compare the GRC to the FK8 since it's an older platform and Toyota's first shot at a hot Corolla. It's an impressive showing for the GRC.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Not only is the FL5 impressive but makes you wonder what the engineers could have done with another 5k in play money. What lap time could a $49900 sticker priced FL5 bring? Hell even offering trofeo Rs like on the RS3 would have been worth a couple seconds.

Also interesting how much slower the rest of the 4 cyl field is.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
What tyres was the LE on when it set the previous record? If not Cup 2s, then the comparison isn't really fair in my opinion.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
the one thing that has me laughing is that most fk8 owners simply cannot appreciate how great the fl5 is, they really think honda spent all these 6 years from the fk8 to the fl5 to only put out a new type r that is not as good

no doubt the fk8 is a great car, but they need to open their eyes and realize a japanese built type r is always going to be better than a european one, as the fl5 is literally an improvement all around

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
the one thing that has me laughing is that most fk8 owners simply cannot appreciate how great the fl5 is, they really think honda spent all these 6 years from the fk8 to the fl5 to only put out a new type r that is not as good

no doubt the fk8 is a great car, but they need to open their eyes and realize a japanese built type r is always going to be better than a european one, as the fl5 is literally an improvement all around
The head scratcher for me is why wouldn’t they want the FL5 to be a better car? If Honda never built a better Type R than the First Integra Type R none of us would even be having a discussion right now. It all boils down to envy at the end of the day. I hope the next Hybrid Type R looks better then and performs better than FL5. If the price is out of this world and I can’t afford it I’m not going to shit on it though.
Sponsored