• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mass

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
I look foward to the ITS because its more supply. I might even get one because I use to have an Acura Type S that I loved.
Bonus is my local Acura dealer is MSRP only, so if its 47k. 3k more plus more luxury amentities and dont have to deal with my local Honda dealers bs is worth looking at.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Soooo...will this cause further upward pressure on FL5 street pricing and even FK8 prices?
Which were already beyond strong before this information hit?

I read somewhere there were roughly 48,000+ FK8's sold from 2017-2021. That is twice a '400/month' production rate.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Soooo...will this cause further upward pressure on FL5 street pricing and even FK8 prices?

I read somewhere there were roughly 48,000+ FK8's sold from 2017-2021. That is twice a '400/month' production rate.
Yes. I think the writing is on the wall. The FL5 is highly unlikely to reach the same production numbers as the FK8. The FK8 was limited production too…but, the world was a different place during the prime of its production years.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Yes. I think the writing is on the wall. The FL5 is highly unlikely to reach the same production numbers as the FK8. The FK8 was limited production too…but, the world was a different place during the prime of its production years.
As a new FL5 owner I have been curious to know if the production levels will reach the FK8 levels. I had a slight concern about paying markup(5k) and losing value within the next couple of years. I just made a very rudimentary approximation of each plant, Swindon(2.3 million sq ft), vs Yorii(1.5 million sq ft). Based on that I would say, no FL5 production will never reach FK8 due to plant size capacity alone. I think NA will get 3500-5000 cars a year.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
As a new FL5 owner I have been curious to know if the production levels will reach the FK8 levels. I had a slight concern about paying markup(5k) and losing value within the next couple of years. I just made a very rudimentary approximation of each plant, Swindon(2.3 million sq ft), vs Yorii(1.5 million sq ft). Based on that I would say, no FL5 production will never reach FK8 due to plant size capacity alone. I think NA will get 3500-5000 cars a year.
You can't use measurement of size to predict production. Swindon was also making all the normal Civic hatchbacks versus only making the FL5 in Japan. Don't pay markup if you're worried about resale.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
You can't use measurement of size to predict production. Swindon was also making all the normal Civic hatchbacks versus only making the FL5 in Japan. Don't pay markup if you're worried about resale.
It looks like they produce other cars in Yorii. Unfortunately even last October when I was searching for a car, most of the MSRP lists were already full.

https://global.honda/about/group/yorii.html

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
That's right. Production capacity and production targets are two very different things.

juanmasubbie

First Name
juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla, FL5 Type R 02999, 04/05 FXT, 10 RDX
This car will never be an msrp car. I bought one a few weeks ago and the car is just at another level of brilliantness. Something about the FL5 that feels special. It is no doubt an incredibly well built machine. Feels much more expensive and another level to my GR.

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
This car will never be an msrp car. I bought one a few weeks ago and the car is just at another level of brilliantness. Something about the FL5 that feels special. It is no doubt an incredibly well built machine. Feels much more expensive and another level to my GR.
How are you gonna say it will never be an MSRP car when many people have gotten them for MSRP already? Sure it's harder to find but they're out there

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360

only 20k FK8's made it to the US

juanmasubbie

First Name
juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla, FL5 Type R 02999, 04/05 FXT, 10 RDX
How are you gonna say it will never be an MSRP car when many people have gotten them for MSRP already? Sure it's harder to find but they're out there
There is always the lucky few. All I'm saying is that this FL5 "feels" like a more expensive car. Thus making it even harder to justify for a dealer letting it go at retail.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
This car will never be widely available (an-delete) at msrp (car-delete). I bought one a few weeks ago and the car is just at another level of brilliantness. Something about the FL5 that feels special. It is no doubt an incredibly well built machine. Feels much more expensive and another level to my GR.
Fixed that for you since I believe that's what you meant. I agree with that statement. There are a few of us who secured vehicles at MSRP but it's disingenuous to suggest it's easy to find those deals. I'd venture to guess <5% of the deals to this point were secured at MSRP. I don't recall the FK8 being widely available at MSRP either even deep into the production run and Honda produced far more of those vehicles relative to the FL5 projections.

I cannot recall in recent times the demand for a mass produced automobile ever being this high. It's clear Honda did a fantastic job bringing this car to life but the marketing folks deserve a ton of credit. They've unleashed an incredibly compelling marketing campaign to raise the demand to a fever pitch. I'm keenly interested to see how or if the demand curve changes as the FL5 moves later into its production cycle.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Best possibility is that some FL5's come back on the market with low miles nd clean history and allow more people to drive the dream.
That is what helped me on the FK8.
If ICE cars get phased out, ICE vehicles may go up - not down in value. Sort of like the way that manual transmission F430's and F360 Ferraris or Audi R8's with a gated manual command much higher prices. So an ICE vehicle with a manual - money.
The fact that Toyota is trying to synthesize a manual transmission - shifter and all - in their future EV's should tell you something.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
So this did go as planned for America awww shucks.
Sponsored