• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
All I hear is that all the supply lines and material shortages are a thing of the past and yet we still can't get regular parts to fix most of the damn cars. I think it's all artificial hold ups now on everything.
Sponsored

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I don't know about it being artificial. They planned to produce X amount of cars per month, and they most probably aren't changing that because his car is not a money maker for Honda.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
No it's not a moneymaker like the high volume lower trims or the SUV's, crossovers and even trucks- but they still sell everyone they make, so why not make more?
The more you make of something the more profitable - why?- because any development costs get amortized over more sales.
Margins low? Fine, charge the dealer more, raise the MSRP. they are mostly going out the door above MSRP - not one Type R ever has sold below MSRP - not the 10th gen, not the 11th gen.
The supply chain issue seems to be corporate common sense and judgment.
Yes, rarity does help keep pricing up and demand higher - but the demand stems from the basic greatness of these cars - I don't have Jay Leno's money or garage space. So the number of car models out there that offer what the Type R does is tiny. Basically, other hot hatches if you want room, everyday practicality and a great driving experience.

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
No it's not a moneymaker like the high volume lower trims or the SUV's, crossovers and even trucks- but they still sell everyone they make, so why not make more?
The more you make of something the more profitable - why?- because any development costs get amortized over more sales.
Margins low? Fine, charge the dealer more, raise the MSRP. they are mostly going out the door above MSRP - not one Type R ever has sold below MSRP - not the 10th gen, not the 11th gen.
The supply chain issue seems to be corporate common sense and judgment.
Yes, rarity does help keep pricing up and demand higher - but the demand stems from the basic greatness of these cars - I don't have Jay Leno's money or garage space. So the number of car models out there that offer what the Type R does is tiny. Basically, other hot hatches if you want room, everyday practicality and a great driving experience.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Car manufacturers and dealerships have quietly figured out that low-production vehicles can be very profitable. In fact they can use base trim models on assembly lines to produce derivative special edition cars to sell at higher prices. Even certain hand crafted cars with high price tags can offset production costs better than high volume low priced cars.

the second part of this is manufacturers all saw that decreased sales volume due to low inventory and rocketing prices was churning out profits.

Low inventory did not necessarily indicate a very high demand at all (as many narratives would have us believe during pandemic). It led people to pay big dollars to “compete” for vehicles. Even as inventory increases prices remained relatively high while they continue to harp on the idea of “shortages” and production limitations. Make no doubt, having fewer vehicles is on purpose. Buyers also trended towards having cars that not many people have.

dont think car manufacturers haven’t taken notice. The artificial hype for having something different like EV and badges like “Type R”, “Gazoo Racing” “Nismo” “Dark Horse” etc. are no accident.
We are just one of the niche targets for Honda/Acura as Type R/S has a certain meaning to us in terms of quality and performance. Humans have always been susceptible to fear of scarcity and attraction towards uniqueness. Both the CTR and ITS are highly profitable as every single one has been sold with long waitlists.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Something i've not seen mentioned...
What helps a TON to keep production costs down, is for every car to be identical. While the FL5 does have a lot of great features, those features are not optional that would need lower-volume orders, or special orders/specs from parts suppliers, or special treatment on the production/assembly line. Honda can more easily project factory and parts supplies to get volume discounts. Keeping the manufacturing process identical for all units was a great way for Honda to use that savings to make every car higher quality.

Given that there were apparently so few changes to the 2024 MY, along with an increase in base price... i am thinking that is helping Honda's profit margin. They may be saving up so they can do some interesting changes for 2025.

Here's a question... If Honda does offer some great options in 2025, or if they come out with a special edition... would you trade-in your 2023/4 for the new model?
What kind of change would motivate you to trade for a 2025?

nodnarb901

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Hello new Type R owner here With a newb question. My dash CTR plaque number is 9500.
Assuming they built 400 a month in 2023 for the rest of the world that would be 4800 CTRs.
i read somewhere else after the first 100 cars they just threw the dash plaques in a large bin and put them on randomly. I assume my 9500 plaque number includes the cars sold in Japan plus the rest of the world?

sacherel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Hello new Type R owner here With a newb question. My dash CTR plaque number is 9500.
Assuming they built 400 a month in 2023 for the rest of the world that would be 4800 CTRs.
i read somewhere else after the first 100 cars they just threw the dash plaques in a large bin and put them on randomly. I assume my 9500 plaque number includes the cars sold in Japan plus the rest of the world?
The 400 per month is specifically for USA. They are building much more monthly to satisfy ROW as well.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

Yes to your last question. Japan pre sold out, I think it was 10k or 20k initially.

nodnarb901

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Ok that explains it. Our dashboard numbers in the us also include the 10k-20k sold in Japan.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@1971Camaro I love my FL5, but would definitely consider an FL5 LE if they make one. Setting cost, markups, and rarity aside and simply assuming I could get one, it’s one of the few cars I would even consider trading my FL5 for. Note I am a bit of a Honda fan too. So it’s not necessarily all about features that would pull me out of the seat of my current car. An FL5 LE would be the ultimate last version of its breed. That alone might make me want it. :)

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Similar to the fk8, I'm sure we'll get more of a touring model with a smaller wing, softer (ITS) dampers, heated seats/wheel and maybe different wheels. Not sure I'd personally upgrade, but I can see this type of life cycle model coming out. On the flip side, I can see acura slapping a bigger wing, stiffer (FL5) dampers, and some sportier seats(FL5) and marketing it as a more hardcore version. Basically, parts bin specials for both.
Sponsored