• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
Ok, so I locked the valve open. It does sound better if the windows are down but doesn't seem to like the lack of back pressure while cold. Warm, it runs the same as always. I don't think it will be a problem. It makes me wonder how some of these cat back systems are configured, I don't imagine they would keep the valve in their set up. :what:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Ok, so I locked the valve open. It does sound better if the windows are down but doesn't seem to like the lack of back pressure while cold. Warm, it runs the same as always. I don't think it will be a problem. It makes me wonder how some of these cat back systems are configured, I don't imagine they would keep the valve in their set up. :what:
Some do and some don’t

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Anyone know what the valve actually does? So I also opened my valve (fully stock exhaust) and I compared with my friend’s car with valve closed. It sounds exactly the same valves open or valves closed. Cold start as well as revving. I can clearly see my valve is open while his was closed.

Is it because the stock resonators are muting too much of the sound rendering the valve ineffective?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Anyone know what the valve actually does? So I also opened my valve (fully stock exhaust) and I compared with my friend’s car with valve closed. It sounds exactly the same valves open or valves closed. Cold start as well as revving. I can clearly see my valve is open while his was closed.

Is it because the stock resonators are muting too much of the sound rendering the valve ineffective?
At idle I don’t think there’s enough exhaust flow to make a difference in sound. I drove with the fuse removed for months, then put it back. The only difference I noticed was more soot on my center pipe with the fuse removed.

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044

The resonators damp the sound a lot, but I also found the artificial sound further makes it hard to hear the exhaust. I have the car set to individual with same as +R except engine sound, and valve fuse pulled to minimize the artificial sound.

The settings don't really allow you to turn it off completely so the fuse pull helps, and some people pull the ads module.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
The resonators damp the sound a lot, but I also found the artificial sound further makes it hard to hear the exhaust. I have the car set to individual with same as +R except engine sound, and valve fuse pulled to minimize the artificial sound.

The settings don't really allow you to turn it off completely so the fuse pull helps, and some people pull the ads module.
So I was standing outside by the exhaust on both cars so no effect of the speakers lol. But anyway yea, it seems like the difference is reeeally minor if anything. I think it’s just placebo. Maybe more noticeable if you cut out the resonator?

Has anyone tried cutting out the center pipe muffler like people used to do on the FK8? I just realized that doesn’t seem to be a thing on the FL5 Forum

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

Valve fuse pull doesn’t have anything to do with the artificial sound. The artificial sound is entirely fabricated, like video game sounds. I turn the engine “noise maker” to Comfort mode and it is either turned off or it is so low that I can’t tell if it is on. The only way to be sure it is off is too disconnect it behind the dash.

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
Valve fuse pull doesn’t have anything to do with the artificial sound. The artificial sound is entirely fabricated, like video game sounds. I turn the engine “noise maker” to Comfort mode and it is either turned off or it is so low that I can’t tell if it is on. The only way to be sure it is off is too disconnect it behind the dash.
Yeah I know, that is why I have the engine sound turned to comfort in individual, but I thought that also changes when the valve flap opens. So if you have set sound down, but pull the fuse you will get valve always open.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah I know, that is why I have the engine sound turned to comfort in individual, but I thought that also changes when the valve flap opens. So if you have set sound down, but pull the fuse you will get valve always open.
No. The engine sound setting doesn’t affect when the valve opens. The valve is entirely controlled by throttle. It’s separate from the sound module.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The valve is controlled by RPM, throttle position, as well as the "Engine" setting

This post has the various valve positions across different drive modes: https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/there’s-a-reason-honda-made-active-exhaust-don’t-disable.53334/post-887033
Thanks! 🙏
I knew I was over-simplifying and not explaining correctly…and admittedly was also being lazy to look up Jester’s data, which I knew existed.

What I was (poorly) trying to explain is that there’s no direct correlation between the electronic sound module and the valve. As such, pulling the valve fuse doesn’t affect the sound module. Likewise, disconnecting the sound module doesn’t affect the valve.

They’re related in the way the ECU controls them together (per drive modes, throttle position, etc.), but breaking either of these branches doesn’t affect the rest of the tree.
Sponsored