• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

fj80psi

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95,06,08 Land Cruisers, MX P85D, 24' Type R, 356
Good advice from the other except one caveat, don't torque your lug nuts between each session. Wheels/brakes need to be stone when torquing. If you torque them after coming off a hot session your will over torque them and snap lug studs. Just do it at the start of the day and maybe after lunch when they cooled off.
Great Advice. i had a customer who did this and snapped Studs on a regular basis.
Sponsored

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
i wouldn't go past the maximum negative camber (without pins) on a street car. you'll probably get around -1.6 +/- 0.2. beyond -2, you're looking at aftermarket suspension parts and uneven tire wear. just not worth it on a street car IMO.

after each session, look at the triangle located on the sidewall. tire wear shouldn't go past the triangle. if it is, bump up the tire pressure. that will stiffen the sidewall. you may find that you may need go to as high as 40psi. with the stock 4s tires, i don't think you'll need more than 40psi to prevent extreme sidewall rollover.

1676418400066.png
I just read this and my jaw dropped a bit. DO NOT PUT 40PSI COLD INTO YOUR TIRES ON A RACE TRACK. I ran on my pilot sports. Cold pressure 26psi front and 27psi rear. After getting off the track they were 35 front and 33 rear.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
are you brand new to HPDE? if you are, just replace the brake fluid with some high temp DOT 4.

all your time/money should be focused on yourself and how to understand, read, and control the car. this means getting driving coaches and seat time.
This is probably the most sound advice seeing that it's your first time. That being said this would be my list:

Stainless brake lines
Castrol SRF brake fluid
Factory brake pads

...and nothing else. You could get out there and decide that tracking just isn't for you, or you could fall in love with it. If you fall in love with it, then you'll naturally want to increase your investment!

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
I would suggest that even stainless lines are not needed. I've owned multiple cars with and without such lines and there's not enough difference to matter. Certainly not one that matters to a beginner.

As Point By says, stock pads are totally fine as they are decent Ferodo DS2500 pads from the factory. The main thing about brake pads is they just need to have enough life left. I would suggest no less than 60%-75% life left. Like 6mm if it's 8mm when new.

Tifighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
I would suggest that even stainless lines are not needed. I've owned multiple cars with and without such lines and there's not enough difference to matter. Certainly not one that matters to a beginner.

As Point By says, stock pads are totally fine as they are decent Ferodo DS2500 pads from the factory. The main thing about brake pads is they just need to have enough life left. I would suggest no less than 60%-75% life left. Like 6mm if it's 8mm when new.
HI All -new to the FL5, and new to the forum. Just wanted to review this - the stock pads are Ferodo 2500s? That’s a pretty good pad for a bone stock car from the factory…

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
HI All -new to the FL5, and new to the forum. Just wanted to review this - the stock pads are Ferodo 2500s? That’s a pretty good pad for a bone stock car from the factory…
Damn, I could have sworn I saw some cross reference that they were equivalent but I went and looked at the box and it says Pad Material: Ferodo 4495 on the box. Maybe I was hallucinating. I did some googling but I don’t know what that’s equivalent to.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Just found out there is a racetrack being built in my backyard here in the Pacific Northwest. Now having a car worth racing, I'm interested in getting involved but am curious about the 3-5 top priorities for tracking an otherwise stock vehicle. I know a couple of these are brake pads, wheels and/or tires, and brake fluid, but what else? Trans fluid? Better oil? Suspension mods?

What all should I be considering when thinking about tracking the FL5?
[/QUOTE

Just found out there is a racetrack being built in my backyard here in the Pacific Northwest. Now having a car worth racing, I'm interested in getting involved but am curious about the 3-5 top priorities for tracking an otherwise stock vehicle. I know a couple of these are brake pads, wheels and/or tires, and brake fluid, but what else? Trans fluid? Better oil? Suspension mods?

Lots of good information given, but don’t forget to include some prerequisite safety gear for yourself like gloves, shoes, helmet, and a suit. Although they can be pricey, you are far more expensive to repair! Happy motoring Bro!

Tifighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
Damn, I could have sworn I saw some cross reference that they were equivalent but I went and looked at the box and it says Pad Material: Ferodo 4495 on the box. Maybe I was hallucinating. I did some googling but I don’t know what that’s equivalent to.
I found this. Interesting description.
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Considerations IMG_8327

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Considerations IMG_8328

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic

Fellow PNW’er! Could you provide more details on this new upcoming track?

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

Tifighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
Do you have a part number on the box you looked at?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
If you're a beginner, you can absolutely use the stock brake setup without any issues, just make sure to do the pedal dance to turn off the rear brake vectoring.

As you increase your skills, it's wise to move up to better fluid and pads for sure, but to all those track rookies who just got their CTR, don't over think it.

Last edited:

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I do agree that a beginner can most likely be on stock fluid and pads but it also depends on what track you are running at, some tracks are easy on the brakes, others aren't. Also just because you are a beginner does not absolutely mean you will be easy on the brakes, it can be the opposite and be actually harder on the brakes than advanced driver so I always say, at least do the brake fluid, put some SRF in there, yes its expensive but its worth knowing you not going to build your fluid. Pads are good to have too but I did run my first 5 events with stock pads (different car) and was totally fine but track I go to the most is not the hardest on brakes.
Sponsored