• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Flashing High Beams (night driving)

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This really is no big deal, but just wondering if other owners are experiencing this? Quite often while driving at night I am having opposing traffic flashing their high beams at me. I assume they think I am driving with my bright lights on. I would say this happens to me at least once each time I am driving at night.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Do you have the auto-brights on? I had to turn this feature off because the system was not fast enough to turn the brights off until I had already blinded someone approaching my car in the opposite direction.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
The LEDs are pretty bright and, if not aimed properly, can look like the highs are on. That being said I have noticed people who actually drive with their high beams on because they are oblivious. Also, as said above, if you haven't turned off the auto high beams yet, do it. Another pretty useless feature for lazy people.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Do you have the auto-brights on? I had to turn this feature off because the system was not fast enough to turn the brights off until I had already blinded someone approaching my car in the opposite direction.
This. If you have not turned off auto-high beams, you are almost assuredly blinding people.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
Agreed. Turn it off.
I haven't yet had a car that does the auto high beam reliably. My CTR and my wife's Honda Accord react way too slowly, if they work at all.

OP
OP

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm well aware of the auto-high beam feature and I can assure you I don't ride around at night with my high beams on. I think maybe as someone mentioned the LEDs can appear very bright and I also think the way the head lights are formatted on the CTR may make it appear like the high beams are on. The high-beam lamps are located between the two regular lamps on either side. I think it looks to other drivers like the high beams are on because of the two regular lamps illuminated on each side.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think you’re right. People probably think you have your brights on because they see 2 sets of lights on, even though both sets are the low beams.@Samurai1225

I’ve never seen a car with incorrectly aimed headlights from the factory…though I suppose it can happen. As a test, maybe you can turn your CTR’s lights on and park it, then approach it (in another car) to see if the lights are shining a bit too much toward oncoming traffic.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I have had this happen, when I know my high beams are not on. Sometimes it is because of the angle of the road - makes it look like they are on if you are heading uphill and they are coming downhill at you.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I have yet to be flashed and I rarely use the high beams in my commute. It could be people seeing the split low beam lights and assuming you have the high beams on?

ThunderPigeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Crystal Black Pearl Civic SI
Happens to me all the when my high beams are off. They are just bright lights. As stated by others road angles can make them look brighter. I usually just flash them back.

OP
OP

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have yet to be flashed and I rarely use the high beams in my commute. It could be people seeing the split low beam lights and assuming you have the high beams on?
I think this is exactly what is happening.
Sponsored