• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is anyone backpedaling from Type R to an Si?

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I've considered it, but I have two little ones, so having a backseat option is nice. I may have to revisit the 86 though since it has at least some semblance of a back seat.
Why do you need 12 doors in your garage when you have 4 people in your household?

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I was more referring to the type of person looking to buy an FL5 in the next year or so. You have to really want one to put up with the markups and the general difficulty in buying one. Of course a few years from now if we can walk in to a dealer with a checkbook and drive out in an FL5 there will be a broader audience for the car.

Still though, even if you donā€™t feel like a fanatic, most normies will think you are after hearing that you bought a $25,000 Civic with a $20,000 Type R option package. :D

Full disclosure, I might consider an FL5 in a few years, if they ever come back down to earth.
The limited supply and fanbase this will never happen.

People are forgetting the OG supra days. This will be similar. But as it's last of an era no one is going to want to sell unless it's due to repo šŸ˜‡

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
The limited supply and fanbase this will never happen.

People are forgetting the OG supra days. This will be similar. But as it's last of an era no one is going to want to sell unless it's due to repo šŸ˜‡
You bet there will absolutely be repos.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Current used prices on Autotempest show FK8s in my region around the mid-40's to 50's for low mileage examples. What that tells me is that Honda knows the market and is capturing that markup in the MSRP for the FL5. Dealers are taking it even further. Its a business decision that's good for Honda. If I was a Honda executive, I would doing the same thing, unfortunately. Why leave money at the table? Enthusiasts will pay the premium. I have this feeling that if tech stocks and bitcoin hadn't tanked in 2022, these forum posts wouldn't exist. People wouldn't be batting an eye over the CTR ADM markups and would be head over heels for the FL5.

Honda has been making lots of good business decisions for this generation of cars to raise cash flow for EV investment, but they conflict with the car enthusiast in my. The USA Si de-contenting compared to the Canadian model is the one that pisses me off the most, but again, it makes sense from Honda's business strategy. Dropping the 2.0T from the Accord makes sense, but damn, I was disappointed. "Good business decisions that piss me off".

Despite the de-contenting of the Si, I still find it to be a great value proposition amongst its competitors. It still has a lot of things I want for less than 30k + plenty of $ leftover for mods. I prospectively budgeted for the CTR and could stretch to a max $41-42k. The Integra doesn't make sense because I won't pay $7k for adaptive dampers and a great sound system. Anyways, once pricing for the CTR was announced and with the Accord 2.0T disappearing from the next gen car, Honda made my decision for me. Looks like the Si will be my next car, stiff suspension be damned. The goal is Si at MSPR or bust, and I have time to wait to find a good deal.

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
How interesting. Having literally just driven the SI and Integra 6 speed A spec back to back, I felt it was a very easy decision to opt for the Integra. The additional cost was worth it to me, and respectfully, the differences are more numerous than just the audio system and adaptive dampers. The practicality (hatch) and comfort played a big role in my decision to opt for the Integra over the SI, but there were several other factors present. Admittedly, age/family status certainly plays a role here, at least it does in my particular situation.

But one thing is for sure. The new CTR is not a $55k plus car, as is evident by the Honda-set MSRP, regardless of what used FK8s are selling for. As I previously stated, I wish everyone whoā€™s after one the very best, but in doing so I hope that they are cognizant of the financial ramifications. Iā€™m sure that most here are, however I also agree with a fellow poster that itā€™s quite foreseeable that before too long, itā€™s not inconceivable to expect repossessed FL5s to hit the market in a big way. With all of that said though; if folks want to pay tens of thousands above MSRP to acquire one, itā€™s their money, and I do wish them the best as we only live once. And one more thing:

Happy Thanksgiving all šŸ˜

TeslaHonda

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Perf
I'd happily take the Si for 30ish than overpay for the CTR at 60ish. There's sooo many better options once you breach that 50k threshold.

Naija Bull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Backpedaling on a Type R? Yes. Into an Si? Hell no. Haha
Hey my brother has an Elantra N (276hp/289 torque) and wants to trade for the Kia Forte GT (201hp/195 torque) he test drove. As ridiculous as that sounds, ppl do trade down.

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I'd consider an Elantra N if it didn't look so terrible. It looks like there's been spy shots of a 2024 though this summer, so maybe a refresh would look much nicer.

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
The N actually looks a hell of a lot better with the front bumper paint matched. Its the Hyundai recalls that make me paranoid, and I understand any auto maker is prone to recalls; ie airbag recalls (which were airbag vendor specific, not auto manufacturer fault). However the number of reported engines cutting out on the freeway and previous spontaneous combustion issues, is just enough for me to say, naaaah.

11th Gen Honda Civic Is anyone backpedaling from Type R to an Si? xs1ghorizuh81

Last edited:

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
The N actually looks a hell of a lot better with the front bumper paint matched. Its the Hyundai recalls that make me paranoid, and I understand any auto maker is prone to recalls; ie airbag recalls (which were airbag vendor specific, not auto manufacturer fault). However the number of reported engines cutting out on the freeway and previous self combustion issues, is just enough for me to say, naaaah.

xs1ghorizuh81.jpg
Looks like an Audi with the paint matched bumper, but yeah, because of Hyundai reliability its a hard pass.

Last edited:

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Looks like an Audi with the paint matched bumper, but yeah, because of Hyundai reliability its a hard pass.
I've had a great experience playing lemon with Hyundai, I bought an ND Miata with that settlement. Their shitty engines (all thetas) are a joke. Type R to Hyundai is a total mistake. Not a downgrade.
Sponsored