• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jester’s Hondata thread

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Good morning guys!

Wanted to get the ball rolling on this thread about information on Hondata tuning on the FL5. This is a space to discuss questions about the software and to report findings. This will also serve as a space to discuss what my approach has been towards tuning the car and some of the things I have found so far and what my goals were when deciding on what to change on the software.

Cheers,
Jester
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So wanted to make a proper introduction and to get started on this thread with some findings. This post will be edited along the way so be patient with me since I do have a very busy schedule and this will take a considerable amount of effort to do it the way I want to.

My training is in the medical field as a Physician. I have a passion for cars since I was young. Did not really get into ECU calibrations until my early 20’s back in the late 2000’s. Started with my personal cars and my friend’s cars. Fast forward to 2014 that I decided to pursue more knowledge and get proper training on calibrating ECU’s. My main go to’s are full standalone ecu’s since its where I did my training on. I have tuned many cars as a boutique tuner exclusively by word of mouth and being very picky on what projects to work on since I never intended for this to be a job. I never wanted to lose the passion for it. Due to demand of clients to do more affordable tuning solutions I decided to get into reflashes with different tuning softwares, Cobb for Subaru, Hondata for s2000’s, K series engines, Diablosport for some USDM vehicles specifically Srt-4’s, HP tuners also. But this year I will be doing this for 10 years on a professional level.

Now to my tuning approach, I always focus between a balance of making power reliably while focusing on engine longevity as the main goal. Most of my customers track their cars in the most extreme environments. To finish a race season with a engine intact is no easy feat especially when you are delving into uncharted territory with a platform. I have had subaru’s run full race seasons on stock engines without a single engine failure which if you know subaru’s they have a rap for blowing ringlands. What I have figured out that works best is a combination of a safe tune but with proper education of the customer on how to drive the car in a performance fashion to stress the engine as little as possible.

Now to the main event and what we are here for. The Civic Type R FL5 and Integra Type S DE5. They use a Bosch ECU which is a departure from their usual engine management controls. This ECU is smart, and in my opinion one of the better OEM equipments out there. It has a dedicated wideband so accurate AFR’s(Air fuel ratios) integrated straight into the ECU. This system also operates on a permanent closed loop system which means that the ecu is able to adjust fuel trims on the fly while cruising and even at wot unlike a lot of OEM ecu’s out there that run a Closed/Open loop system. FL5 and DE5 specific unlike the FK8 this system uses a MAF frequency instead of voltage actually giving you more room to adjust parameters without maxing out the stock MAF sensor as quickly as a voltage set up on previous gens. This engine is also direct injection, which has many advantages but also some drawbacks. DI engines can run leaner mixtures due to fuel being injected directly into the cylinder. Benefits of this is cooling the cylinder and controlling combustion really well. Drawbacks are that fuel does not hit the valves to keep them clean and also working with a very high fuel pressure to overcome cylinder pressures. This comes with its own set of challenges, expensive fuel pump upgrades, require larger injectors than Port injection counterparts, less available time to inject fuel during engine operation.

More to come this week.

Last edited:

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I just installed Hondata on mine. Currently just using the 93 octane tune it came with. I got a free Phearable Stage 2 tune that I don't know if I'm going to install on it. Currently just have an RV6 downpipe and AWE Touring exhaust.

Even with the fairly conservative tune from Hondata, it definitely livened the car up. Getting rid of rev hang and the extra HP is definitely noticeable. This is my first tuned car so I'm still kind of apprehensive and nervous, don't want to blow something up. I will probably get a custom tune from Derek Robinson once I have full bolt-ons (sure would be nice if PRL would come out with that intake...).

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just installed Hondata on mine. Currently just using the 93 octane tune it came with. I got a free Phearable Stage 2 tune that I don't know if I'm going to install on it. Currently just have an RV6 downpipe and AWE Touring exhaust.

Even with the fairly conservative tune from Hondata, it definitely livened the car up. Getting rid of rev hang and the extra HP is definitely noticeable. This is my first tuned car so I'm still kind of apprehensive and nervous, don't want to blow something up. I will probably get a custom tune from Derek Robinson once I have full bolt-ons (sure would be nice if PRL would come out with that intake...).
Well in this place you might be able to understand better what is going on software wise. You are also free to choose your own tuner, both Phearable and Derek are reputable so you really can’t go wrong with either. I do hope to be on that list someday now that I’m officially going to tackle the FL5 and DE5 tuning as a new business venture.

Just finalizing the last steps with the moderators to be able to become a page sponsor. And waiting on the new website to roll in.

Thank you for being here and I hope you learn something new.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Well in this place you might be able to understand better what is going on software wise. You are also free to choose your own tuner, both Phearable and Derek are reputable so you really can’t go wrong with either. I do hope to be on that list someday now that I’m officially going to tackle the FL5 and DE5 tuning as a new business venture.

Just finalizing the last steps with the moderators to be able to become a page sponsor. And waiting on the new website to roll in.

Thank you for being here and I hope you learn something new.
I legit just bought a domain, and considered joining the list of sponsors, but mine is for HPDE track apparel! I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I’m just waiting for a reputable vendor nearby that can jailbreak my ECU. Will be watching this space.

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m just waiting for a reputable vendor nearby that can jailbreak my ECU. Will be watching this space.
As of this time, best bet is to send it to Hondata unless they are coming close to you on Jailbreak tour. Have had a couple of friends send the ECU’s no problem and turn around time is very quick.

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I legit just bought a domain, and considered joining the list of sponsors, but mine is for HPDE track apparel! I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop!
Lets do it! My domain is bought and paid for, also website should be launching today to follow up with the moderators.

I will post up a lot of info, don’t know of any tuner that will post up informative stuff like this to better understand the car so lets see how it goes.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
Excellent thread. I have an engineering background so got the blessing of picking up new things quickly.
Back in the day, I learned how to tweak my FA5.
Downloaded VitViper basemap as my starting point.
Tweaked fuel, ignition, cam phases, etc
My car had I/H/E, Ported IM, ZDX TB and RDX Injectors. Was running great with the fuel trims in the +/- 1% and 0 knocks. Was pretty fast for a 2liter N/A engine. Not bad for a noob.

Made many friends after making their 8th Gens run better with my tweaks.

In addition to that learned how to tweak my 4B11T(2015 Ralliart) using ECU Flash. Just boost, fuel and ignition. Minor things to stabilize the AFRs and eliminate knocks. There was a good guide about it that was my bible.

Would love to learn about how to tweak my DE5 too. I understand the basics pretty well and Im fully aware that the way this ECU works is totally different than my previous experience.
Got a lot to read and learn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Excellent thread. I have an engineering background so got the blessing of picking up new things quickly.
Back in the day, I learned how to tweak my FA5.
Downloaded VitViper basemap as my starting point.
Tweaked fuel, ignition, cam phases, etc
My car had I/H/E, Ported IM, ZDX TB and RDX Injectors. Was running great with the fuel trims in the +/- 1% and 0 knocks. Was pretty fast for a 2liter N/A engine. Not bad for a noob.

Made many friends after making their 8th Gens run better with my tweaks.

In addition to that learned how to tweak my 4B11T(2015 Ralliart) using ECU Flash. Just boost, fuel and ignition. Minor things to stabilize the AFRs and eliminate knocks. There was a good guide about it that was my bible.

Would love to learn about how to tweak my DE5 too. I understand the basics pretty well and Im fully aware that the way this ECU works is totally different than my previous experience.
Got a lot to read and learn.
Glad to hear that man! I’m from PR too, I will be offering custom tuning for the platform but will also offer consulting and help with datalogs for those that will want to tackle it themselves.

Glad you are here too!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
As of this time, best bet is to send it to Hondata unless they are coming close to you on Jailbreak tour. Have had a couple of friends send the ECU’s no problem and turn around time is very quick.
No matter how quick the turn around time, I can’t do it because it is a family car and at any time I need to drive it, I can’t have any downtime.

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No matter how quick the turn around time, I can’t do it because it is a family car and at any time I need to drive it, I can’t have any downtime.
Yes if its the family car then I understand, do take into account that the maximum time for downtime will be 2 days. They overnight it back to you, but in your situation its tough for sure.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
Some Hondata dealers have the capability of doing the jailbreak on site.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Some Hondata dealers have the capability of doing the jailbreak on site.
@TW00Si The only other person I know doing FL5/DE5 ECU unlocks in the US is Derek Robinson. He is in PA and (with an appointment) you can drive up and have your ECU unlocked, no problem. It's a bit of a drive but much closer than California!

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@TW00Si The only other person I know doing FL5/DE5 ECU unlocks in the US is Derek Robinson. He is in PA and (with an appointment) you can drive up and have your ECU unlocked, no problem. It's a bit of a drive but much closer than California!
This! I know Derek is doing unlocks in person. I don’t have that capablity so can’t offer it.
Sponsored