• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Will this work with the Milltek valve controller?

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Just a breakdown of aftermarket FL5 Exhaust prices for reference:

AWE Track (FP included, SS Piping, no valve, no mufflers): $1,195 - $1,245
Remark (FP included, FP included, SS Piping, no valve, single rear muffler, dual tip): ~$1,500
AWE Touring (FP included, SS Piping, no valve, single muffler): $1,645 - $1,695
MBRP (FP included, SS Piping, valved, two included mid-sections, double muffler): $1,930 - $1,950
Milltek Non-Resonated (FP included, SS Piping, valved, double muffler): $2,050 - $2,681
Milltek Resonated (FP included, SS Piping, valved, double muffler): $2,271 - $2,900
HKS Legamax (no FP, no valve, piping is SS & muffler + tips are titanium): $2,350
A'Pexi N1 (FP included, valved, piping is SS & muffler + tips are titanium): $2,500
Remark Full Titanium (FP included, no valve, single rear muffler, dual tip): ~$2,850
Spoon (FP included, SS Piping, no valve): $4,000
R1 Titan Double Tip (no FP, Titanium, valved): $6,000 - $6,200
R1 Titan Triple Tip (no FP, Titanium, valved): $6,600 - $6,800

I'm a dealer for most of these brands, and I'm providing the forum objective information rather than throwing out generalized statements such as, "well I paid this much for that system for an unrelated car x amount of years ago, or yeah Type R tax". Here's where all the exhaust prices currently stand for these systems.

Our shop car went back to MBRP several times for different muffler design iterations, and to perfect the valved setup which doesn't rattle or have any fitment issues. MBRP's price is highly competitive for a system that checks every single box. I could've easily said to MBRP that they can make a few adjustments to their FK8 exhaust, delete the valve, and release it for the FL5 around the $1,400 - $1,500 mark, with 3-4 months of R&D. They've instead spent the time on completely redesigning the system over the last 10 months.

I am super picky with exhaust systems after experiencing 5 different setups on our shop FK8, with and without an aftermarket downpipe which makes a huge difference. I can say that I'm happy with what MBRP has created because they implemented all the suggestions I made; they have valued my years of independent testing, feedback from customers, and general participation on forums and social media seeing what folks want out of an exhaust system mated to the FK8 and FL5. Let's not forget that I've had 6 months of seat time with this exhaust, doing everything from daily driving, to several hours at highway speeds for long distances, track days, with and without a downpipe etc. All this went into consideration.

No dig at the company, but as an authorized dealer I can offer anyone the AWE Track for example if you want something easier on the wallet...but I'll also tell you that it was too loud from the get-go and I changed it to the Touring after a week as I couldn't bear the incredible amount of drone it has even with a stock downpipe. Maybe it didn't matter to me when I was 19, single, and with a short commute. At 30, married, over a dozen exhausts tested since 2017 on different 10th and 11th Gen shop builds, and having a long commute I know that it's not for me.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Why slip joint instead of v-band or flanges?
1) Slip-on comes at a lower cost as it's less complicated
2) More adjustment with slip-on

We have and had all 3 styles with various exhausts on various project cars, and the different ones we offer. Some are concerned about exhaust leaks, I've not personally experienced leaks with a proper install.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Just a breakdown of aftermarket FL5 Exhaust prices for reference:

AWE Track (FP included, SS Piping, no valve, no mufflers): $1,195 - $1,245
Remark (FP included, FP included, SS Piping, no valve, single rear muffler, dual tip): ~$1,500
AWE Touring (FP included, SS Piping, no valve, single muffler): $1,645 - $1,695
MBRP (FP included, SS Piping, valved, two included mid-sections, double muffler): $1,930 - $1,950
Milltek Non-Resonated (FP included, SS Piping, valved, double muffler): $2,050 - $2,681
Milltek Resonated (FP included, SS Piping, valved, double muffler): $2,271 - $2,900
HKS Legamax (no FP, no valve, piping is SS & muffler + tips are titanium): $2,350
A'Pexi N1 (FP included, valved, piping is SS & muffler + tips are titanium): $2,500
Remark Full Titanium (FP included, no valve, single rear muffler, dual tip): ~$2,850
Spoon (FP included, SS Piping, no valve): $4,000
R1 Titan Double Tip (no FP, Titanium, valved): $6,000 - $6,200
R1 Titan Triple Tip (no FP, Titanium, valved): $6,600 - $6,800

I'm a dealer for most of these brands, and I'm providing the forum objective information rather than throwing out generalized statements such as, "well I paid this much for that system for an unrelated car x amount of years ago, or yeah Type R tax". Here's where all the exhaust prices currently stand for these systems.

Our shop car went back to MBRP several times for different muffler design iterations, and to perfect the valved setup which doesn't rattle or have any fitment issues. MBRP's price is highly competitive for a system that checks every single box. I could've easily said to MBRP that they can make a few adjustments to their FK8 exhaust, delete the valve, and release it for the FL5 around the $1,400 - $1,500 mark, with 3-4 months of R&D. They've instead spent the time on completely redesigning the system over the last 10 months.

I am super picky with exhaust systems after experiencing 5 different setups on our shop FK8, with and without an aftermarket downpipe which makes a huge difference. I can say that I'm happy with what MBRP has created because they implemented all the suggestions I made; they have valued my years of independent testing, feedback from customers, and general participation on forums and social media seeing what folks want out of an exhaust system mated to the FK8 and FL5. Let's not forget that I've had 6 months of seat time with this exhaust, doing everything from daily driving, to several hours at highway speeds for long distances, track days, with and without a downpipe etc. All this went into consideration.

No dig at the company, but as an authorized dealer I can offer anyone the AWE Track for example if you want something easier on the wallet...but I'll also tell you that it was too loud from the get-go and I changed it to the Touring after a week as I couldn't bear the incredible amount of drone it has even with a stock downpipe. Maybe it didn't matter to me when I was 19, single, and with a short commute. At 30, married, over a dozen exhausts tested since 2017 on different 10th and 11th Gen shop builds, and having a long commute I know that it's not for me.
Unity we are not knocking on you, you do provide great service and that is probably one of the best made exhaust video I have seen in years really great job on that.

We are just playing around with how the current exhaust market on the Type R is. Because for some reason it is more expensive than other cars that we cannot comprehend. Maybe it’s the R&D cost or something else. I can’t say since I don’t make exhausts for cars.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
Unity we are not knocking on you, you do provide great service and that is probably one of the best made exhaust video I have seen in years really great job on that.

We are just playing around with how the current exhaust market on the Type R is. Because for some reason it is more expensive than other cars that we cannot comprehend. Maybe it’s the R&D cost or something else. I can’t say since I don’t make exhausts for cars.
Agreed, look at the HKS exhaust for the FK8 and now the FL5. Its almost the same thing but $1k more... frustrating.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5

I expect projected sales based on vehicle volume comes into play. The Mustang example - the customer base there is massive, probably the single biggest performance exhaust market (so also likely saturated with options, but yeah.) Type R is like the Supra, GR Corolla. Tiny number out there to sell to and you see a lot pricier exhausts for what you get as the manufacturer can't count as much on volume for economies of scale or to recoup development cost.

Nice work Unity and MBRP! I'm currently in calls, can't wait to listen to this. I haven't heard a video of CTR exhaust I like 😆 hoping that doesn't change as I don't need to spend $2k on an exhaust!!!

getGroyped

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
has anyone found the horsepower gains this new exhaust will provide? AWE has proven their horsepower gains and that’s the only reason why I’m reluctant to try this one.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)

I appreciate the kind words :)

I also miss the days when Catted Downpipes were $500, and most Exhausts were around $1K. I've seen that goal post move up every year the last 11 years I've been in the aftermarket, so perhaps I'm just normalized now to the fact that this is how much an exhaust costs. I agree some are unnecessarily expensive.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I had a listen, resonated with the valve closed is probably the all-around best I've heard from this car. Boy you can tell when the valve opens haha.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
I expect projected sales based on vehicle volume comes into play. The Mustang example - the customer base there is massive, probably the single biggest performance exhaust market (so also likely saturated with options, but yeah.) Type R is like the Supra, GR Corolla. Tiny number out there to sell to and you see a lot pricier exhausts for what you get as the manufacturer can't count as much on volume for economies of scale or to recoup development cost.

Nice work Unity and MBRP! I'm currently in calls, can't wait to listen to this. I haven't heard a video of CTR exhaust I like 😆 hoping that doesn't change as I don't need to spend $2k on an exhaust!!!
Very true, economies of scale is a big factor in determining pricing. I got to work with several MBRP team members throughout this process, and beyond performing their own cost analysis they compared their offerings to others in the market.

Feel free to reference these clips as well for sound clips, with the 27WON Catted DP

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
has anyone found the horsepower gains this new exhaust will provide? AWE has proven their horsepower gains and that’s the only reason why I’m reluctant to try this one.
Hmm maybe this is something I can try if a local gets this exhaust as we didn't get the chance to, but to be honest we've never really looked for gains with an exhaust since the factory systems on both the FK8 and FL5 are both good past 450whp+.

What I can tell you is that Throttle House used our FL5 for comparisons against the DE5, and as seen in all other reviews as well the DE5 was just a hair quicker with its better low down torque. All we had at the time was the test unit catback by MBRP, everything else was stock.

Once that video shoot was done the next week we put on the 27WON Kuro, 27WON Downpipe, PRL Intercooler, and dyno tuned with DRob. 430whp/387wtq on 93. Torque was as expected but amazing HP numbers considering stock Intake, stock Inlet, stock fuel system. Derek did not point out any restrictions other than reaching the ceiling of the stock fuel system.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
I had a listen, resonated with the valve closed is probably the all-around best I've heard from this car. Boy you can tell when the valve opens haha.
One of the best aspects is having the two mid sections included in the price of the exhaust :)

When we were there a few months back for the Si/Integra Exhaust system I saw an even larger resonator on the shelf and asked MBRP if it fits the FL5, to which they said yes, and I asked to have it put on for my reference.

Not that it's required but I wanted to see fitment and if it made a difference, which there was but perhaps became too quiet. So it won't be an optional extra with this exhaust at the time of purchase, but it is something I could source for folks separately if they ever wanted it.

Another optional extra is Tips in either Silver Polished or Black. Again, post purchase, by requesting Unity or MBRP :)
Sponsored