• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I appreciate the kind words :)

I also miss the days when Catted Downpipes were $500, and most Exhausts were around $1K. I've seen that goal post move up every year the last 11 years I've been in the aftermarket, so perhaps I'm just normalized now to the fact that this is how much an exhaust costs. I agree some are unnecessarily expensive.
It is the way the world is now, everything is expensive. Grocery shopping 2 items $100😂.
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
has anyone found the horsepower gains this new exhaust will provide? AWE has proven their horsepower gains and that’s the only reason why I’m reluctant to try this one.
I'd say to not let that influence your buying decision. Any aftermarket exhaust from a seemingly reputable manufacturer is going to easily pickup the marginal improvement that is available over the factory "catback". As far as the exhaust goes, the only notable gains are in the downpipe. I always recommend to take test data from manufacturers with a grain of salt, especially on things like intakes and catbacks that are notoriously hard to improve on these days.

Upgrade the catback but do it for better sound and appearance, not a number on a chart that is easily manipulated. :)

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
One of the best aspects is having the two mid sections included in the price of the exhaust :)

When we were there a few months back for the Si/Integra Exhaust system I saw an even larger resonator on the shelf and asked MBRP if it fits the FL5, to which they said yes, and I asked to have it put on for my reference.

Not that it's required but I wanted to see fitment and if it made a difference, which there was but perhaps became too quiet. So it won't be an optional extra with this exhaust at the time of purchase, but it is something I could source for folks separately if they ever wanted it.

Another optional extra is Tips in either Silver Polished or Black. Again, post purchase, by requesting Unity or MBRP :)
The flexibility of having both resonated and non resonated version is very nice. It gives you the most adjustability so good call on that it should fit a broader market like that.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
has anyone found the horsepower gains this new exhaust will provide? AWE has proven their horsepower gains and that’s the only reason why I’m reluctant to try this one.
Without tuning the gains will be minimal, just a couple of HP here or there. Most of the power comes from the downpipe unless you are pushing a lot of air out of a bigger turbo.

Edit: @Two Step Performance said it first and I did not see it😂.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
This is probably my favorite exhaust for the fl5 Ive heard so far. However it sounds like there is some rattling/vibration noise, can be heard around the 1:30 min mark in the video. That would drive me nuts

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
This is probably my favorite exhaust for the fl5 Ive heard so far. However it sounds like there is some rattling/vibration noise, can be heard around the 1:30 min mark in the video. That would drive me nuts
I know what you're referring to, this was present on the prototype when this video was shot last summer.

All corrected in later protypes and the production versions 👍🏼 I gave reference to this a few posts back

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I know what you're referring to, this was present on the prototype when this video was shot last summer.

All corrected in later protypes and the production versions 👍🏼 I gave reference to this a few posts back
Thank you for doing the legwork!

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Ok it's official... I've ordered the MBRP exhaust from Unity for my FL5. That might make me the first one, perhaps? Is anyone else doing this? I haven't been first at anything since conception.

I'll follow up with a breakdown of my thought process for anyone interested in a little bit as well.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/rkkhNFPWoYYMa0a3XN" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Yes, DE5 will be out shortly as well :)

Already have a test car with that on, and the factory backfire in Sport+ is amplified to gun shots essentially 😅
Can't wait. This exhaust sounds fantastic on the FL5, and your customization options re: resonator are a great feature!

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Weight savings? Please post resonated version of the exhaust weight vs stock exhaust weight

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
So for anyone interested, here's how I decided the MBRP exhaust was right for me:
  • Before @Unity Performance started this thread yesterday, I was set on buying the Borla ATAK exhaust for the FL5. It's been teased but not released yet. I've had a tab open on my phone for weeks, checking every few days to see if it's available.
  • The Borla styling is a little over-the-top, I admit, but I do tend to idle at overstyled. The tone seemed nice and the brand is well-known, I also figured the construction would be fairly good. Most importantly, it's valved. That's a big deal for me.
  • The pricing is still unknown, but I was prepared for ~$3,200 + Tax + Shipping. It's a lot, but I tend to believe you get what you pay for.
I watched the Unity Performance video last night, liked what I heard, and decided I'd add it to my cart STRICTLY to see what the all-in cost would be... $1950 + Free Shipping. Honestly, not bad, but I abandoned my cart because I have commitment issues, and I was Team Borla for weeks. Also, sometimes vendors offer decent discounts for people with commitment issues (looking at you, AeroFlowDynamics).

I got the standard "Hey you forgot something in your cart!" email, but I disregarded it because there was no discount code. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A short time later, however, I got a personal email from Unity's owner, Humza, asking for my thoughts... no AI crap, a real email asking what I was looking for:
  • After a little back-and-forth, I called Humza (at his request) and we ended up talking for ~45 minutes.
  • He's gone through a LOT of exhausts, and he was able to help me (a novice) articulate what I was really looking for: a valved exhaust, minimal/no drone, loud(ish), solid design/build quality, and something that'll still be livable if/when I add a front pipe.
  • Humza helped MBRP design this exhaust specifically for the FL5 as an exhaust-lover and FK8 + FL5 owner. It's valved, includes the optional resonator, and he seems to genuinely believe it'll be better for my needs (volume and drone-wise) versus the Borla ATAK.
  • This guy seems legitimately proud of this exhaust, and there's something to be said for that.
  • After talking with him for a bit, I remembered seeing the DE5 MBRP exhaust prototype back in December on IntegraForums and geeking out a bit about the sound, so much so that i asked if there would be one offered for the FL5.
My wife believes I need 0 aftermarket exhausts for this car (and she's not wrong), so if I'm getting one anyway, I need to be sure it's not one I'm going to regret if/when I build onto this car. Buy the right thing one time, ya know? Especially if your wife will judge you for it.

Unity's competitor price breakdown here was incredibly helpful--for now, this MBRP exhaust is the least expensive valved option, and I genuinely like the sound. I don't care personally for the Milltek exhaust tone, the A'Pexi tone is ok but it's $700 more than MBRP when factoring in tax, and I don't even need to listen to the R1 Titan to know it would lead to divorce because of the price. Spoon would be cool because it's Spoon, but it's not valved. I'm a sucker for Mugen (King Motorsports knows), but the single-exit design of their FL5 exhaust is a non-starter for me (even if it's valved).

So whether or not the Borla ATAK would be too loud for me, it'll be $1,200-$1,500 more expensive than MBRP with tax and shipping... there are a lot of stupid things I can do with $1,200-$1,500.

Do you know how much LED lighting $1,200-$1,500 will get you? A shit ton. That's how much.

Thank you for the help today, Humza! You turned a looker into a buyer.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Evening guys! First off, wanted to thank @RUNN1N for pulling the trigger on this exhaust !!

Yup, I reviewed "abandoned carts" earlier today on the back-end of my site and wanted to personally reach out to anyone interested, to understand what they were seeking out. Since I don't see his full name here, I'll just say "P" responded that he was cross-shopping with Borla, so to better inform myself I went on to YouTube and watched the preview video of the upcoming FL5 Borla ATAK as well as older FK8 Borla ATAK clips to remind myself since I hadn't heard one in person for some time - there is a local friend who had on on his FK8, and I just remembered that he's now running MBRP as a quieter option. I also went on CivicX and Facebook looking for Borla posts. Borla has one of the cleanest sound rumbles of any exhaust systems but it's not on any lists when people ask for quiet exhaust recommendations.

Let me first say that I'm a Borla fan, and I literally fan boy'd the first time I met David Borla at SEMA. I know that ATAK is the loudest of their 3 main muffler designs (Touring is light, S-Type is mild, ATAK is loud). In P's email he mentioned that he didn't want the most shoutiest of systems when dropping off his kids to school or while his family is with him, so with that info I knew that ATAK may not be suited for him.

We jumped on a call because it's easier, went through more of what P wanted in an exhaust, what I thought of the Borla ATAK and Borla's other muffler styles which they sadly didn't offer for the FK8 so I'm doubtful they'd offer them for the FL5 either. Since the FK8 Borla costs $2,700 USD, and it doesn't look like much of a design change for the FL5 minus adding a valve I'm guessing the FL5 system will have a price of $3100 - 3,200 now that the valve has been added. We chatted about other exhaust systems, mod plans, and some fun banter. P's looking for something that won't disturb the neighborhood but when he wants to hear it, it's there. And he's saving $1k+ in process, which he's pointed out will go towards his LED projects 🤩

I'm looking forward to P's feedback on this exhaust, and I'm open to conversations with anyone if they're looking for exhaust or any parts for your build as I love the tailoring process and getting to know who I'm actually offering service to. Off-topic but I hope to meet several of you at the CivicX Tail of the Dragon event in April!

Side note...someone from Nebraska also ordered the exhaust within minutes of P's order, so I'm gonna reach out to him now, and try to see if it's a forum member as well!

Goodnight all :)

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Weight savings? Please post resonated version of the exhaust weight vs stock exhaust weight
I'll get this for you tomorrow :)

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5