• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PPF was supposed to minimize chips

mills_\nm/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HRV
Took my car to get PPF’d and just noticed this chip. I looked at the last pic I had taken at the shop and didn’t see any chip. It’s small but irritates me thanks to my ocd 😔 So much for PPF minimizing paint chips.

11th Gen Honda Civic PPF was supposed to minimize chips AB204444-AACA-46D6-927C-024FFCBC4B37
Sponsored

OP
OP

mills_\nm/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HRV
Is that part actually covered by PPF? It would be very difficult for a tiny rock to puncture through PPF, and if it did happen, you would see a hole in the film.
Yes it’s covered by PPF. I don’t know if the chip was made when the installer removed the tail lights?

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Yes it’s covered by PPF. I don’t know if the chip was made when the installer removed the tail lights?
if its covered by PPF and there is no hole, and the chip wasn't there when you dropped off the car, then its reasonable to assume it got chipped in the shop. It'd be hard to imagine a rock hitting the ppf and making a chip like that, without ripping a hole in it

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
This is why I held off on PPF for my car after talking to a few friends. Without templates available shops need to use a razor to cut the PPF to shape. Sorry to hear this happened!

OP
OP

mills_\nm/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HRV
This is why I held off on PPF for my car after talking to a few friends. Without templates available shops need to use a razor to cut the PPF to shape. Sorry to hear this happened!
They used a template. I think this chip was caused when they removed the tail light. Other than the chip the PPF is great

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
It appears the tail light housing caught the paint upon removal or reinstall. If a razor went down to the paint when scoring the film, the paint wouldn't chip like that. There would be a cut in the paint that would manifest like a thin line that is difficult to see unless you examined the paint very closely. Too bad this happened to you but it's the unfortunate risk you take having your vehicle worked on.

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R Championship White
Took my car to get PPF’d and just noticed this chip. I looked at the last pic I had taken at the shop and didn’t see any chip. It’s small but irritates me thanks to my ocd 😔 So much for PPF minimizing paint chips.

AB204444-AACA-46D6-927C-024FFCBC4B37.jpeg
When I had gotten my car PPFd there was a seam along the body line on the side of the front bumper that paint was taken off. The place said from factory the paint was "very thin or flaking" so when they were adjusting the film it picked up some of the paint, which is a hell of an excuse. That could be what happened to yours, or they just chipped it with a razor or something

OP
OP

mills_\nm/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HRV
When I had gotten my car PPFd there was a seam along the body line on the side of the front bumper that paint was taken off. The place said from factory the paint was "very thin or flaking" so when they were adjusting the film it picked up some of the paint, which is a hell of an excuse. That could be what happened to yours, or they just chipped it with a razor or something
That is some bs! I hope they fixed your paint! I have a feeling they chipped it when removing the tail light. The installer even told me they seen the chip prior to laying the film! Don’t know why they wouldn’t notify me to ask if I still wanted to PPF or at least ask if I knew there was a chip on a brand new vehicle!!!?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
That is some bs! I hope they fixed your paint! I have a feeling they chipped it when removing the tail light. The installer even told me they seen the chip prior to laying the film! Don’t know why they wouldn’t notify me to ask if I still wanted to PPF or at least ask if I knew there was a chip on a brand new vehicle!!!?
The ppf shop I go to recently started recording a brief walk around of each vehicle prior to taking it in for work. It takes about 60-75 seconds to record and serves as a record of the vehicle's condition when they received it. I inquired about the genesis of this new practice when I recently dropped of a car for ppf and they explained a tense situation of illegitimate damage claimed by a customer. The recorded walkaround isn't a panacea for these types of issues but, it is a best practice to help determine if a vehicle came in damaged or if the damage occurred while in their possession.
Sponsored